SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What? Hearing aid folks, please step inside...**Update - I can hear again!**
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What? Hearing aid folks, please step inside...**Update - I can hear again!** Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted
I turned 55 this year, doesn’t seem exactly “old” but the decline of age just seems to be picking up speed.

I was a diagnosed with “Hallux Rigidus” last year. While in the grand scheme of things it may be a relatively minor condition, it is pretty painful at times and caused mine to give up motorcycling as I could no longer balance my 700lb motorcycle on tip toes any longer. Being short of inseam and no motorcylcles that interest me with aseat height lower than 31” or so it was time to hang up my helmet.

A metal plate in my right shoe and frequent Aleve keep it in check most of the time, when it flares up though every step sends me through the roof.

I’ve worn glasses since my senior year of high school, but my vision has at least stabilized and my progressive lens prescription hasn’t changed much in the last few years.

Now, it looks like I will be joining the hearing aid crowd. Thanks to too many years working around military aircraft (and firearms probably helped as well) I’ve known about some high frequency hearing loss for a while. Nothing too bothersome, main thing I have noticed is that it is difficult to understand speech with background noise or determine direction of sounds.

My Dad and my wife’s mom are both about deaf as a post so we set them up for hearing tests at Costco. My wife wanted to get her’s checked as well and convinced me to do the same. As it turns out, we are both candidates for hearing aids as well.

We demo’d a couple different brands and it was amazing how much difference it really made. Hearing things like the ventilation system, people’s foot steps, conversations happening 15’ behind me etc. I felt like I was eavesdropping on people it was so easy to hear them.

I am still not convince I “need” them, but what I am being told is that sooner is better as the longer you wait, not only the worse the hearing becomes, but the less responsive it is to hearing aids.

My wife is adamant that she wants to get them and there is no denying the hearing test I took and the hour and a half trial wearing them around the store suggests I would benefit from them. I have heard nothing but good things about Costco when it comes to hearing aids but wanted to check with he SF forum for their experiences before committing.

We have ordered the “ReSound Forte 8” model, it is a step up from the Costco Kirkland branded ones, but still pretty reasonable at $2499/pair compared to other sources which seem to start in the $3500-$4000 range.

So for those SF folks who have history or experience with hearing issues, what can you tell me or warn me about?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 911Boss,

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10930 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
They do make a huge difference. I'm 63 and have had hearing aids for about 5 years now. Before I had them, I couldn't hear conversation in a restaurant or busy room and I couldn't understand what children and women were saying (due to my loss of higher frequencies, they seemed to be mumbling).

My EENT did tell me that over time you do progressively lose the ability to process and understand speech. Loss of hearing also is suspected as a contributing factor in Alzheimer's development.

I love it that I can now hear what my wife and grandchildren are saying when they talk to me. I can't think of any downsides to having them.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16510 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
I have Phonaks, very durable. Costco seems to be a popular choice. My insurance covered a local Audiologist so I went that route.
I've had them over 10 years now, there is "over the ear" and "flush mount". I would suggest you try both and see what works for you.
They can program different settings for background noise, this takes time and patience.
Sooner is better for them for sure, wish have them years earlier.
It takes a while to get used to them, I know of some who gave up after a week or so.
It's rare to have them perfect the first time, in my case it took a few times to get them right.

Posts: 1292 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
I just got hearing aids through Costco two weeks ago and couldn't be happier. I knew I needed them for years but didn't want to admit it. They taking some getting used to, but IMO, they're worth every penny.

I got the Kirkland Signature 8.0's for $1.600.00 as I couldn't see any benefits to the more expensive versions. They come with a 36 month warranty against loss or damage, which can actually be extended to 60 months if you use a Costco Premier card.

My only regret is I have an Android phone so can't stream music or phone calls without an added accessory. iPhones will pair directly.

Posts: 1811 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Truth is, most people past the age of 40 can probably benefit from hearing aids.

