SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Going to look at a Weimaraner tomorrow
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Going to look at a Weimaraner tomorrow Login/Join 
Cupcake
Picture of Chipster
posted
We have an appointment to go look at some Weimaraner puppies tomorrow. They are 4 weeks old and won’t be ready until just after Christmas. We’ve been without a K9 in the house since our English Pointer dies last August at the age of 13 from bloat. We’ve missed him terribly and my wife and daughter have been struggling for some time with not having one in the house.

Anyone out there with some Weimaraner advise? We debated a lot of other dogs and went to adopt one but he was already gone (a pit bull mix). Our chocolate Lab passed away when he was 7 from cancer and he was also a great dog.

Chip

Posts: 557 | Location: IN | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Every Weimaraner I've ever seen was a high-energy dog and very active. Might be a perfect choice coming from an active Pointer owner.

Someone wanting a calm, mainly indoors dog should try a different breed.

Best of luck!

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Far from an expert....

But they're a bit barky and spazzy/energetic in my experience (one friend raised them, have been around maybe a dozen total, several different times over the years). Definitely more barky than my Doberman. Beautiful dogs, though, and smart enough I think.

You have fenced space to let em run, or some other capability of adequately exercising?

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
As others have said, high energy. But you can wear them out with games of fetch and such. They really need something to make them work occasionally. Good with older kids (I.e. not toddlers) and fairly social with other dogs without being aggressive (at least ours were). Good dog so long as you know what you’re getting yourself into.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MO-Sig
posted Hide Post
I had 15 wonderful years with a Weim named Miles. He was everything you could ever hope for in a family dog. Got along with everything and everyone. He could be off leash and pay absolutely no mind to other dogs. He was walking with me after all Smile, and didn't need anything else. The most faithful companion I've ever had and I will have another. Miles was the runt of the litter and outlived all his siblings. All of us were devastated when Miles left us so we adopted two rescue mixed breeds to fill in the void. I love our dogs now, but as soon as our breeder is ready there will be another Grey Ghost in my house. Miles got and needed lots of exercise but barked very little actually. They have a reputation for being a bit neurotic, but my experience was not at all that way. Hope you find a great dog!

This is what happens when you stop letting kids play dodgeball in school.

Posts: 475 | Location: Fly Over Country | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My boss from a long time ago had one, as long as a family member was around that dog was my best buddy. But when my boss went on a trip and left the dog for me to feed he became my mortal enemy. I had to feed him canned dog food so I could throw it over the fence so he could not get to me. And it wasn’t just me, he was that way with anybody who was not a family member. When the devil dog died he go another one that was a real sweetheart.

Posts: 1833 | Location: central Alabama | Registered: July 31, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
Only one I’ve experienced was a co-worker’s.
Beautiful dog, but barked incessantly, and had severe separation anxiety.

YMMV

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cupcake
Picture of Chipster
posted Hide Post
That’s interesting about the barking as I had not heard that yet. Our pointer was high energy but we live out in the country and he always had plenty of room to run and burn it off. We’ve also got an inground pool so he’ll have that in the warmer months. The breeder is being both mom and dad along tomorrow and we are totally up in the air on color and sex, so we will just go with our instincts.

We had an invisible fence for our Lab in town. Do you think the Weimaraner will wander more than the pointer?

Chip

Posts: 557 | Location: IN | Registered: March 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
A buddy adopted a rescue Weimer long ago. She was a fully mature dog who was fine with her new family & any friends dropping by.

The problem was when/if they left her home alone she'd go absolutely psychotic. They were delayed by a few hours once from a (local) shopping trip and arrived at home to find she had eaten all the wood trim, part of the door, and much of the dry wall along with shredding all of any cloth/clothing/material in what had been 'her' room.

