SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Portland Police are purging their gang database
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Portland Police are purging their gang database Login/Join 
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted
Take a SWAG at why Portland Police are purging their gang database....

Link

Portland Police Are Purging Their Gang Database Because There Aren’t Enough White Gangs

Portland police will no longer maintain a database of suspected gang members, due to concerns that the vast majority of people with the gang label are racial minorities.

Starting Oct. 15, the Portland Police Bureau will end the 20-year practice of issuing gang member designations, which police say can lead to “unintended consequences” and a lifelong stigma even for those who have given up the gang lifestyle. Officials intend to notify the approximately 300 people on the gang list that the bureau will purge all records related to the designations, The Oregonian reported.

“There are still criminal gang members. That doesn’t go away because we don’t have a gang designation,” said Capt. Mike Krantz, according to The Oregonian. “We’re not pretending gang violence doesn’t exist. We’re just taking this one thing away.”

City officials and community activists had long urged the bureau to stop attaching the gang designation to criminal suspects, claiming the practice disproportionately impacted people of color. A review of police data by The Oregonian last year found that 81 percent of the “criminal gang affiliates” in Portland’s database were racial or ethnic minorities.

“This is too long coming,” said Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler, who is also the city’s police commissioner. “It was the right thing to do.”

Under the current policy, police officers can add someone to the gang database if the person self-identifies as a gang member, participates in a gang initiation ritual, commits a gang-related crime or displays two or more “observable signs” of gang membership. Neither a criminal conviction nor an arrest is required to attach a gang designation to a suspect’s file.

Portland police label about 100 people as gang members each year, according to The Oregonian. When an officer runs the name of a person who has been flagged as a gang member, the label will show up in a special report that includes any known information about nicknames, employers, schools, vehicles and associates.

Officers will no longer keep those reports and flags, says Krantz. Instead, they will record only alleged criminal conduct such as illegal weapons possession or involvement in shootings.

Police say the gang reports aren’t necessary because “new processes and technologies” allow officers to investigate crimes without the need to identify people as members of a gang.

“As times have changed, the Police Bureau in partnership with community members have realized being labeled a “gang member” can have a negative impact on the person who may be making attempts to overcome the life challenges they face,” the bureau said in a statement Friday.

Posts: 7308 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Wonder if this related to DACA?

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Watching liberals learn is tedious.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Watching liberals learn is tedious.

No doubt.

I'd say this statement puts him in the pre-school range.

quote:
"This is too long coming,” said Portland Mayor Ted Wheeler, who is also the city’s police commissioner. “It was the right thing to do."

Then there's this.

quote:
Police say the gang reports aren’t necessary because “new processes and technologies” allow officers to investigate crimes without the need to identify people as members of a gang.

posted Hide Post
I always knew DATA bases were racist.(sarcasm)

I guess the gang tattoos on the suspect's body is also racist.

Posts: 12660 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Officials intend to notify the approximately 300 people on the gang list that the bureau will purge all records related to the designations, The Oregonian reported.

Why is there a need to notify? It's not like this shows up on a credit report or will have an impact when these people go on their next job interview.

Roll Eyes

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Why is there a need to notify?

The Stupid is rather like a gas; once released, it's impossible to contain and expands throughout the available space.

Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Why not just make the gangs accept more white members?

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
Why not just make the gangs accept more white members?

Smile

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8935 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I hope this costs them big time - and whomever made this stupid decision actually pays a real price for for this lunacy

up till now they've done really dumb things, but at some point they need to be potential Darwin candidates

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I haven't heard of a white street gang since I read S.E. Hinton's The Outsiders, and that was in high school over 40 years ago. Modern gangs are nothing like Ponyboy and Sodapop or the Socs and the Greasers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: egregore,

Posts: 27929 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I hope this costs them big time - and whomever made this stupid decision actually pays a real price for for this lunacy

up till now they've done really dumb things, but at some point they need to be potential Darwin candidates

Hey guys!!!!

Come on now. It is Portland OREGON, remember?

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:....Come on now. It is Portland OREGON, remember?

Sometimes I wonder if Portland and Seattle are pitting themselves against San Francisco to be known as the capital city of liberal insanity.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
Perhaps it's just a recruiting effort? So when/if they perform background checks, everything is clean.

Roll Eyes

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2673 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scoutmaster:
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:....Come on now. It is Portland OREGON, remember?

Sometimes I wonder if Portland and Seattle are pitting themselves against San Francisco to be known as the capital city of liberal insanity.

Never happen, San Francisco has too much of a head start. That won't stop them from trying, though.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm almost always happy to go along with the cops and if they say that it will help, then I'd back them. However, it seems like a coincidence that Portland's recently hired/installed Police Chief, Danielle Outlaw, 41, is an African-American woman and 19-year veteran of the Oakland Police Department. How is the gang situation in Oakland these days?

http://www.oregonlive.com/port...selects_outside.html

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Oh, come on. Nobody can be that big of an idiot. Someone could actually propose this in public and not get sent for a psych evaluation? How fucked are the people out there to not to douse the idiot that said this with gasoline and light him up? Man, this is a new universe of lunacy. I do hope the whole west coast breaks off. Maybe the Chinese or N Koreans will invade and save us. Keeeerist!!

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Are they implying that gangs are not equal opportunity employers?

That's discriminatory hiring. Where's the EEOC/DoJ?

Posts: 15023 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
I'm almost always happy to go along with the cops and if they say that it will help, then I'd back them. However, it seems like a coincidence that Portland's recently hired/installed Police Chief, Danielle Outlaw, 41, is an African-American woman and 19-year veteran of the Oakland Police Department. How is the gang situation in Oakland these days?

http://www.oregonlive.com/port...selects_outside.html

Yeah, the previous Chief (and to some extent, Mayor) were willing to let the Police actually do their job. We're waiting to see if that will change under the new ruling cabal. I suspect that this new announcement is a harbinger of things to come. Frown

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
The problems with this lunacy is that the liberals never blame the decision makers / policy makers when things go to shit. Somehow, it's always mainstream America that's to blame when their area goes to shit.

We're going to need to take back control by force someday.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12714 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post