SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Going to Key West in late October 2020
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going to Key West in late October 2020 Login/Join 
posted
Will we be able to do ocean stuff like snorkeling?

We're thinking about using United frequent fliers miles to skip winter for a week, will probably stay here to built up Marriott points:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels...ott-beachside-hotel/

Very tentative plan is fly into EYW and NOT get a rental car. 1) Will the water be warm, and 2) Can we get around w/o a car?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sigmund,

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, should be no problem. Snow should not be an issue either. Key West is pretty laid back and different. Lots of characters. People from Iowa generally view it as "DIFFERENT."

Should be a good time. Others will have suggestions on where to stay.

Posts: 17173 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It should be! Several years ago I had (had!) to go there for a work project in late January...it was about 80 for a high and though the water temperatures had cooled a little folks were still headed for the water.

Sort of reminded me of the weather in Guantanamo Bay I experienced in the winter months of 1979. Smile

Posts: 3201 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Water will be cooler and unless you want to drive up the keys, skip the rental car. Everything is in walking distance.
Lots to do down there and I'm there once a year. For good live music, check out Willie T's. Vinos on Duval is a nice spot and they have craft beer and a very nice selection of wine.
Food is everywhere down there but 2 places to hit are The Ocean Bar&Grill and A&B Lobster house. Not cheap but both are great.
Wander up and down Duval St. and you'll run into lots of places to see and things to do.

I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I'm not.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've stayed just north of the keys for 20 years now on the first weekend in Dec. and never felt that there was a bad day in terms of temperature.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10966 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
No problem with water activities. Should be bath water now.

The water at Key West is warm enough for swimming all year round. The ocean reaches its warmest point of the year in July and August when the temperature averages 87 degrees Fahrenheit (31 degrees Celsius). The coolest month is January, when the temperature is usually around 69 °F (21 °C).

Heading to KW in about an hour!

Posts: 1972 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
Very tentative plan is fly into EYW and NOT get a rental car. 1) Will the water be warm, and 2) Can we get around w/o a car?

(1) Definitely fly into EYW. The Tampa to Key West drive is fun once, one way.

(2) Water will be warm and nice. Be advised that Key West doesn't have that many beaches, with lots of the shoreline being quite rocky. So for sunbathing normally stick by the pool.

(3) That hotel is nice, but it's not very easy walk places from that location, as the north Roosevelt Road is kind of filled with fast food joints, other hotels, etc.

Personally when I've gone down I've stayed at the hotels near Mallory Square / Front Street / etc. The main walking / shopping / eating areas are centered off Duval north and south a couple of blocks.

I like the Hyatt on 601 Front Street personally.

https://keywest.centric.hyatt.com

Have fun!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
I like Key West in early December. We have visited several times just before Christmas. Not many tourists and the weather is nice. The seaplane to Fort Jefferson is one of the coolest things I've done. We snorkeled there in December and the water was quite comfortable. There is a great little restaurant called 7 Fishes. It's a little out of the way but well worth it. We made good use of Uber. No need for a car.

Posts: 391 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We Are...MARSHALL
Picture of armedmd
posted Hide Post
The wife and I did Key West last November
. We initially tried it without the rental car but changed our minds. Duval Street is the nightly party. There are all kinds go good restaurants. Our favorite was Blue Heaven. The Key West beaches are underwhelming. We drove to Bahia Honda State Park a couple of days. It is gorgeous and the beaches are very nice. It's a 30 minute drive north. You have to take a day trip to the Dry Tortugas. Amazing history with Fort Jefferson and the water is amazing. We chose the ferry rather than the seaplane and thoroughly enjoyed it. Have fun and be safe! Not a huge deal flying with a handgun there either.

Build a man a fire and keep him warm for a night, set a man on fire and keep him warm the rest of his life.

Posts: 1893 | Location: WV | Registered: December 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
if you are affiliated with the military you can stay at the Navy installations there. I rented a three bedroom house two years ago for less than a 1000. for an entire week.

Posts: 170 | Registered: March 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
My wife's family is from Key West, so I've walked all over that sumbitch. The entire island is arguably "walking distance" from any point, because it's only 4 miles long by 2 miles wide at the widest.

That said, you are guaranteeing yourself a 6-mile round-trip walk every day, because that hotel is at the opposite end of the island from Duval St, where most of the stuff you will want to see/do is located. I would think a hotel like that would have a shuttle to Duval St. A taxi wouldn't cost more than a few bucks either. It's totally do-able without a rental car, just a lot of walking!!

