SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Innocent Words (and Names) Are Under Attack
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Innocent Words (and Names) Are Under Attack Login/Join 
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
A few years back I had a problem with a gun-related story I had submitted to a well-known shooting magazine here in UK.

I made the mistake of using the word 'snigger' in describing my reaction to an anti-gun remark. The word in my text was red-lined AND red-circled and the whole text returned to me for correction.

I couldn't come up with another word that had quite the same connotation as 'snigger', so I changed it to 'snegro' and left it up to the editorial staff.

Oddly enough, I never heard a word back from them, from that day to this...

tac
Big Grin Very well played.

I am stealing this story.

Posts: 7256 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
quote:
niggardly

not generous; stingy.
"serving out the rations with a niggardly hand"
synonyms: cheap, mean, miserly, parsimonious, close-fisted, penny-pinching, cheeseparing, grasping, ungenerous, illiberal; More
adverbarchaic
in a stingy or meager manner.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
A few years back I had a problem with a gun-related story I had submitted to a well-known shooting magazine here in UK.

I made the mistake of using the word 'snigger' in describing my reaction to an anti-gun remark. The word in my text was red-lined AND red-circled and the whole text returned to me for correction.

I couldn't come up with another word that had quite the same connotation as 'snigger', so I changed it to 'snegro' and left it up to the editorial staff.

Oddly enough, I never heard a word back from them, from that day to this...

tac

That's what they get for niggling.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post