SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    photo voltaic array and incentives
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

photo voltaic array and incentives Login/Join 
posted
Marlin has been wanting to put a 10 kw panel system up for a couple of years , on an out building, on his farm.

at breakfast the other morning he was talking about the energy companies and how they want to stop offering incentives.

He told us about some of them not making enough money.
instead of giving a person with solar panels the exact same credit ,
some of them want to charge you one price for using grid electricity and then offer you 50% less for the power you provide for the grid.

in addition,they want the government to scale way back , the credits that it offers to home owners that want to install new p.v. systems.

he could not confirm it but there is info on the www that electricity bills might go up to off set the losses of the companies , " they have to consistently upgrade, update, upkeep maintain and replace the system and labor costs are not getting cheaper"

can any one here confirm substantiate or add contradictory information to this?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I see no objection to power companies buying and selling power at different prices. That is the reason that many power companies designed meters that were capable of working differently when going in reverse (selling power to the utility). Just allowing the meter to run backward would effectively put the utility in the condition of buying electricity from the consumer at "retail" prices when that obtained from other companies was at a "wholesale" rate. (Kind of like taking spinach you grew in your backyard garden to the supermarket and trying to sell it to them for the same price they sell it to other customers--not going to happen. Why should the power company do it?)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Trooperdan
posted Hide Post
I'm in Palm Beach County FL and have a 8.2 KWH PV system. FPL basic charge plus the fuel supplement is 0.09086/kwh. At the end of the year, I had a surplus, I had supplied more current than I used so they paid me for the excess. For 736 kwh, they paid at a rate of 0.016970 for a total of $12.49. I do not occupy the home during much of the summer and the A/C is set to about 80 and hot water is turned off so my usage is abnormally low for Florida. They do not pay anything near what they charge!

Posts: 946 | Location: Raeford NC | Registered: April 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Trooperdan:
I'm in Palm Beach County FL and have a 8.2 KWH PV system. FPL basic charge plus the fuel supplement is 0.09086/kwh. At the end of the year, I had a surplus, I had supplied more current than I used so they paid me for the excess. For 736 kwh, they paid at a rate of 0.016970 for a total of $12.49. I do not occupy the home during much of the summer and the A/C is set to about 80 and hot water is turned off so my usage is abnormally low for Florida. They do not pay anything near what they charge!

Build your own transmission infrastructure & sell it elsewhere. You could make all of 67$.
I bet they're actually giving you a decent price - the marginal cost to dick around with your 100s of kW-hrs is huge compared to the cost of the multi-MW-hrs they produce.
Just like the gas tax & EVs - somebody still has to build the roads, and surprisingly, that costs money.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcsabolt2
posted Hide Post
NREL is to publicly release a tool called REopt from r the residential customer that determine what renewable energy sources work in your area. I have played with the commercial tool a little and it should show you what is cost effective.

Incentives vary by State, but last I knew the feds only had incentives for solar and wind. Several years there like geothermal were taken away. However, I don't remember if they apply for residential, commercial or industrial scale.

----------
“Nobody can ever take your integrity away from you. Only you can give up your integrity.” H. Norman Schwarzkopf

Posts: 3626 | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wonder if this is a nation wide thing or just a few companies

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54603 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
there is a bit of a push to go PV here...been solicited by a few different companies over the past month

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, government mandates produce a percentage of renewable energy, that goes up as years go by. This costs more, they still will make money. Ends up costing the customer more.

Posts: 437 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The utility still has to build power plants and transmission and distribution networks (T&D) for those times in which you're not generating power. Those cost are shared across all customers. So when you purchase less (because you generate solar kWh), you're not paying for the T&D. Hence, they want to compensate you less for the power they purchase from you so that they still have a margin to cover T&D.

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post