SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Basic decency, and caring for a child you brought into this world, is now considered exceptional behavior, worthy of praise
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Basic decency, and caring for a child you brought into this world, is now considered exceptional behavior, worthy of praise Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
Don't forget to tell the internet about your noble deed of making sure the child you brought into this world has food. Hey, I know- take a picture of the grocery receipt and post it online. This will increase your piety tenfold. Surely, sainthood is just around the corner.

http://www.fox2detroit.com/new...-hot/242968098-story

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107582 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
When one wants praise, they don't turn to Facebook, internet, social media, ad-friggin-nauseum and announce their good deeds to the world so they can get a butt-pat. They just phugging do it.

DAMN...I'm getting to place my mom is in. I don't think I belong in "this" world either...

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Didn't Chris Rock have a bet about this? People in the ghetto saying things like " hey, I take care of my kids!" To which Chris Rock would reply "yeah that's what you're supposed to do! That's called being a parent."

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Oh. My. God. That's...stupefying.

That reads perfectly like it was right out of The Onion.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"The kid I'm responsible for bringing into this world was hungry, so I fed my child."

Wow, can I have your autograph, superstar?

Distinguished Pistol Shot
posted Hide Post
That's not what I got from the story. The poster purchased food for his ex. There was food for the child in the pantry, but none for the mother. So he got her some.

I give him some credit for that.

Posts: 832 | Location: South Central MO | Registered: August 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
And I'm sure he'd be doing this if he had no child with his ex, right?

Don't obscure the point I'm making, please.

Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgshooter:
That's not what I got from the story. The poster purchased food for his ex. There was food for the child in the pantry, but none for the mother. So he got her some.

Yuh...I got that too. But you gotta go all over the internet and announce it like you just gave her a kidney? Social Media is the RUINATION of this country. No.....make that the whole damned world.

To be blunt and crude, who gives a shit??

p.s. nothing against you personally, there dgshooter.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, alright for Brandon!
How 'bout a hardy golf clap from all!

You da man Brandon! Stick that chest out!

Posts: 5768 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
That's the problem with people these days. I did a decent thing. Now let me tell the world and get my ten seconds of fame.

Hmmm...pasta is on sale. Better go get some

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
If anything, how did it get that bad in the first place?

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just make sure you tell everyone, every single time you do something. I know plenty of people like this. Every act of "kindness" is advertised for everyone to see. Oh, and Brandon keep posting pics of those receipts, it made me cry when I saw how much you've sacrificed.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3533 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dgshooter:

It's beyond pathetic that this guy felt the need--the NEED--to post this online, but in our social media driven world now, if it's not online for thousands to see and comment on, it never really happened. Quite frankly, the retards going out of their way to praise this idiot on Facebook and with his own freakin' newspaper article are a bigger part of the problem.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Also, I'm fascinated by the episodes where the involved parties may not be aware that their touching story is being shared, such as the old couple on the subway heling some youngster tie his necktie. Someone nearby snaps a pic and they put it out, and wow, look at that, Ethel! Strangers showing kindness! Go get the neigbors! They need to see this!

What the Holy Hell, people?

It's as if the greater part of the population grew up in an old-style reformatory and is not used to the things a community may offer to members of its group.

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
He is wrong on two accounts. The first is as Parabellum illustrates. The second is found in Matthew 6

1 Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.

2 Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

3 But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:

4 That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airsoft guy:
Didn't Chris Rock have a bet about this? People in the ghetto saying things like " hey, I take care of my kids!" To which Chris Rock would reply "yeah that's what you're supposed to do! That's called being a parent."

"I ain't never been to jail!"

"What you want, a cookie? You ain't supposed to go to jail dummy!"

Yes he did. It was funny.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I don't expect a reward for, for example, finding somebody's lost wallet. What would the reward be for? Not committing larceny by keeping the contents?

Posts: 27956 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Here's what I get from the article:

We're going to have people who say's "look at me! Look at me!" and "I wiped my own butt, gimme an attaboy!" That's nothing different or special.

The sad commentary on the society as I see it is the 160,000 "shares." That means there's 160,000 people who went "awwww. Isn't that so precious! Imma gonno share this with my other friends."

that's the sad commentary i see. What does it mean when 160,000 people think it's extraordinary and noteworthy that you would buy groceries for your ex who's caring for your daughter?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19662 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by recoatlift:
Well, alright for Brandon!
How 'bout a hardy golf clap from all!

You da man Brandon! Stick that chest out!

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/y_w2FNk4qDc

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)

Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
If any of you see a post on farcebook about giving my ex extra money because I feel sorry for her, promptly send a rescue party to my aid, because I've either been kidnapped or have gone nuts.

She chose to let me know her salary from last year. After her tax credits and the untaxed chunk I give her, her net income is more than mine. That's simply insane.

That internet pussy should probably be paying more child support than he does, which makes me think ill of him to begin with. I CANNOT BELIEVE all the single moms I know/knew who refused to make their deadbeat babydaddies pay child support. I have my kids now nearly every day I'm off, but I still send that money.

I want to delete my farcebook every day, but I keep it because of distant family and friends. I saw the post that started this thread and thought the same.

ETA: this is only going to get worse, mind you. At my job, which one wouldn't expect to be filled with these types, we are now required to do our own job review entries. Traditionally this was our supervisor's job, but they have decided that is too much work, so we need to type our good deeds up and send it to them.

This becomes an issue because promotions are partially based off these entries. Like 33%. When I was in a recent supervisor class and they were telling us how important it was when we get promoted to know the people that work under us, I brought this practice up. Nobody saw the concern, until I pointed out the folly in promoting the type that is more naturally going to toot their own horn and do things because they make them look good, rather than do a good job because it needs to be done, without seeking glory.

Society is screwed.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: chongosuerte,

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post