SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mixing Grass Types Question For The Lawn Experts
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mixing Grass Types Question For The Lawn Experts Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
As some of you may recall, I ruined my front lawn last August by applying WAY too much weed & feed type product and basically killed/burned it up.

I ended up reseeding with this stuff, Kentucky 31, that seems to be growing pretty well but have a fair number of dead and thin patches where I think the soil was just too contaminated for the seed to germinate last September when I did the reseeding.

This stuff is very hardy and fast growing but it's also pretty coarse and lighter green. I plan to do a whole lot more reseeding/overseeding this September to fix all the bare/thin areas and don't know if I can use a Turf-Type Tall Fescue seed instead of the K31? Or will that look like crap? I'm reading conflicting information that some people have mixed types and it's OK and others have tried it and it ends up looking weedy because the much wider, coarser K31 is different than the Turf-Type Tall Fescue.

What do you lawn experts say? Stick with the Kentucky 31 or use something else?

Killing off what's there and starting over is not something I want to do at this point. I've worked way too hard to try to bring it back to start all over again.

This is a stock photo (not my lawn) of what Kentucky 31 grass looks like. It's that coarse, but I don't dislike it, it's just different. Seems like it's pretty hardy and takes heat and drought well:

Posts: 33606 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
K31 is kind of the older generation do-all fescue for yards.
There are hybrids that will look/do better.
I have experience with K31, Elite & Tuff-turf, and I like tuff-turf the best. The Elite is a very fine-bladed tall fescue (not a fine fescue), but it didn't really take well to my yard. My step-fathers is really nice, but he waters more than I do.
The tuff-turf has a rhizome & has spread better in my sandy/clay mix of soil. It isn't as fine feeling as Elite, but better than K31. I will continue to overseed with tuff-turf & any new-seed will be the same.

Posts: 3297 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
This stuff is very hardy and fast growing but it's also pretty coarse and lighter green. I plan to do a whole lot more reseeding/overseeding this September to fix all the bare/thin areas and don't know if I can use a Turf-Type Tall Fescue seed instead of the K31?

Yes... you can.
I would over-seed in early fall with a Turf-Type Tall Fescue.

https://www.pennington.com/all...ow-about-tall-fescue

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Pasture grass. Not especially pretty. Just ordinary. Hopefully minimal weed seed.

I’d mix some other varieties of fescue. Maybe ryegrass. Bluegrass is my favorite but pricy.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Shoot, I've used Kentucky 31 for years and will continue to do so. Stick with it.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Must be some kind of doper's code, huh?

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I think it was the only grass seed I ever knew family to use. The problem I later found was that yards were not supposed to be half clover too.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I use a Lesco sun & shade mix I get at a local landscaping supply place. The same kind of place landscapers and lawn crews get their seed.

I overseeded last fall, then again this spring for good measure. Overkill, perhaps, but the lawn looks like carpeting Smile

Got some brown spots started showing up a couple weeks ago, though. Being as at least one skunk has been going to town aerating our lawn, I'm assuming that's probably grubs. Should abate, as I put down GrubEx a week ago.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its damn near impossible to find a bag of grass seed around here which is not labeled Penn State Mix. The seed is a mixture of several grass types.

I think you would be just fine mixing seed as long as you spread some throughout the the yard. If you threw down a 3x3 patch it might be noticeable.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I planted tall fescue in my backyard this year. I rototilling it and finding something different. It's pale green and lighter than everything else in my yard and grows twice as fast/tall as the rest.

Any suggestions for darker colored grasses that don't grow super tall? Area is mix of sun/shade.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
You probably will get the right scoop from your county extension office.
Grasses are area specific.
I live out side of Atlanta and builder put that crap fescue in .
I plugged with tif green after a few years,don't do that.
Went to Panama city thirty years or so and brought back a pallet of St Augustin.
Not supposed to live here.
It runs every where till it hits a hard barrier.
Took over one neighbors yard.
Great grass,loves shade,sun ,flower beds.
The stuff is beautiful .
Down side is weed whacking drive ,street edge gardens fences etc.
My county extension office recommended against this grass.

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's pale green and lighter than everything else in my yard and grows twice as fast/tall as the rest.

The "Turf Type" Tall Fescue will be darker and finer than just plain Tall Fescue, but not as fine as the Fine Fescue. Smile

Specific varieties will vary somewhat by location:
https://ipm.missouri.edu/MEG/2...rasses-for-Missouri/

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
I think it was the only grass seed I ever knew family to use. The problem I later found was that yards were not supposed to be half clover too.

I plant Clover in mine. Makes for easy Deer hinting in the fall. Wink

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6476 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
Unless you choose carefully your lawn could look bad. Not all grass is the same color or texture or grow at the same rate.

If all types are equally blended no real problem. But like a cake that hasn’t been blended the separate clumps are no bueno.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Sure, I mix indica and sativa all the time.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Must be some kind of doper's code, huh?

That Kentucky 31 is some good stuff, man.

Posts: 33606 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
Spread whatever seed you want - they will duke it out and the best grass will win eventually.

My yard doesn't have any fescue or "grass" - but it's all green, and looks ok after I cut it.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The one thing I've really noticed about this Kentucky 31 grass is how insanely FAST it grows.

I cut my grass on Sunday and lowered the deck slightly for the K31 in the front yard as it looks better cut a bit shorter than my rear yard grass which is fine fescue (I think?)

It's been rainy (PA is the new Seattle) since Sunday and I saw today that the K31 already needs to be cut again! 3 friggin' days! And I cut it a little shorter this week! Eek

The rear looks fine, but this K31 grass seems to grow at 2-3 times the rate of that other stuff.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
PA is the new Seattle

Looks like it. We're short 4 inches of rain this year.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13386 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Here is another question maybe the lawn experts here would know?

Which is better grass seed? Pennington or Scotts?

Or are they both basically the Glock and S&W of grass?

I'm looking at overseeding a section of my lawn that is thin because it's shaded by the magnolia and both of those companies have a dense shade grass seed that supposedly grows well in that environment, I estimate it gets only about 4 hours of full sun a day.