SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    It would seem I need to learn how to clean a catfish
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It would seem I need to learn how to clean a catfish Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
I can fully butcher and process a deer so I am guessing I can clean a catfish for some good eats!
Used to fish a ton in high school but always put them back. Well my pond is getting a little over run so I guess me and the boys are going to have to catch a few and enjoy.
It is to the point they will come and eat out of your hand.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25417 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
That is a beautiful pond! Catch a mess of those cats, don't bother skinning them, simply filet 'em. A little corn meal, some hot oil in a skillet and you will have a meal fit for a king. Or maybe fit for a a Southern boy with an appetite. Enjoy!

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
Mm.... that's some good eatin right there. Fish n cheese grits please.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12932 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
My Pop-pop drove nail thru a board..
slapped the catfish head's into the the protruding nail
then cut its skin around the neck/head
pulled the skin with a pair of pliers and while peelin him the gut s fall out
when finally skinned, cut his head off and throw him into a bag of cornmeal and salt & pepper and then deep fry him

at any point you (as the skinner) have right to take a swig of (insert tasty beverage here) and keep on keepin on

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Minnow:
That is a beautiful pond! Catch a mess of those cats, don't bother skinning them, simply filet 'em. A little corn meal, some hot oil in a skillet and you will have a meal fit for a king. Or maybe fit for a a Southern boy with an appetite. Enjoy!

Thanks!
It has come a long way. That is me dragging out the first tree I ever took down with a chainsaw.

After a bit of dozer work and rain

And the current view from the front porch just took this not too long ago about 7 years after initially starting. It was stocked initially 5 years ago and has not been fished but I have a 3 year old and a 2 year old that want to get to it.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25417 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
when finally skinned, cut his head off and throw him into a bag of cornmeal and salt & pepper and then deep fry him

at any point you (as the skinner) have right to take a swig of (insert tasty beverage here) and keep on keepin on

That's exactly the way I was taught a long time ago.

Posts: 3454 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
Throw 'em in the dishwasher?

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10704 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Check utube, lots of info there.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
quote:

^^^^ This

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3849 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
you made it too deep! COuld have shot ducks on it at 18 inches and only where hip boots! Smile

Looks like a nice place to relax. Just need some shade.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
Those have got too big,the best size is about a foot or little less long.
I have cleaned cats all my life and the first was with pliers.
About forty years back at K-mart they had in fishing department there was a handy tool the was like pliers with a wide blades.
Those thing work fantastic,still have them,havent been used in 25 years because I discovered Deer hunting.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I believe that's the origin of the saying, "There's more than one way to skin a cat."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, filet them, but also remove the skin from the filets!

We have found that once they get above 3-4 lbs, they get tough and taste kind of strong.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
quote:

^^^^ This

Yeah, we used to do it that way too. A guy showed me a faster, better way to do it.

Just cut down to the spine, right behind the head, filet down to just short of the tail not cutting through the skin at the tail.

Flip that filet so the skin is down, and filet the meat off the skin. Remove ribs if desired.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Beautiful pond.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
quote:

Yes, filet them, but also remove the skin from the filets!

We have found that once they get above 3-4 lbs, they get tough and taste kind of strong.

Layering the filets in mustard in a bowl will draw out the muddy taste. Let them sit in the fridge overnight and rinse them off with cold water before getting ready to cook them. Thoroughly dry with paper towels, then dip in beaten egg. I use corn meal, flour, salt and pepper as my coating, then throw the filets in a cast iron skillet with hot oil. Doesn't take long to fry up to a golden color on each side. Maybe a minute or two for each side. Make some coleslaw to go with it and enjoy.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dean of Law
Picture of heavyd
posted Hide Post
quote:

That's how we do it. They sell fish skinners, basically pliers with a wide nose to grab the skin.

H. Dean Phillips
$99 Gun Trusts
https://nfalawyers.com

Posts: 6614 | Location: Georgia | Registered: December 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Suppressed
posted Hide Post
Is this at your house or do you have a separate property in the country? That's a neat pond!

Posts: 3230 | Location: MD | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10-8
Picture of Apphunter
posted Hide Post
Check meateater on Netflix they have an episode about cleaning catfish I think it is on season 6

Posts: 915 | Registered: November 06, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I learned it Mike's way from my uncle, who was a professional trotliner on the Mississippi River

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post