SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Negligent discharge, happy ending.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Negligent discharge, happy ending. Login/Join 
posted
Yes, it did happen in Florida.
Mr. Trigger shot himself at the dollar store and goes to jail.http://m.baynews9.com/content/...er_s_gun_goes_o.html

Less is more.

Posts: 3995 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I don’t understand the “happy” part. Confused

The fact that a felon was in possession of a gun or that we have another story of someone’s dropping a gun in a public place and having it discharge—?

It was good that the law-breaker was arrested, but nothing else about the story seems to be something we should celebrate.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
The fact that he went to jail, maybe?

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

The fact that a felon was in possession of a gun or that we have another story of someone’s dropping a gun in a public place and having it discharge—?

It was good that the law-breaker was arrested, but nothing else about the story seems to be something we should celebrate.

I think the happy ending is that the guy was a felon and shouldn't have had a gun in the first place.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Well, I gess one can say the gun was Trigger happy. Roll Eyes

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Yes, it was good the perpetrator was identified and arrested, but I’d have been much happier if career criminals didn’t have guns to drop. The supposed ease with which such people can acquire guns illegally is one of the most effective arguments possessed by the people who would restrict our gun rights, and this incident is just one more drop in their bucket. I know I’m making a big deal about a relatively minor matter in the grand scheme of gun control, but from my perspective the perpetrator’s arrest was nothing more than an it could have been worse ending.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
The article reeks of too much bullshit.

• .25 caliber. Yeah, they exist. But they're NOT common. Chances are good that it was some other caliber. Next time you're in your local WalMart or your LGS, look for .25 caliber ammo. They won't have it.

• Dropped it on the floor and it went off. Must be a real antique. An antique in .25 caliber. What are the chances?

• Fell from his waistband. No holster. Yeah, maybe he habitually does "Mexican carry" -- he is a felon in possession of a firearm so he is objectively stupid. Yeah, I guess that there are people who are that stupid. But I don't personally know any who are so stupid that they'd prefer Mexican carry over a cheap IWB holster -- even an Uncle Mike's would be preferable to Mexican carry.

Maybe it was a .25 caliber. Maybe it did fall out of his pants while he was doing "Mexican carry". Maybe it's an old antique and it did go off.

But it's more likely that it's a more common caliber modern pistol with all the drop safety features that have been common for about a century. I'd bet that what happened is that he dropped it then, embarrassed and in a hurry, he put his finger inside the trigger guard and pulled the trigger as he picked it up.

The reporters never get this stuff right.

Thanks,

Sap
  •  
    Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Shaql
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Dropped it on the floor and it went off. Must be a real antique. An antique in .25 caliber. What are the chances?

Pretty high I guess. I have a WWII era FN baby in .25.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
    Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
    Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6850 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    4-H Shooting
    Sports Instructor
    Picture of Zecpull
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    An antique in .25 caliber. What are the chances?

If it is a .25 The chance of it being an Antique is better than it not being one.. They dont make them anymore for a reason, And most of them that were made were junk. Jennings comes to mind.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
    > because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
    NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
    Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Thank you
    Very little
    Picture of HRK
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    I don’t understand the “happy” part.

a) he shot himself
    b) he went to jail

at least that my take.

Posts: 23396 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Ammoholic
    Picture of Skins2881
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Yes, it was good the perpetrator was identified and arrested, but I’d have been much happier if career criminals didn’t have guns to drop. The supposed ease with which such people can acquire guns illegally is one of the most effective arguments possessed by the people who would restrict our gun rights, and this incident is just one more drop in their bucket. I know I’m making a big deal about a relatively minor matter in the grand scheme of gun control, but from my perspective the perpetrator’s arrest was nothing more than an it could have been worse ending.

As long as they only get two years for gun running your wish will not come true.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Coin Sniper
    Picture of Rightwire
    posted Hide Post
    I see happy ending here, and some funny

Felon in possession of a firearm drops same, only hurts himself

Wounded felon goes to bayonet point hospital (that's funny right there)

Patched up feeling is arrested and charged, now off the streets (happy ending)

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Who else?
    Picture of Jager
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

A convicted felon named "Trigger" drops a .25 ACP (probably a Raven, which is a joke right there) in a Dollar store where it discharges, hitting him in the ankle, where he is taken to the hospital (Bayonet Point - this story just gets better and better), where police catch up with him to put him back in prison.

