SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any Geographers, GIS or Remote Sensing Professionals??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any Geographers, GIS or Remote Sensing Professionals?? Login/Join 
Picture of DanPatWork
posted
I'm looking to connect with like-minded individuals who might be in one or more of these career fields. I am approaching the end of my schooling at the University and will graduate with a BS in Geography with a focus on cartography and a GIS minor.

I'm considering continuing on to a masters program, but there are a few factors I am concerned about.

1. I am an older Non-Trad (47 years old).
2. Cost. This stuff isn't getting any cheaper and I'm putting up more debt than I like.
3. Time-based ROI. Is this going to be worthwhile with my reduced amount of time left in the workforce.
4. Masters options. I know there are online masters programs, but will they stack up against an in-residence degree.

I think I remember seeing another member with some of this field of experience and I'm hoping for some input from the group.

Posts: 284 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: June 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife is a GISP, with 18 years experience. She's now the GIS Manager for a Fortune 200 company, and is growing her department.

Her comments regarding new grads is that they don't have enough programming background. She previously worked for two different local governments. Each place has their own architecture and requirements, but have standardized on ESRI and Geocortex, with custom programming to produce the metrics/web enabled maps desired.

I guess I'm saying more education might not help, per se. Perhaps seek employment, then continue the education as time allows?

Peter

Posts: 94 | Location: Chesapeake, VA | Registered: September 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
My DIL graduated about 6 years ago and went to work for the National Geospacial Agency. They supply satellite imagery to the defense Dept. among other things. She enjoys it.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
What are you ultimately seeking? By that, are you desiring a contractor working environment or more of a company providing services environment. The contractor route can be lucrative with all the joys and benefits of contract work.

Is there a field you jve experience in that utilizes GIS? Xan you leverage that knowledge in addition to your new GIS knowledge to be in a valued position?

Some examples where GIS might be used in a fashion not initially thought of:
*Utility (power/oil/gas) asset management, mapping, maintenance scheduling etc.
*Governmental maintenance like pot hole repair or sign repairs etc.
*Governmental wildlife/vegetation management or tracking
*Real estate valuations
*Watershed mapping
*Inventory management

I am sure you know all of this, I am just attempting to give you alternate perspective(s). Smile

Posts: 3573 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DanPatWork
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffips:
What are you ultimately seeking? By that, are you desiring a contractor working environment or more of a company providing services environment. The contractor route can be lucrative with all the joys and benefits of contract work.

Is there a field you jve experience in that utilizes GIS? Xan you leverage that knowledge in addition to your new GIS knowledge to be in a valued position?

Some examples where GIS might be used in a fashion not initially thought of:
*Utility (power/oil/gas) asset management, mapping, maintenance scheduling etc.
*Governmental maintenance like pot hole repair or sign repairs etc.
*Governmental wildlife/vegetation management or tracking
*Real estate valuations
*Watershed mapping
*Inventory management

I am sure you know all of this, I am just attempting to give you alternate perspective(s). Smile

Thanks for the responses so far everyone.

I guess that is the first part of my problem that needs to be addressed. I'm open to almost anything at this point. I would prefer to find something that might keep me in my region of northern Wisconsin or the UP but I'm also trying to be realistic. That would likely require a position in a local municipality, county, or teaching. I know that I'm capable of teaching in the GIS field but work experience is my biggest drawback. I am assuming a masters degree helps with this in some formats like teaching at community college but I would like to have some real world application underneath my belt too. I also assumed that as a fresh graduate it would be unlikely to find contract work with no practical work experience on a resume.

I have some experience with database development, and was preparing to implement data acquisition of highway signs assets for the local county when I was injured due to equipment failure. I took a 14 foot fall when something broke in a work lift and dropped the end of the lift I was in. I'm wrapping up my school while awaiting surgery to "fix" the injury, but I'm not sure if I will be able or allowed back to complete the data collection or webmap implementation as I was just a summer LTE hire.

The degree process seems good at a broad spectrum exposure to the field, but true applicable use is limited. That might be my one advantage over some of my classmates. I have learned that I am willing, able, and enjoy learning just about anything. I've tried to take a wide sample of classes to include database development, python programming, and mobile application development and use. I've seen too many of the students taking degrees and minors that are focused in on very particular fields that are having trouble finding jobs.

I'll always be able to fall back on auto or heavy truck/equipment repair if I should have to, but the whole point of going back to school was to try to find work in a career field that wasn't so hard on the body with better access to retirement and/or health insurance.

Posts: 284 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: June 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post