SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Boy Scouts Of America now open to girls
Page 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boy Scouts Of America now open to girls Login/Join 
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
As an alternative to any scouting program that is being infected with leftist liberal male bovine excrement, might I suggest The Civil Air Patrol. The only downside is, if memory serves, the minimum age to join is 12 years old, but it is a VERY worthwhile endeavor. I was XO for the cadet program in my squadron some years ago and I was thoroughly rewarded with a sense of pride as I helped guide and direct young boys and girls on a path based on military respect, honor, and self confidence.

If I understand correctly (and I could be wrong), the program is now under the auspices of the DHS, as opposed to being a direct auxiliary of the USAF when I was a participant, but I believe it would be at least a good idea to look at the program and see what it's all about today.

Just my $0.02 worth of free advice...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
As an alternative to any scouting program that is being infected with leftist liberal male bovine excrement, might I suggest The Civil Air Patrol. The only downside is, if memory serves, the minimum age to join is 12 years old, but it is a VERY worthwhile endeavor. I was XO for the cadet program in my squadron some years ago and I was thoroughly rewarded with a sense of pride as I helped guide and direct young boys and girls on a path based on military respect, honor, and self confidence.

If I understand correctly (and I could be wrong), the program is now under the auspices of the DHS, as opposed to being a direct auxiliary of the USAF when I was a participant, but I believe it would be at least a good idea to look at the program and see what it's all about today.....

My older cousin came to live with us when I was in Jr Hi. He was an Eagle Scout, joined the CAP, later USAF, I believe retired, two tours in Vietnam.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
My older cousin came to live with us when I was in Jr Hi. He was an Eagle Scout, joined the CAP, later USAF, I believe retired, two tours in Vietnam.

Knew of a very ambitious girl from another squadron who had achieved so much in the program that she received dual appointments to both the Air Force Academy and West Point. I'm sure those had to be some proud parents!!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MrToad
posted Hide Post
Given I've only been a Cubmaster for a few months learning the ropes and getting trained, it's been a real challenge wrapping my head around the rationale and huge changes while trying to keep on top of things, and I agree with Scoutmaster: much of the motivation behind the change is due to money. Sex abuse litigation has probably taken a toll too on their coffers.

It's not cheap getting badges, pins, awards, and such, and I've wondered what the profit margin on those is.

If you like religion, laws or sausage, then you shouldn't watch them being made.

Posts: 3342 | Location: SW Ohio | Registered: April 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:

I would add the Sea Cadets to that list as well.
My oldest daughter didn't like the Girl Scouts and joined the Sea Cadets...

quote:
Knew of a very ambitious girl from another squadron who had achieved so much in the program that she received dual appointments to both the Air Force Academy and West Point. I'm sure those had to be some proud parents!!!

My daughter then went to the Naval Academy. Yes, we are proud parents!

I-Day:

BTW, My nephew made Eagle Scout and will be a plebe (or whatever Army calls them) at West Point this summer.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23943 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScreamingCockatoo:
It's the coveted Eagle Scout accomplishment they want that is missing from GSA.
They have the Gold Award but it's not as recognized as the Eagle which companies look at on a resume.

This is exactly it...its about what the "brand" brings--not anything else altruistic.

Posts: 1721 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
How many 16/17 yr old girls can carry a 60/70 lb pack 10 miles a day through the mountains for fifty miles?

Irrelevant. Most boys can't do that either because their "lifting" consists of an XBOX controller. There are some girls who can--but we're talking about BOY Scouts, not SEALs/Rangers, etc.

I am an Eagle Scout (1990); I've been a Troop Advancement Chair, Assistant Scoutmaster, Scoutmaster; I've taken Scouts to Scout camp in Germany as a SM; Camped all over the US with Scouts.

Both of my boys were in Scouting; one aged out, the other is ambivalent. When discussing this topic, his general consensus is "there are times where I want to be away from girls and their drama...and camp and do outdoors stuff with the guys...all they do is gossip and complain"

Posts: 1721 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Scouts to get free condoms at jamboree

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGguy229:
quote:
How many 16/17 yr old girls can carry a 60/70 lb pack 10 miles a day through the mountains for fifty miles?

