SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best man duties
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best man duties Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
A friend asked me to be best man at his second wedding. What's the protocol or duties. Anything expected that I don't know about? We're older now so I'd expect to not have some childish party. None of us drink or anything like that. I'm lost on this one.

As a side note I was also in his first wedding, but not as best man and I think he asked me this time to make up for that. He lived in Florida at the time and wasn't sure I could make the trip.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I'm guessing you'll have to give a speech about how great he his, and how his new bride is much better than his first...

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
I'm guessing you'll have to give a speech about how great he his, and how his new bride is much better than his first...
I only agreed to it with the understanding that I don't do public speaking.

He still tried to wiggle a speech in. Nixed. Maybe he regrets asking.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
and how his new bride is much better than his first...

lol.

i dunno mark, some long tirade on his first old lady could be pretty epic.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hold the ring on wedding day and hand it to the groom at the proper time. Be the "fixer" on the wedding day. And it's your call, but a great gift would be a short speech since it's hard for you.

Posts: 17142 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
There will still be responsibilites, but likely paired down assuming the wedding is paired down as it's a 2nd marriage for both. Here is a checklist.

Bachelor parties don't have to be drunken orgies. For example, you could rent a bay at the range for an afternoon followed by a cookout. I had one buddy who liked hot wings and liked to laugh. We took him out for wings and a comedy club where the headliner was a clean comic.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Just don't try to prove it.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I went on a 2 day river rafting trip (Arkansas River, Brown's canyon) for a bachelor party. I doubt that is up your alley, but like T-Todd said, they don't have to be drunken orgies...think outside the box.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Work out some wording for a short speech, run it past the groom and bride. Say it, propose the toast, then let them preside the rest of the day.

A small party - maybe a BBQ, maybe a restaurant - would be appropriate for the "bachelor" festivities. The wedding party for a 2nd marriage usually isn't as large.

You might be able to have the BBQ at one of the sites you service for your business - lets you show off your abilities.

Posts: 2771 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
My best man (my brother) helped me get my tux on which was a big help, holding the jacket up so I could slip it on, etc.

Posts: 33794 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Hit the shooting range and then stop for beer & bbq?

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ask your friend what he expects.

I told my brother all I wanted was him standing by my side and a short speech.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
No shooting, he's a liberal. No bbq, he's vegan.

Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Dang Frown I guess you could hit up a natural food place and do wheat grass shots after an antifa riot Big Grin

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Doesn't eat meat, doesn't eat dairy, doesn't drink, doesn't shoot, doesn't like logic - what the heck does the guy like?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23246 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
plan a bachelor party or a night out of something. DOesnt have to be crazy. Hold ring, go to dress rehearsal, the usual.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:
Dang Frown I guess you could hit up a natural food place and do wheat grass shots after an antifa riot Big Grin
Haha! Big Grin

Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
Make sure guys friends behave and that the groom shows up on time.

Preferably with the ring.

My only (3 marriages 4 weeddings) bachelor's started with explaining to a cop that the screaming fool reported was now passed out in the back seat and ended with a US Dep Marshal being beat down with a cue ball. Roll Eyes

And remember you can never wash all the stripper dust off.....

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Go do something fun. If shooting and alcohol are out, how about a camping trip, boat outing, fishing trip, etc?

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Source: (www.CNN.com/2008/LIVING/wayoflife/06/27/wedding.traditions/index.html?_s=PM:LIVING)

The original duty of a "Best Man" was to serve as armed backup for the groom in case he had to resort to kidnapping his intended bride away from disapproving parents.

The "best" part of that title refers to his skill with a sword, should the need arise. You wouldn't want to take the "just okay" member of your weapon-wielding posse with you to steal yourself a wife, would you?

The best man stands guard next to the groom right up through the exchange of vows and later, outside the newlyweds' bedroom door, just in case anyone should attack or if a non-acquiescent bride should try to make a run for it.

It's said that feisty groups like the Huns, Goths, and Visigoths took so many brides by force that they kept a cache of weapons stored beneath the floorboards of churches for convenience.

Modern-day best men are more likely to store an emergency six-pack at the ceremony for convenience, but the title remains an apt one.

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post