Here are two suggested restaurants that you NEED to visit:

1) Camille's, for breakfast. I'm sure their food at other times of the day is just as good, but their breakfasts will blow your mind.

2) El Siboney. It's a hole-in-the-wall Cuban restaurant, 90-miles north of the island itself, OF COURSE it's fantastic.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
Uber just started running in KW. So getting around just got easier.

Posts: 1628 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
2) El Siboney. It's a hole-in-the-wall Cuban restaurant, 90-miles north of the island itself, OF COURSE it's fantastic.

I'm going to the Keys the week of Thanksgiving and making notes. There's an El Siboney actually on Key West and Chokoloskee is 90 miles almost due north of Key West while Naples is 110 miles due North. I don't find an El Siboney in either of those places. Confused

Posts: 10816 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:

I'm going to the Keys the week of Thanksgiving and making notes. There's an El Siboney actually on Key West and Chokoloskee is 90 miles almost due north of Key West while Naples is 110 miles due North. I don't find an El Siboney in either of those places. Confused

El Siboney is in the older part of Key West. It's off the beaten path.
I stayed at The Southernmost Inn on United St. and it wasn't that far of a walk. That said, I went there and wasn't thrilled. My food was warm at best and I could tell some of it had been sitting in a warmer for a while.
Stay away from the normal tourist places i.e. Hard Rock and places like that.
OP, Alonzos Oyster bar is another great place I forgot about.
So many places down there that are good.

Posts: 3652 | Location: The armpit of Ohio | Registered: August 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
My favorite restaurant in Key West is Hogfish, on the far east side. It's well away from the main tourist area, but it's near where you'll be staying. (Only about a mile and a half away, so it's definitely walkable.)

http://www.hogfishbar.com/

Posts: 32417 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joatmonv:
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
quote:

El Siboney is in the older part of Key West. It's off the beaten path.
I stayed at The Southernmost Inn on United St. and it wasn't that far of a walk. That said, I went there and wasn't thrilled. My food was warm at best and I could tell some of it had been sitting in a warmer for a while.
Stay away from the normal tourist places i.e. Hard Rock and places like that.
OP, Alonzos Oyster bar is another great place I forgot about.
So many places down there that are good.

Oh wow. Sometimes I can be incredibly dense. The restaurant is 90 miles north of Cuba, not Key West. Red Face

Posts: 10816 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://goo.gl/photos/bNKePGekUNJJJErMA

See if this works. OP, this is from Willie T's earlier this year. They have live music everyday.
More towards the West side on Duval Street. Irish Kevin's is another place for music.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
Will we be able to do ocean stuff like snorkeling?

We're thinking about using United frequent fliers miles to skip winter for a week, will probably stay here to built up Marriott points:

http://www.marriott.com/hotels...ott-beachside-hotel/

1. That Marriott is not in the best KW location, it is at the "main entrance" to KW and pretty heavy traffic. Most of what you would want to do in KW will be at the opposite end of the island. Not that it is a bad hotel, just location is not prime. You wont be walking anywhere from your hotel. From your hotel to "down town" is about 4 miles, to the ocean (Smathers Beach) is also about 4 miles. You will be a 1 mile from the ocean via Roosevelt Blvd. And even if you like to walk, the walk to down town is sort of "locals only", strip plazas, marinas and gas stations, nothing to see. On good note, it looks like most of the road construction may be completed, that area around the Marriot was all tore up and impossible to get around. Take a look at Google Earth to see what I am speaking about.

2. Water temp, really depends on what you consider "warm", but Dec is pretty nice and the water has not cooled down a lot from summer, even us "locals" still will swim with out full wet suits!

3. December is one of those months in the Keys will it can be spectacular or blowing 30kts. If you get down there just after a blow, water will be like pea soup. It really is hit/miss, December is when we really start getting those weak cold front that just have enough energy to move through end they end up being wind events. But even if a "cold front" moves through KW is really nice then to walk around. I know this does not help but I have seen December be perfect the whole month one year and the next year the wind never stops.

Of course you can always Uber or cab it to the good areas, its only 4 or 5 miles. Hope that helps. Let me know if I can answer any specific questions.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Everyone else hit the high points. I would encourage you to try El Siboney it is very good! (I know I'm the 4th person to recommend it but it is REALLY good.)

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. We may not stay at that hotel, but it'll be one of the Marriott chain to maintain premiere status in 2018

I'm also considering flying int Miami and renting a car. I want to visit the NAS plus drive the bridge that Ah-Nuld attacked in "True Lies."

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post