Philmont. ( 40 lb packs, maybe)

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:

Signs of the times. Roll Eyes

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGguy229:....Both of my boys were in Scouting; one aged out, the other is ambivalent. When discussing this topic, his general consensus is "there are times where I want to be away from girls and their drama...and camp and do outdoors stuff with the guys...all they do is gossip and complain"

My wife has been a leader in week long summer camps for teen girls for 30 years. I know very well the picture. Smile

Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You saw the date on that article, right? More than fifteen years ago.

Posts: 2452 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
quote:
quote:

And has nothing to do with the BSA. This is about the world wide jamboree, and has been pointed out already, Scouting is coed almost everywhere else in the world.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dallas239:
quote:
quote:
quote:

And has nothing to do with the BSA. This is about the world wide jamboree, and has been pointed out already, Scouting is coed almost everywhere else in the world.

So, society's moral decline started 15 (+) years ago.

But regardless of in the US or in a foreign nation, and if Boys only or coed, to me, free condoms at a BSA World Jamboree is a violation of Scouting principles and a sign of society's moral decline. (BTW, I attended the BSA World Jamboree in 1967 in Farragut Park in Idaho).

No double standards
posted Hide Post
Saw this article this morning.

quote:
Condoms required at Scouts' 24th World Jamboree
Posted By Bob Unruh On 05/21/2018 @ 8:05 pm In APP Frontpage,Faith,Front Page,Health,Politics,U.S.,World | No Comments

The Boy Scouts have decided to accept people who identify as gay and lesbian among their ranks. And girls are welcome now, too, into the iconic organization, which has renamed itself Scouts BSA.

So what’s next?

A mandate that condoms be made available to “all participants” of its global gathering.

It’s among the demands of the World Scout Committee for any host country of a World Scout Jamboree.

That would include the 24th World Scout Jamboree, scheduled July 21-Aug. 1, 2019, in West Virginia.

The Scouts say: “For the first time, a world jamboree will be hosted by three national Scout organizations: Scouts Canada, Asociación de Scouts de México, and the Boy Scouts of America. These three distinct cultures will join together to host the world Scouting community in a celebration of cultural exchange, mutual understanding, peace, and friendship.”

With condoms.

Commenting on the condom policy, John Stemberger, president of the Florida Family Policy Council, wrote that “it is not clear how far down the rabbit hole the Boy Scouts will continue to fall.”

“With the addition of condoms and alcohol, the World Jamboree is starting to sound more like a 1960s Woodstock festival rather than a campout that parents would want to send their children to!”

Stemberger also serves as chairman of the board for Trail Life USA, an alternative to the Scouts that continues to abide by the Boy Scout motto: “On my honor I will do my best to do my duty to God and my country and to obey the scout law; to help other people at all times; to keep myself physically strong, mentally awake, and morally straight.. . .

”http://www.wnd.com/2018/05/condoms-required-at-scouts-24th-world-jamboree/print/

Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
The requirement is in the 2016 World Scout Committee Handbook, page 11, section 7.4.

https://issuu.com/worldscoutin...sjguidelines_en_2016

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
The requirement is in the 2016 World Scout Committee Handbook, page 11, section 7.4.

https://issuu.com/worldscoutin...sjguidelines_en_2016

Is that 7.4 or 7.3 ?

Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
It is in the last paragraph of 7.3.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Dallas239:
quote:
quote:
quote:

So, society's moral decline started 15 (+) years ago.

But regardless of in the US or in a foreign nation, and if Boys only or coed, to me, free condoms at a BSA World Jamboree is a violation of Scouting principles and a sign of society's moral decline. (BTW, I attended the BSA World Jamboree in 1967 in Farragut Park in Idaho).
WOSM is not the BSA.

BTW, The Scouts in UK (the one founded by Lord Baden Powell) has been coed since the 70s. So I guess societies moral decline based on teaching girls scouting skills is really old news.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post