SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Garage Door Question - Safety Sensor
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Garage Door Question - Safety Sensor Login/Join 
Banned
posted
Lately, my garage door will not return to the down position. I had a tech come out, and of course the problem did not replicate for him.

I recently discovered the issue though. The problem only happens in the morning. Turns out, the sunlight at that time of day shines directly on one of the safety sensors, causing the garage to think there is interference.

If I put an object in the path of the sun, creating a shadow, it then works fine.

Anyone experience something like this? Solutions?

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One True IcePick
Picture of eyrich
posted Hide Post

Posts: 858 | Location: IL | Registered: September 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
If you think you can live without nanny state protection, take the sensors loose and remount them pointing at each other up high about an inch apart. This defeats the safety feature so whatever is under the door will get smashed when it auto closes if it doesn't move. Eek

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep.

Small diameter tube about 1-2 inches in length as "sun shade".

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:

Thanks. Will try that.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
McDonald’s straw cut shorter works on some of them

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
My neighbor asked for help with the much the same problem. Her husband couldn't figure it out. The door worked fine in the morning but wouldn't shut later. Went over, saw the sensors were out of alinement. The heat would expand the metal brace and the sensor didn't work. I bent the brace back into line and fixed it.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I swapped mine out when it happened to me.
I put the eye on the side the sum comes in from and the emitter on the side toward the sun. problem solved.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This happened to my brother. He used PVC pipe cut to size and super glued it on. He even spray painted it black. I feel like it was only about 1.5” or so, but might be wrong on that length. You don’t even notice it.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post