SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Boy Scouts Of America now open to girls
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boy Scouts Of America now open to girls Login/Join 
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Wonder if they will institute all female Troops.

I can't see this functioning "mixed".

Who will watch the chaperones? Who will chaperone the chaperone.

Yeah, I could really see my wife liking me camping with some scouts MILF.

Too much room for hijinx on all levels IMHO.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
The boy scouts is one of the few place my son can go act like a 10 year old boy.

Ah, and now you know why it must be destroyed.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From what I've read lately, this could get them all ready to join the Navy. Eek

Posts: 1345 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BillyBonesNY:

I think that is the least of the reasons to object. I presume you won't be molesting the scouts' moms and that you won't engage in consensual sex with them either. I can't speak to your wife's concerns, but I hope that she doesn't frown on you being around women in general.

Even 10 years ago when my boys were scouts, we had a few moms who came on camp-outs and were active in the troop. They didn't come on every trip, but there were several who came on the extended summer camp outings. Some women were even official leaders - Assistant Scoutmasters and the like, which has been BSA practice for some time. We never had one bit of improper behavior between adult leaders.

It is the mix of the boys and girls that is worthy of consideration. First, there is the obvious potentiality for romance or improper behavior between the co-ed scouts. Of course, this is a potential concern in any mixed sex group of kids. The Scouts, in my experience, have been pretty good regulators of kids' behavior though, so this may be lesser problem. I think the adult leaders can supervise so that this isn't a problem.

Second, there is a fundamental difference in dynamics between single sex groups and mixed sex groups. That is the factor that is most worthy of care. What is lost by including girls? What is gained?

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
It will save them the 2 mile swim to the other side of the lake like I had to do to get to the girl scout camp Wink

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Of course, this is a potential concern in any mixed sex group of kids. The Scouts, in my experience, have been pretty good regulators of kids' behavior though, so this may be lesser problem. I think the adult leaders can supervise so that this isn't a problem.

Perhaps, but not completely and with any reliability. Given the likelihood of what will be characterized by a parent as statutory rape or possible pregnancy, and the then likely lawsuit of everyone involved whether the troop, sponsoring organization and especially the leaders it will crush the ability to attract and retain good leaders.

It already comes with enough risk that it sounds like you, me and many others were willing to take on in exchange for the good for the boys. This just adds another layer to that. A layer which I don't know I'd be willing to take.

Put another way - am I willing to risk my family's financial well being in exchange for this program? Even if not at fault, a suit would crush most of the leaders I worked with financially, not to mention emotionally. And the odds go up a lot! Anybody who argues otherwise has completely forgotten the fervor with which teenagers will scheme to get time alone together for these "activities".

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
Bet this whole thing shows up on a SNL skit this week!!

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14005 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Another casualty in the war on masculinity.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Eagle Scout dad here.

I really think this is about money and numbers and has little to do with emasculating the Boy Scouts.

In my own circles, I see as many moms going on camping trips and off to Scout camp as I do dads.

I know the Boy Scouts have sold off camps, are having trouble attracting boys and young men to the organization. Way too many pulls on kids time.

I love Scouting and think they have a great program for boys. But economic reality is setting in.

Posts: 11219 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sound and Fury
Picture of Dallas239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BillyBonesNY:
Wonder if they will institute all female Troops.

I can't see this functioning "mixed".

Who will watch the chaperones? Who will chaperone the chaperone.

Too much room for hijinx on all levels IMHO.

Women have been Cub Scout den leaders for a long , long time. Before men, even. And it's been several decades since there were any restrictions on female leaders. The youngest cub scouts must have a parent or guardian at all events, which is often a woman. So unless the MILF your wife is worried about is a female scout, then nothing's changed in that regard.

"I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind-swept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace, a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here." -- Ronald Reagan, Farewell Address, Jan. 11, 1989

Si vis pacem para bellum
There are none so blind as those who refuse to see.
Feeding Trolls Since 1995

Posts: 18039 | Registered: February 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I have no issue with female den leaders, we have several in our den. My issue is changing the whole dynamic of the kids group. This will end the scouts I think, cub scouts may go on but boy scouts is now doomed.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
Make no mistake. This is all about money. Scout membership has been declining for years. They see the girls as a new source of income. And like someone said, the scouts are probably counting on the girls to bring back the guys.