I got them about six months ago (I'm 66). I was reluctant at first, like most people, I imagine, but what a difference they make! I went large, and got a pair of Oticon Opn 1 miniRITEs. They use rechargeable batteries, have multiple modes, and connect via Bluetooth to my phone (I can listen to audio and take calls through them).

Most people don't even notice I'm wearing them. I've pointed them out a number of times and the response I've gotten has been mostly, "Gee, until you pointed them out, I never noticed!"

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I'm about there myself. The phrase "If I'd have known that I'd live this long I'd have taken better care of myself" comes to mind.

90% of the time I do just fine without, but I have a real hard time hearing things when there is a lot of background noise, and at work where there is background noise and people talking to me while wearing masks or hoods (operating room) which muffle their voices.

I've been looking at these EargoMax ones.

They get great reviews and they are what I would want. I'm not really so vain as to not want anything visible, but I just couldn't stand having anything hanging on my ear externally. Those that fit nicely into the canal would suit me perfectly.

They seem to have a decent return policy, so I may just pull the trigger and try them out.

Posts: 20088 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
The differences between the “Base” Costco $1599 ones and the Forte at $2499 is some additional noise reduction and filtering. Best I can describe as more “real” sounding when I demo’d them compared to the base model sounding ok, but like it was coming through “headphones” if that make sense.

The Forte also has an app and connects to iPhone for call audio. Also the app lets you adjust the settings based on a variety of different “environments” such as outdoors, restaurant, movie, etc.

Another nice feature of the app is it “beeps” the hearing aid in case you misplace it.

Best part is the “trial” period. Fully refundable for 6 months if it isn’t working. 3 year warranty and 2 year loss/damage coverage.

Posts: 10930 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I kneel for my God,
and I stand for my flag
posted Hide Post
I have an app where I can change the settings, volume, microphone direction, etc., But have left them in auto mode until tonight. Went to dinner and there was a lot of background noise so I changed them to only pick up what was directly in front of me. Worked great!

Posts: 1811 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm 44 and have had hearing aids for two years. I knew I needed them by my late 30s but was vain and stubborn. Get them now, adjust to them, and don't look back. Pay attention to how things sound after your initial fitting. Go back for adjustments if needed. Remember there are limitations to what can be done.

Posts: 4277 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
The VA gave me Resound Linx2 last year. I don't like wearing them if I'm talking to people my voice doesn't sound right it's like having my fingers in my ear and can't tell house loud I'm talking.
I did wear them last night to go to the movie so I could understand the dialog better.
I like that I can stream audio off my Iphone. I can listen to our 2 meter ham repeater without my girlfriend bitching she doesn't even know.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
I have ones made by Semens. They’re small sized behind the ear digital type. They have little buttons on each for level choices. The left one controls the program (3 choices, normal, lower for noisy rooms, and quite). The right one is a volume control. Both can be adjusted by my Audiologist over a wide range of frequencies.

The best advice I can give is don’t expect to get them, go out into the world and have them perfect the first time. You’ll need to wear them in many different situations to access how they work for you. Expect several trips back for adjustments. Those should be done for free!

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
I love it that I can now hear what my wife and grandchildren are saying when they talk to me. I can't think of any downsides to having them.

That's the downside.
No longer will you be able to say, "Gee Hon, I didn't hear that part of your complaint." Wink Wink
(unless you aren't wearing them....that works too)

All kidding aside, they open up the world to you again. Having F'd up hearing is easy on the nearly deaf person.
It's the OTHER people that have to interact with you that it's hard on. Give them a break and get 'em.
Your family will love not having to repeat EVERYTHING.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've been looking at these EargoMax ones. They get great reviews and they are what I would want. I'm not really so vain as to not want anything visible, but I just couldn't stand having anything hanging on my ear externally. Those that fit nicely into the canal would suit me perfectly.

I think it depends on the programming available more than the style according to your hearing test.

