SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Boy Scouts Of America now open to girls
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 16
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boy Scouts Of America now open to girls Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Could be interesting....will they be offering a stripper pole badge?

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Isn't that what the Girl Scouts were for?

Yeah, but Girl Scouts don't really do the same things as the Boy Scouts, so they aren't interchangeable.

Explorer Posts (a Boy Scout variant) have been co-ed for years.

I'd be in favor of leaving the Boy Scouts as for boys only. Expand Explorers for those who want that.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
Suddenly my son is anxious to attend his last year of camp, with the hope of earning the Kayaking merit badge with a 16-year old hottie.

Sounds like he is more interested in motorboating than kayaking Big Grin

Oh, thanks a lot, Jim! I may have cracked a rib laughing!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9127 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
This will prove to be a mistake. But no one will recognize or admit it

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Can the boys sell cookies now, because the cookies are 1000000x better than the popcorn?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I'm just waiting for feminists to demand mandatory slots on NFL teams. Judging by this, anything is possible.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I support this.

The Boy Scouting program is, in my opinion, far superior than the Girl Scouting program as far as preparing kids for adulthood. The leadership skills acquired on the path to Eagle are worthwhile for any gender.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
I'm just waiting for feminists to demand mandatory slots on NFL teams. Judging by this, anything is possible.

Each NHL Team Has an ‘LGBTQ-Inclusion Ambassador’ Now

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Where were they when I was in Boy Scouts?

I like girls. Some of my best friends were girls. Many of them are decent, moral people, but I wouldn’t want my sister to marry one.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
What a cluster.

One of the cardinal rules of BSA leaders is no 1:1 contact. Now they've also got to police the fence they have to erect between boy and girl patrols? Patrols in the throes of teenage hormones and chaos?

Sheesh. Eek

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As an Eagle Scout this pisses me off, as a hetro male who still remembers how girl crazy and horny we were in BSA it worries me...how long till the first B SA pregnancy or sexual assault charge? Will the sell BSA branded condoms to keep in your first aid kit? Does "mess kit" have new meaning?

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
I support this.

The Boy Scouting program is, in my opinion, far superior than the Girl Scouting program as far as preparing kids for adulthood. The leadership skills acquired on the path to Eagle are worthwhile for any gender.

Then the GSA needs to step its game up and make it competitive to BSA.

This is a revenue driven policy change. Once the LDS church completely withdraws from BSA, the organization will be a skeleton of what it once was.

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
I hate to pop the bubble here but my daughter and her friend both joined the Boy Scouts back in the late 80’s. Technically, they were Boy Scouts in name only because most things they couldn’t participate in.

One of the local Veterinarians, had a program that allowed Boy Scouts to volunteer to work in their facility and the girls were both interested in becoming Vets. so they joined the Boy Scouts. They were not members of a Troop but were allowed to join at the Council.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
I hate to pop the bubble here

Nothing popped here - that's a completely different level of engagement.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
Once the LDS church completely withdraws from BSA

For the time being the sponsoring organization has the right to dictate the values of Scouting at the unit level. If a lawsuit or policy change takes this right away, that will be the end of Scouting as we know it.

I am an optimist, but frankly it seems things will inevitably end up that way.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Buried beneath the headlines was the announcement of a new Scout rank: Transgenderfoot.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Not sure what to think about this. Initial reaction was WTF? Then I read the linked article and it sounds like they are going to be separate programs. Ok, I'm a little less outraged but still thinking this hasn't been thought all the way through.

Yes, I was a Boy Scout and the camping trips are some of my best memories of growing up. Especially things like the Lad N' Dad campout with my dad. Yes, I have a daughter who can thread a needle with an arrow launched out of her bow. She can also bait her own hooks, spin a torque wrench and operate an AR-15. Would I want her involved with Boy Scouts? Probably not.

While she is a tomboy from hell she also has a girlie streak. Girls and boys are fundamentally different. Let them have their own activities and organizations and quit trying to pretend that there are no differences.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
as long it stops the petty pissing and moaning, its all good.

what if they each learn from one another about how to treat the other gender.

a portion of the reason that the bsa and gsa exist is,
getting along with other citizen's,
as many single parent homes as there are now ,
I welcome a responsible adult taking the time,
to actually mentor children

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
I object to the "boy" in Boy Scouts. That is just age discrimination. It's wonderful that girls can join the Boy Scouts-- err-- Girl'N Boy Scouts-- but older women, say in their 50s and 60s-- should also be able to become Girl 'N Boy Scouts. The name, of course, should then be changed to Person Scouts of America.

"Of America," though, sounds hostile to non-documented citizens. And "scouts" has the ring of toxic masculinity about it: you know, going out ahead of everyone to check things out-- all the risk, and "adventure." Toxic!

So............let's see..........we should call it............ --let me get back to you on this one.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Has Harvey Weinstein applied for Scoutmaster yet?

As soon as he gets back from his European sex rehab trip. Roll Eyes

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post