This story is so full of win and humor, I'm glad AT shared it.

I would suggest not getting too wound around the axle over criminals having firearms.

They are ALWAYS going to have firearms.

And when they shoot off fireworks and hobble themselves announcing, "Look at me, I'm a winner!", it just doesn't get much better than that.

Posts: 2568 | Location: Phoenix, Arizona | Registered: October 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Frangas non Flectes
    Picture of P220 Smudge
    posted Hide Post
    @Sappersteel: Raven, Lorcin, Jennings-Bryco and about a half dozen other names over the decades. Same company. Same pot metal .25 Saturday Night special. I had one, sold it to a guy who liked tinkering with garbage guns. I replaced it with a Baby Browning in .25 which I also no longer carry. I have no problem believing either pistol would discharge if dropped and landed just right.

You having a hard time believing it doesn't make it impossible, it doesn't even make it unlikely. Just because you can't find .25 ACP at your local Walmart doesn't mean there's not a number of loaded .25's being carried all over this nation. I'll paraphrase Para's reply to a recent thread asking about whether the .25 ACP was obsolete: "You and I will be dust in the ground, and yet the .25 ACP will still be in use. It's the smallest centerfire carrridge and can be chambered in guns that can be hidden where other guns cannot."

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Ammoholic
    posted Hide Post
    I guess the thing that seems happy to me is that LE actually followed up on a felon in possession and arrested him. Heck, he might even face Federal charges if all goes well, not something that would have happened in the not so distant past.

Agreed that from a gun control standpoint it would have been better if no ND occurred, but given that it happened this was a pretty good result.

Posts: 6916 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Get my pies
    outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by SapperSteel:
    The article reeks of too much bullshit.

• .25 caliber. Yeah, they exist. But they're NOT common. Chances are good that it was some other caliber. Next time you're in your local WalMart or your LGS, look for .25 caliber ammo. They won't have it.

• My local Walmarts all have .25 ACP FMJ on their shelves.

It's my understanding that these little .25's are actually popular with the thugs and gangbangers since they can just stuff them right down their pants.

Was probably some kind of junky Saturday night special like this:

Posts: 33773 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Unhyphenated American
    Picture of Floyd D. Barber
    posted Hide Post
    I have one, why? I don't know.

__________________________________________________________________________________
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
    Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
    Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Essayons
    Picture of SapperSteel
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
    @Sappersteel: Raven, Lorcin, Jennings-Bryco and about a half dozen other names over the decades. Same company. Same pot metal .25 Saturday Night special. I had one, sold it to a guy who liked tinkering with garbage guns. I replaced it with a Baby Browning in .25 which I also no longer carry. I have no problem believing either pistol would discharge if dropped and landed just right.

You having a hard time believing it doesn't make it impossible, it doesn't even make it unlikely. Just because you can't find .25 ACP at your local Walmart doesn't mean there's not a number of loaded .25's being carried all over this nation. I'll paraphrase Para's reply to a recent thread asking about whether the .25 ACP was obsolete: "You and I will be dust in the ground, and yet the .25 ACP will still be in use. It's the smallest centerfire carrridge and can be chambered in guns that can be hidden where other guns cannot."

OK.

I stand corrected.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Oriental Redneck
    Picture of 12131
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by SapperSteel:
    quote:
    Originally posted by P220 Smudge:

OK.

I stand corrected.

You need to get out more often, among the common folks, to see that all we can afford is these Saturday Night Specials. Big Grin

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Doing my best to shape
    America's youth
    Picture of MooneyP226
    posted Hide Post
    I have a Sterling pocket pistol that was made in Lockport, NY. Got it as a souvenier of a trip to Lockport, and it's actually a pretty cool little gun. Kind of a rudimentary striker- fired pistol. Precock with manual safety, and a button in the back to disassemble it.

Very accurate little cap gun even out to 15-20 yards- and ammo is readily available here in the Commonwealth of Mass.

A little nugget of history about Sterling, they imported the Sig P232 in the mid 1970s, per:

http://weaponsman.com/?p=12351

Clarior Hinc Honos

BSA Dad, Cheer Dad

Posts: 1624 | Location: on the 42nd parallel  | Registered: November 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post