SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    R.I.P. Dick Enberg
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

R.I.P. Dick Enberg Login/Join 
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted

Posts: 4981 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
"Oh my"
Rip Dick, you had a great run.
Enjoyed him many times over the years

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19108 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A great announcer with a lot of class.
I recall listening to him when I was growing up commentating all the sports.

I thought he narrated and gave great commentary on whatever he was covering.

The great ones are slowly leaving us.

I cannot listen to have the people call the play by play for any sport whether it be baseball, football, etc.. They are sound boring and act like they don't really know the sport they are covering.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
He was the only person worth watching during the Olympics coverage, it's a shame they paired him up with that douche canoe Kostas.

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
John McEnroe, Enberg’s partner in the tennis broadcast booth for years and his behavioral polar opposite, continued this line of thinking.

“I’ve been around a fair amount of people and I don’t think I’ve met anyone who’s as nice a person, as professional a person,” he told the Union-Tribune in 2016. “Even though he disagreed with the way I acted while I was playing sometimes, he made an effort to figure me out as a person and work better together [as broadcasters] and have fun. …

“If people ask me the top tennis players, when I throw out [Rod] Laver, [Pete] Sampras, Rafa [Nadal], Roger [Federer], I would put him in the same category,” McEnroe said. “He’s a Mount Rushmore guy.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com...m_term=.5b6751dbb68c

Here's the intro by Enberg to the NBC presentation of The Championships, Wimbledon.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23935 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We’ve lost a number of wonderful, Golden voices. Summerall, Gifford, now Enberg. Most of my favorites are gone or in their 80’s.
RIP

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4212 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
There have been only a few who could credibly broadcast a wide range of multiple sports---Engberg, Jack Buck, Vin Scully, Jim McKay, Dan Kelly, Marv Albert, Don Criqui, Lloyd Pettit, Lindsay Nelson, and maybe a couple of others.

Scully's now retired, and Criqui and Albert are the only two still actively working. All the rest of the legendary voices in my head are gone.

**sigh**

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
We’ve lost a number of wonderful, Golden voices. Summerall, Gifford, now Enberg. Most of my favorites are gone or in their 80’s.
RIP

Yeah. Don’t forget Keith Jackson.

Fond memories, Mr. Enberg

Posts: 13163 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Failing to prepare is
preparing to fail.
Picture of SigLaw
posted Hide Post
I grew up in Southern California in the 70s and loved UCLA and Angels baseball. Dick was great and will be missed.

Posts: 1355 | Location: Gilbert, AZ | Registered: November 08, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post