SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Going to Key West in late October 2020
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going to Key West in late October 2020 Login/Join 
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Yes, should be no problem. Snow should not be an issue either. Key West is pretty laid back and different. Lots of characters. People from Iowa generally view it as "DIFFERENT."

Should be a good time. Others will have suggestions on where to stay.

I had a neighbor here in the country in Louisiana that moved to Key West. He was DIFFERENT Big Grin

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Says the coldest the water gets is 69. That's summertime swimming water here in Michigan!

Posts: 17885 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
If you are going to have a rental car, my understanding is the middle keys have the best snorkeling and Bahia Honda SP has the best beaches. I went to Key West for a weekend in December of 2001. I don't think I could spend a week there and not be bored, but I'm a married guy with three kids who doesn't drink much.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
I was in Key West last October.

The Marriott you are listing is a spectacular property. Because of my status I stayed in essentially an apartment. Full kitchen, dining room table, seperate bedroom and bathroom, full living room. A very nice pool with poolside waiter service. The breakfast buffet was very nice and we did not eat there but I think the on property restaurant is fine dining.

The downside to the Marriott is location. You are at the end of the island away from all the cool stuff. They do have a shuttle that drops you off in the middle of the tourist area and now that Uber is running it should be a snap to get around. Just realize you can't walk out your door and be in the middle of the sights.

Posts: 2715 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
Thanks for the replies. We may not stay at that hotel, but it'll be one of the Marriott chain to maintain premiere status in 2018

I'm also considering flying int Miami and renting a car. I want to visit the NAS plus drive the bridge that Ah-Nuld attacked in "True Lies."

Flying in to Ft. Lauderdale (FLL) is a little easier, if you can. We used to do that 2-3x a year, grab the rental car, and drive around Miami traffic en route to the Keys. The drive is spectacular (especially after you clear Key Largo). Make sure you drive during sunlight hours, to take in the sights. You'll hit Seven Mile Bridge just off Marathon; stop and eat, see the old bridge, etc. Keys Fisheries is my recommendation on Marathon. Great Florida lobster mac 'n cheese.

While not a Marriott property...the Casa Marina Hotel (Waldorf Astoria) is wonderful. Please consider it for future trips.

Enjoy your time on a great island.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by VictimNoMore:
Keys Fisheries is my recommendation on Marathon. Great Florida lobster mac 'n cheese.

King Seafood is another great choice, if you make it over to Marathon.

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:...
I'm also considering flying int Miami

MIA sucks, Ft Lauderdale (FLL) is a much better choice and only would add about 25 min to your drive. Total drive time from FLL to Key West, is about 5 hours. The worst part of the drive is the Turnpike Extension through Miami/Kendal, it is all under construction (been that way for about 30 years), it sucks, but its only about 1hr of the drive then it gets good.

If you drive down, past Homestead, take Card Sound Rd into Key Largo, better drive with more to see and most times less traffic.

Lots of great places to eat along the way. In Tavernier, Old Tavernier Restaurant (just south of Key Largo), Mangrove Mike's in Islamorada, on Grassy Key, Hideaway Café (very weird place but great food), 7 Mile Grill and Herbies in Marathon, in Key West, Blue Heaven is nice and for breakfast, Harpoon Harrys is a good "locals" kind of place.

Some of the best Snorkeling is off Islamorada or Marathon, Key Largo and Big Pine Key area have been hammered pretty hard so the reefs are in poor shape. Key West is still nice with lots of areas to go.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Drove from my parents house in St.Augustine, long ride but made it to Marathon in one day,this was the middle of November and the water was still warm, did a snorkeling day, was very cool. Good restaurant that we enjoyed was Mangia Mangia. Don't forget the Mojito's...

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Southflorida-law:
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:...
I'm also considering flying int Miami

MIA sucks, Ft Lauderdale (FLL) is a much better choice and only would add about 25 min to your drive....

If you drive down, past Homestead, take Card Sound Rd into Key Largo, better drive with more to see and most mes less traffic...

Homestead AFB is another place to visit. Plus the restored Nike missile site.

Forgot to mention we're in our late 60s, partying is real low on our list. Smile

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We never made it but have visited some great far away places. M-m-m-m-y Corona canceled our spring trip to Moscow and fall trip to the Galapagos Islands, we hope to salvage the year with a Nov or Dec Key West trip.

Sadly, the Nike Hercules missile site is not likely to open until January:

https://www.nps.gov/ever/learn...toryculture/hm69.htm

We'll fly into FLL and drive Rt 1. There are several Marriott properties in Key West, we'll find a place. I doubt we'd use the rental car much in town, Uber and hotel shuttles are much easier. Plus I can sample a Margarita or two.