Glad my son finished his Eagle. I would not want to be on the camping trips trying to keep them separate at night. And now moms are going to be going on camping trips too. That should be interesting...

Posts: 1440 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
It should make camp outs a lot more popular.

Posts: 8602 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigJoe:
Bet this whole thing shows up on a SNL skit this week!!

They've been on top of the changes in scouting for quite a while.

Posts: 8602 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
I object to the "boy" in Boy Scouts. That is just age discrimination. It's wonderful that girls can join the Boy Scouts-- err-- Girl'N Boy Scouts-- but older women, say in their 50s and 60s-- should also be able to become Girl 'N Boy Scouts. The name, of course, should then be changed to Person Scouts of America.

"Of America," though, sounds hostile to non-documented citizens. And "scouts" has the ring of toxic masculinity about it: you know, going out ahead of everyone to check things out-- all the risk, and "adventure." Toxic!

So............let's see..........we should call it............ --let me get back to you on this one.

In CA it will soon be illegal (kind of) to use gender specific pronouns.

Yeah... I got nothin'. In the language of Political Correctness, there is just no way to say, "Boy Scouts of America." Frown

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Appliance Brad:
Eagle Scout dad here.

I really think this is about money and numbers and has little to do with emasculating the Boy Scouts.

In my own circles, I see as many moms going on camping trips and off to Scout camp as I do dads.

I know the Boy Scouts have sold off camps, are having trouble attracting boys and young men to the organization. Way too many pulls on kids time.

I love Scouting and think they have a great program for boys. But economic reality is setting in.

I'm an Eagle Scout. This makes absolutely no economic sense. All the Girl Scouts aren't going to join the Boy Scouts. BSA is going to gain less than 5% in new membership and lose greater than 10% in current membership. As a Boy Scout in the 1990s, it wasn't exactly "cool" once you got into the advanced teenage years. I can only imagine the ripping boys are going to get once girls are in it too.

I am the father of a 5yr old boy and a 3yr old girl. At that age, gender is indifferent. Heck, they could probably get by with mixed gender Cub Scouts Packs AND Dens without problems. However, teenage hormones are a powerful force and a strong distraction. 20yrs ago the leaders had enough problems making sure the certain kids were getting their psychotropic meds at the right time. Now they will have that and keeping the genders separated at the correct times. And what about the NAME? Will it be changed to The Scouts? Its pretty dumb to keep calling it the Boy Scouts, isn't it?

Posts: 2504 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
They're allowing girls in so the gay boy scouts can have someone to relate to. Roll Eyes

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WELL, what about the girl scouts? I don't see why the BOY scouts would need to let girls in, when they already have the GIRL scouts....unless it's to get to their cookies!!!!!!!!!!! Big Grin

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Appliance Brad, I mean this with all due respect. I think you are beginning to think a bit to much like a politician.

Maybe spending a bit touch much time in that venue my friend.

I don't agree with your opinion on this subject. But if that is truly your opinion. I respect it.

But to your point. Why are the numbers down? In my opinion many do not like the direction the leadership has taken the organization in. And in my opinion it is to make it less about turning boys into men. Taught by men. And more about watering down the whole organization and removing many aspects that some feel offended by or are fearful of.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm an eagle scout and is my brother. Between tagging along to his meetings before I could walk to working an entire summer on camp staff the summer I turned 20, it was a pretty serious part of the 1st half of my life to date. I'm now also an adult leader for my 4th grade son. He's been in since 1st grade. I'm very disappointed about this. Even the Girl Scouts national leader is opposed. Yes they should change their program to make more outdoor activities available.

I texted my bro about this as soon as I heard and he thought it was BS as well. My mom was an adult leader in cub scouts in the 70s and 80s for my bro and myself also thinks it's a terrible idea. Boys just need a place where they can be boys and not worry about girls being present.

They should expand the explorer program and lower the age for that if girls want to join that. In fact just last night I was watching a HBO documentary about Steven Spielberg and was looking at a list of celebrity Eagle Scouts. ( he is one). So many astronauts congressman and other leaders and business executives are Eagle Scouts. ( we disavow Ted Bundy). BSA national is just dead wrong on this IMO.

Posts: 4736 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post