They labored for 1 1/2 years to overcome her anxiety. Had to take her back to the pound eventually. Lots of unknowns in her background, but these were as good a 'dog family' as any one could hope to find.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had five in my lifetime. They are the most loyal and loving dogs you will ever own. However, you need to be patient with them for a few years. They need to know you are the boss as well. They want nothing but to be with you at all times. They are part of the family. Good luck!

Posts: 255 | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chipster:
That’s interesting about the barking as I had not heard that yet. Our pointer was high energy but we live out in the country and he always had plenty of room to run and burn it off. We’ve also got an inground pool so he’ll have that in the warmer months. The breeder is being both mom and dad along tomorrow and we are totally up in the air on color and sex, so we will just go with our instincts.

We had an invisible fence for our Lab in town. Do you think the Weimaraner will wander more than the pointer?

Seems to me that you just might be an ideal Weimaraner family........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Weims typically don't roam too much in my experience. They want to stay around family. Ours gets between our kids and any trouble. He wouldn't hurt a flea, but others don't know that.

Posts: 255 | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
I've shared my home with a half dozen Weims over the last 25+ years. Frequently with two at a time. I also work with a Weim rescue and have fostered for them.

Even for seasoned dog people, Weimaraners are tough pups. They are in the puppy stage for a full two years. You will see a surprising number in rescue or being "Re-homed" at around a year old.

Also prone to bloat. If you end up with a female, have the stomach tacked when spayed.

I have an older male now who has been an amazing trainer. I have found that having two made training, house breaking and exercise easier than with one. But with a couple years in age difference.

Even with suspect breeding, I have had two reach ages 16 and 17, a female and male respectively. With very few health issues.

Crate training is best for all concerned. They love their people but separation anxiety is a consequence. The crate becomes the safe space and saves the rest of the home.

STRONG prey drive. If you have a cat or any other small animals this will be a risk. Same goes for chickens, ducks, chipmunks etc.

All that said, I've never told anyone they weren't great dogs. Crazy intelligent, athletic and loving. And puppies don't come any cuter.

Feel free to email me. Best of luck.

Posts: 1633 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A co-worker had one that she brought to the office a couple times. I'm not a dog person any more, but it was a very sweet, high-energy animal. If I was younger myself and needed a dog, Weims would be high on the list.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
Every Weimaraner I've ever seen was a high-energy dog and very active. Might be a perfect choice coming from an active Pointer owner.

Someone wanting a calm, mainly indoors dog should try a different breed.

Best of luck!

Ours is 13 yo and hitting the last years.
She is a wonderful dog, was Always Mellow, never destructive, very protective, yet friendly. Was always an indoor dog. We always had a fenced yard for her.
I took her out 2x a day for some vigorous ball throwing exercise and she still loves going for a ride in the car. She was fixed at age 1.
The females are smaller than the males and calmer.
I would say they turn out to be what they are taught, but You get, what you put into it. They are very smart and can smell food smile away, KEEP Them Lean!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8354 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
We had a 50/50 mix Weimaraner/black lab - freaking incredible dog. She passed at 18 last spring. Very smart/sensitive and loved to learn, taught her football pass patterns (screen left and right, post, slant etc.) via hand signal. High energy, loyal, very good off leash, no roaming. I think she finally “settled down” when she was about 15...we still joke about that.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wishbone
posted Hide Post
We have had them. Beautiful animals and love the blue eyes when they are puppies. Our where diggers and dug massive holes in the back yard. Also one of ours died due to eating rocks! I don't know why he did that but he wouldn't stop eating them and it killed him. They are high strung. We had German shorthaired pointers after that and they were a little easier.

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cupcake
Picture of Chipster
posted Hide Post
Yesterday went well. They had both parents their for us to meet and they were both extremely well mannered. Dad was a 90 pound workhorse and mom was a much more slight 60 pound blue color. We ended up going with the slightly smaller silver male.

Chip

Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
And the photos???

Posts: 1633 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
high energy and high strung but very loyal

I had Vizsla's growing up and they were both awesome

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post