SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    He can't read yet but...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

He can't read yet but... Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
You hold up any one of these books and he will tell you the title without hesitation. Many of these books you can stop mid sentence and he will be able to finish it.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
Good for both of you. It's amazing how much more my kids know now than I did at their age.

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4786 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good. Books now should mean books later.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Awesome, keep at it!

Posts: 12921 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good, somebody has spent some time reading to him.
My son and daughter read to their kids a lot.
I read to them also. My daughters oldest was read to a whole lot, he is a very good student in school. He helps some of the other kids to understand things in his classroom and his teacher is thankful for that. He is 7.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How old is he, if I may ask?

Posts: 1071 | Location: Cary NC | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Little kids like that are like sponges. They absorb everything. One of my grandsons lived with for a while. He went through all of the Star Wars movies over and over. One day I walked through and he was listening to them with the Spanish language turned on instead of the English. Yeah, he remembered the English and was learning the Spanish version. Three years old and knew more Spanish than any of us.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Infidel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
You hold up any one of these books and he will tell you the title without hesitation. Many of these books you can stop mid sentence and he will be able to finish it.

My dad claimed that when he would do something similar (I think he skipped a line here or there) and I corrected him, he had me read the book to him instead. I'm told I was reading on my own by the time I was four, and when I was in first grade, I was reading on a sixth grade level. Try it out.

I hate offended people. They come in two flavours - huffy and whiny - and it's hard to know which is worst. The huffy ones are self-important, narcissistic authoritarians in love with the sound of their own booming disapproval, while the whiny, sparrowlike ones are so annoying and sickly and ill-equipped for life on Earth you just want to smack them round the head until they stop crying and grow up.
- Charlie Brooker

Posts: 646 | Location: Sammamish, WA | Registered: May 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FrankMoses:
How old is he, if I may ask?

He is 3.

quote:
Originally posted by Infidel:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

My dad claimed that when he would do something similar (I think he skipped a line here or there) and I corrected him, he had me read the book to him instead. I'm told I was reading on my own by the time I was four, and when I was in first grade, I was reading on a sixth grade level. Try it out.

We'll read him 4-10 books a night. Just depends on how long they are or how long it takes him to start to snooze out.
Some nights I am tired so I will try to skip pages or paragraphs he he pretty much calls me out every time anymore.
He'll just go sit in his reading area by himself looking at the books. He knows some of his letters by sight and can write and recognize his name. I am looking forward to him being able to actually read.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25421 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Take this coming from a guy who has spent the better part of two decades educating young kids.

You are doing the single most important thing that can be done for a young mind. Read, read, read.

Good on you!

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Mine just turned 5 and and we read every night, we have moved to the classics fairy tales...it's a nice change.

As others have mentioned reading is fundamental and it's a great snuggle time at the end of a hectic day.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
I applaud you all for reading to your children.

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
1 Hippo all alone calls two hippos on the phone.
3 hippos at the door bring along.......must kill Nigerian Ambassador.....

Seriously that is awesome our daughter could "read" whole books before she could read. She is now in 1st grade reading at at almost 5th grade level.

As to the first paragraph. We had this book that I loved called hippos go berserk and I was at a party one night and got to talking about it and all of a sudden like 7 adults started reciting the book with a dead look and monotonous tone. I was sure I just triggered 7 assassinations. Smile

I see some Llama Llama in there. I like me some Llama Llama. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Laying the foundation for all sorts of language, reading & education. Two thumbs up.

Less is more.

Posts: 3995 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
together , the 4 y.o. and 5 1/2 y.o. boys ,used to be able to tell me how to get to the school, 4 1/2 miles away , while I was a manny in camas wa.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When my daughter was 3ish (she's now 21), I thought i had a child prodigy. She would "read" word for word, turning the pages correctly, to her favorite Dr. Suess books. Until I figured out she had simply memorized them!!

The love of reading is truly on of the best loves to pass on to children.

Enjoy them-- they grow up so darn fast!!

Posts: 214 | Registered: December 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's awesome. My wife really created big readers with my boys by taking them to bookstores and letting them look around for what they liked. It is a sure fire way to get him into advanced class in a few years.

Posts: 281 | Location: Outside St. Louis | Registered: June 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Books especially good books are good for the mind and soul. When my son finally learned to read he could not find enough to read to satisfy his desire. Going to the book store is a family thing and enjoyed by all. VI

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My daughter (2) is the same way. Either my wife or I wil read to her every day. We know the local librarian on a first name basis.

She gets upset when the book is done and gets put away.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a Sesame Street book called -

'There Is a Monster at the End of This Book'

He would love it.

-------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post