The "hanging on my ear" isn't even a problem/question. You WILL NOT notice them unless you wear glasses with a wide temple piece or a hat that sits low enough to hit buttons if they sit on top of the hearing aid. (like mine do)
My aviator Ray-Bans have thin temple pieces, my golf glasses are larger. One baseball style cap hits the buttons, several others don't.

My wife can't tell if mine are on or not unless she touches my ear. They are that inconspicuous....well that and I can't hear her without her yelling. Then she knows!

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I have the same kind you got OP and I paid $2,700 at my Costco back in March 2, 2018.

I don't use it much but better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19649 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Starkey brand models. Mine link to my cell phone via Bluetooth, which makes phone conversation much easier.

Posts: 17140 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
911Boss: about your hallux rigidus--

I developed hallux limitus in the big toe of my right foot. It was on its way to hallux rigidus, and was bad enough that I thought I would need to quit tae kwon do, which I love.

I went to my acupuncturist, and he told me he thought he could help. After the first session the redness lightened dramatically, and it was less swollen. After the second session, in a week, the redness was gone, and the swelling was way down. After the third session the following week, the swelling was gone and I had very close to normal flexibility.

It was amazing.

As you know, hallux limitus does not just reverse itself. It degenerates in time to hallux rigidus. So there is no doubt at all in my mind that the acupuncture treatment cured my foot. There is now no discoloration, no swelling, and normal flexibility.

I recommend that you find a good acupuncturist-- licensed in your state and preferably trained in China-- and give it a try.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m on my third year with Costco KS6 hearing aids $1699/pair. Prior to them I had top oticon $6k /pair. The KS6 are just as good as the more expensive oticon hearing aids.

My suggestions on hearing aids:
Wear hearing aids all waking hours so you really get used to them. To steal a phrase you have to train your brain.

Take the steps to get the hearing aids fitted/adjusted best for you. This is a big part of success with hearing aids. I changed to a different Costco tech and that made a difference for me.

I really like the ability of my current hearing aids to connect to my iphone without another device. This requires and iPhone for my hearing aids.

There is a web site that has hearing aid information and a forum

Www.hearingtracker.com

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an adapto. It’s about 10 years old. It’s been repaired several times. It’s a behind the ear model with a lot of horsepower. I have a large loss 90% in one ear.I can control the volume.

Hearing aid reps try to sell me new models with no volume control. They set the volume in the office and you have no control. When in an environment such as a meeting where I can barely hear, I can turn the volume up. higher volume produces more distortion (amplifier clips), but I can hear what’s being said.

When I listen to music I can lower the power and hear less distortion.

I like that freedom. I hope I’m neve forced to but an unadjustable aid.

Posts: 1607 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a serious hearing loss that caused my retirement. The VA gave me a set of Phonaks. I tried to get used to them but struggle with it. The seem to have a "rushing" noise that I hear whenever I wear them. And if it is windy, thats all I hear. I may need to get them adjusted. My Provider said I would get used to them. But so far, no joy!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16072 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Picked up my new “ears” today and initial impression is simply “WOW!”

The iPhone app and connectivity is pretty cool, I used the “outdoor” setting for the drive home in the convertible with the top down. Dialed up the wind noise compensation and was pretty impressed.

Prior to the hearing aids, listening to music I would have the radio set between 15-20 with the top up and 20-25 with the top down. I was running top down on the freeway, 70mph and radio only needed to be at 12-14. 25 was almost painful.

Watching TV tonight, my wife was asking for the volume to be turned UP, usually she is asking for me to turn it down or wear my BT headphones. Turning it up to where she wanted it made it too loud for me, so I just turned down my HA volume. Dialogue I would struggle with before was clear and understandable.

My wife gets hers next week, she is jealous I got mine first.

I am not sure I should be this excited about having hearing aids, but so far I am amazed at the sounds I have been missing.