SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Boy Scouts Of America now open to girls
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 16
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Boy Scouts Of America now open to girls Login/Join 
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by justjoe:
I object to the "boy" in Boy Scouts. That is just age discrimination. It's wonderful that girls can join the Boy Scouts-- err-- Girl'N Boy Scouts-- but older women, say in their 50s and 60s-- should also be able to become Girl 'N Boy Scouts. The name, of course, should then be changed to Person Scouts of America.

"Of America," though, sounds hostile to non-documented citizens. And "scouts" has the ring of toxic masculinity about it: you know, going out ahead of everyone to check things out-- all the risk, and "adventure." Toxic!

So............let's see..........we should call it............ --let me get back to you on this one.

In CA it will soon be illegal (kind of) to use gender specific pronouns.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
....and spreading HIV without even telling your partners (victims) is no longer a serious crime in California!

Welcome to Liberal Utopia!

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified Plane Pusher
Picture of Phantom229
posted Hide Post
So when are boys going to be joining the girl scouts?

Situation awareness is defined as a continuous extraction of environmental information, integration of this information with previous knowledge to form a coherent mental picture in directing further perception and anticipating future events. Simply put, situational awareness mean knowing what is going on around you.

Posts: 7895 | Location: Around Lake Tapps, Wa | Registered: September 29, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
Buried beneath the headlines was the announcement of a new Scout rank: Transgenderfoot.

Lolol

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
a
quote:
as long it stops the petty pissing and moaning, its all good.

No, it really isn't at all. This will, IMHO, lead to the further demise of this program due to the issues that will inevitably arise coupled with a further dilution of qualified and committed leaders. It's already hard enough to get them in place for many BSA troops and GSA is even worse. Heck, many of our BSA assistants were moms and did a great job. Now we're doing to split those resources.

I get that the program would be good for boys and girls, but I suspect getting there could break it.

quote:
Starting in the 2018 program year, families can choose to sign up their sons and daughters for Cub Scouts. Existing packs may choose to establish a new girl pack, establish a pack that consists of girl dens and boy dens or remain an all-boy pack. Cub Scout dens will be single-gender — all boys or all girls. Using the same curriculum as the Boy Scouts program, the organization will also deliver a program for older girls, which will be announced in 2018 and projected to be available in 2019, that will enable them to earn the Eagle Scout rank. This unique approach allows the organization to maintain the integrity of the single gender model while also meeting the needs of today’s families.

So, they either have no idea how they are going to manage this after year one and Cub Scouts, are just aren't sharing it..... Neither is good.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Weak leadership and a spineless board committed to political correctness. The Boy Scouts should be ashamed of themselves.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
This just the culmination of the effort. I knew this was coming for almost a decade now. They have been making incremental steps to this end for a long time now.

Just like the public schools.

Instead of learning to sharpen knifes and shoot guns. They can learn to braid each other's hair.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Sadly enrollment in the scouting programs has dropped 7% a decline that's continued for the last decade. The Girl Scouts have a similar decline. Looks as attempts to draw more boys into scount are working
Sadly, I think there's a possibility that the two programs will merge.

https://www.reuters.com/articl...dUSKBN0KQ05O20150117
http://www.gopusa.com/boy-scou...eclining-enrollment/

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phantom229:
So when are boys going to be joining the girl scouts?

That was my first thought too. I mean, fair's fair, right? I think I see yet another double standard on the horizon here.

Posts: 7267 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
The new unified Scouts of America logo has been released:

And new merit badges will include:

* Gun Running
* Pimpin'
* Harley Repair

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
God FORBID we have any phukking individuality in this country. [aren't enough eye-rolls].... Roll Eyes

This message has been edited. Last edited by: erj_pilot,

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
This pisses me off. It also means the end of my son's participation in the organization. Read again, packs will be seperate, which first of all is fucking stupid anyway, then just stay a girl scout, unless its a large pack then they can choose to admit girls. Choose .. Yeah right who wants to be the first to say no?

Why am I so against this? am I some sexist asshole?

The boy scouts is one of the few place my son can go act like a 10 year old boy. He can push, run, tackle, get dirty and do all the things that he isn't allowed to do in school. Boys need that. He is with his friends learning how to act like a good young man while having fun without a lot of PC crap, learning to listen to authority and act like a man and behave with other boys. They have just about every other social interaction and group there is to be with girls, school, church, 4H, martial arts, choir, swimming class, etc, etc.

And as soon as he is a teen, what boy will be able to relax and cut loose when girls are around? Who gives a shit to learn to camp and clean a fish when the hot blonde is there? It will just change the dynamic of the whole group, and quite frankly my son is more of a bookish sort and and I like that scouts lets him act like a boy and learn some skills to "man" up a bit. He doesn't have to worry about impressing some girl, it's just him and his friends, free to act like goofy ass, aggressive, boys. Wait until some boy scout shoves a girl, or throws mud at her, or whatever and some parent of a precious princess gets all upset about it? What den leader wants to supervise an over night camping event with teen boys and girls?

It's just a bad idea.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dresden:
Weak leadership and a spineless board committed to political correctness. The Boy Scouts should be ashamed of themselves.

Oh... I'm sure they are quite proud of their "political correctness".

quote:
This just the culmination of the effort. I knew this was coming for almost a decade now. They have been making incremental steps to this end for a long time now.

Yep... ever since they "welcomed" open gay scout leaders....

They will continue to lose membership. Stupid.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24115 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
With your post, Lord V, I realized this is the attempt to further emasculate our society. It started innocently enough with sit-com TV shows, but it has now oozed into tangible society.

Mad Mad Mad

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmanic:
Could be interesting....will they be offering a stripper pole badge?

Giggity!

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16120 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Snackologist
Picture of BigJoe
posted Hide Post
Sooner or later a sexual harassment charge will be created too. Probably in CA!

...You, higher mammal. Can you read?
....There's nothing sexier than a well worn, functional Sig!

Posts: 14009 | Location: WV | Registered: January 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
It's just a bad idea.

Agreed. But it may be BSA's only move to make to keep the organization afloat for the foreseeable future.

I'm an Eagle Scout and an adult leader off and on for the past 23 years. The program is sound, but with fewer and fewer boys and adults interested in outdoor skills, the program is a bit on its death bed.

I'm preparing with other adults our 50 mile hike next year in Yosemite. Once in a lifetime trip, right? You'd be amazed by how much resistance I'm getting from adults and boys alike - "That's too hard." Roll Eyes

Teens and adults have gotten soft........real soft.

P229

Posts: 3825 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
If anything I see it accelerating the death of the BSA.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WTF????????????

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I believe the BSA is a dead man walking. The only thing that can save it now is new strong, smart, principled leadership. I don't see that happening. The NSA is a lunger now.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post