SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Used SUV CX-9, Highlander, Explorer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Used SUV CX-9, Highlander, Explorer Login/Join 
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted
Looking for a used SUV. I currently have a car but would like something a little bigger. I don't need three rows of seats but do like the CX-9 over the smaller CX-7.

Looking at the 2010-2012 range. under $12,000

I have a work vehicle so this will not see a lot of miles during the week but I do need a personal vehicle for outside of work.

I have no problems working on my own cars but would like to avoid anything that has a history of major problems.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16397 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Ford Flex & Explorer would probably fit the budget, on an Edge for a bit smaller without the 3rd row seating.

Our Flex has been flawless in the 2 years we've had it. Just gas oil tires & an alignment.

Mazda CX5 is a bit smaller than the CX9 & Ford options, but is a great driving little SUV.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15306 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I recommend the Toyota Venza.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Highlander. No doubt. And twice on Sunday!!!!

Did I mention a Highlander???? Seriously, if it has been maintained or a CPO you will have no worries and endless miles of driving bliss. I do not know if you will be able to find one in your price range though.

Good luck on your search.

Posts: 4054 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
In that price range I don't think you're going to get a Highlander unless it has a lot of miles on it, likely over 100k miles.

More realistic would be a Kia Sportage or Hyundai Santa Fe.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
I'll likely be in the same market soon. How is the Santa Fe?

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
2010 Explorer is what I would go with for your budget.
It was the last year of the RWD based 4WD system for the Explorers. I had a 2002 with 159k miles I sold to a buddy last year and it is still going strong.
The 4.0L motor is a great motor with decent power but mileage sucks. The 4.6L is a great motor too. Only issue I had was the blend door actuator went out it was a $25 part but one has to disassemble the entire freaking dash to get to it. The 4wd drive system is pretty picky about all tires being very close in tread depth or it throws it out of whack so you need to rotate and balance every 5k to keep them close together.

My wife drives a 2012 Highlander with 60k miles and it has been great only issue is the well known crappy intermediate steering shafts Toyota uses and clunk like crazy. A beefed up shaft has been released I just have not gotten around to buying one.
Any Highlander you find for 12k and under is going to have been ridden hard and hung up wet so while a great vehicle your budget does not allow for one that is going to last you.

As for the Mazda my father has a loaded CX5 and it just seems really cheap to me. He had to have the transmission replaced under warranty and I believe it is starting to go again.
I am not sure if the transmission is shared up the line or not.

So in you shoes the Explorer is the way to go. Not all have the 3rd row, so since you don’t need it only gives you more cargo space.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25418 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
The highlander is nice. If you'ld be willing to go a couple years older the 3rd gen 4runner might work for you.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24106 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our 2010 Highlander has been absolutely trouble free since we have owned it. I would recommend one without reservation.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hyundai and Kia should be on your list.

Posts: 817 | Registered: February 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post