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Water temps should be in the high 70's to low 80's in December or higher, so snorkeling and stuff should be fine once you get into the water. Loui's backyard, Blue heaven, half shell raw bar, Alonzo's are all great restaurants. Blue Heaven has the best Key lime pie. The Mel Fisher museum is nice as is the aquarium. Lazy lobster in Key Largo, Lazy days in Islamorada, Seven Mile grill in Marathon, Hog fish in Stock Island are all great restaurants on the way down. Have fun. Right now, it's pretty dead down there with Covid, not sure how busy it'll be in December but you should have lots of fun. Air temps are the luck of the draw on whether or not there's a cold front, but usually Key West never gets too cold, 60's are somewhat rare and usually only last a day or two.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We're still considering Key West for Nov or Dec, but the covid craziness seems like overkill.

Facial Coverings are MANDATORY in the Florida Keys

Monroe County requires all persons over the age of six to wear a facial covering inside businesses and whenever away from their home and unable to engage in social distancing. Every person over the age of six who is away from his or her residence shall carry a face-covering capable of immediate use.

The ordinance requires operators and employees of business establishments to ensure customers comply within the establishment. A face covering MUST cover the nose and mouth and may include a face mask, homemade mask, or other cloth, silk, or linen covering, such as a scarf, bandana, handkerchief, or other similar cloth covering. There is an exception for those seated at a restaurant, and for gym and barbershop patrons.

http://www.monroecounty-fl.gov/1169/COVID-19

Does anyone know how strictly the mask require is enforced? Are some of the tourists sites/activities closed?

posted Hide Post
I'm in the Fort Lauderdale area, but bounce down to the keys here and there. It's not as bad as you think. Yeah, carry a mask in your pocket or hanging from your neck, walk in a store put it on, walk out take it off.......for restaurants you just wear it to and from your table, not AT your table....nobody wears it walking down the streets...there's less tourist traffic so you won't have crowds of people to deal with......and I have a feeling that after the election the mask requirements will simply disappear. All of the tourist stuff is open.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's amazing how fast things change sometimes ....

Florida has lifted all Covid restrictions as of this morning. Per the Orlando Sentinel:

TALLAHASSEE – Bars and restaurants are no longer required to operate at less than full capacity, as Gov. Ron DeSantis issued an executive order Friday removing all remaining restrictions on businesses because of the coronavirus pandemic. But the executive order, which takes effect immediately, also prohibits local governments from closing businesses or collecting fines related to pandemic-related mandates, such as mask requirements. “We are today moving into what we initially called phase 3,” DeSantis said during a press conference in St. Petersburg. “And what that’ll mean for the restaurants is there will not be limitations from the state of Florida.” “We’re also saying in the state of Florida everybody has a right to work,” he added. “(Local governments) can do reasonable regulations but they can’t just say no.” There are four major provisions of the order: -It removes all remaining state-level restrictions on businesses, including on bars and restaurants, which were capped at 75% capacity in Phase 3 of DeSantis' original reopening plan. -It provides a general right to work and to operate a business. Local governments can limit and regulate businesses, but won’t be able to close businesses because of coronavirus concerns. -Local governments won’t be able to prevent restaurants from operating at below 50% capacity. Under previous orders, local governments could go further than state-level restrictions, and counties in South Florida kept restaurants and bars closed after the state allowed them to reopen. Also, cities and counties won’t be able to impose any restrictions without an economic and health justification. -Cities and counties can’t collect on any outstanding fines they issued as part of their pandemic response. The order, though, doesn’t compel local governments to refund anyone who has already paid a fine.

Orlando Sentinel

Posts: 260 | Registered: March 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I don't know if there's a boat directly from Key West, but Looe Key has great snorkeling. We've been there twice on our own boat since you started your thread and it would be worth a day's car rental to get to a boat that could take you there.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Dry Tortugas is a neat trip, too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies. Right now we're thinking the first week of December. Early/mid November would work except I'm not sure I want to travel right after the election.

Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
We will be there the week of Oct 19th.

Flying into Ft. Lauderdale and driving to Miami for a couple nights then to KW.

Never been to any of these places.

Any good gun shops to visit along the way?

Keep the suggestions coming.
This is our 20th Anniversary so I need some good ideas for the wife. She is low maintenance not much of a drinker but I married up and want to treat her right.
HK Ag

Posts: 3499 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sabonim
Picture of Wayniac
posted Hide Post
Blue Heaven restaurant for breakfast! Imagine eating outdoors under a giant almond tree with chickens roaming about. Our favorite hotel is the “La Concha” Crowne Plaza, with a great location on Duval Street.

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming, 'Wow! What a Ride! ~Hunter S. Thompson

Posts: 1438 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
If you happen to be driving by at lunch or dinner time, we really like the Lazy Lobster Seafood Restaurant at MM102 on Key Largo. At three visits, it's the only restaurant in the Keys we've been to more than once. It's not on the water, but the food is good and prices reasonable. We've been to plenty of places on the water that had mediocre food.

At MM51 or so in Marathon, Sweet Savannahs has good Key Lime Pie, ice cream and other tasty treats.