SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Robots on Patrol in NYC - Privacy concerns
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Robots on Patrol in NYC - Privacy concerns Login/Join 
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted
Mellow Greetings fellow Citizen, what seems to be your boggle?

NEW YORK (CBSNewYork) — The security force of the future is already patrolling several neighborhoods in the Tri-State Area.

The robotic protectors can see what you’re doing and even talk back to you, but the machines created by a New Yorker have prompted serious privacy concerns, CBS2’s Clark Fouraker reported Tuesday.

One of the models, named “Rosie,” uses the same technology as a self-driving car to patrol the sidewalks at the Lefrak City Apartments in Queens.

This is a crazy combination of artificial intelligence, self-driving autonomous technology, robotics, and analytics in something that’s actually useful for society,” said Knightscope CEO William Santana Li.

Li’s company has built three robot models in the United States, and is introducing them to customers inside a new showroom at 47th Street and Lexington Avenue in Manhattan.

They’re also deployed at LaGuardia Airport.

“I thought it was pretty cool, but I didn’t even know what it really was,” Connie Ruan said. “I thought it was just patrolling around.”

Each robot has five cameras, four of which help the robot see things. The other is used to get thermal imaging data. All of the information gathered goes to an internet-based portal that helps local security forces on the ground.

“The law enforcement apparatus is not going to scale,” Li said. “You can’t keep adding more people, and we’re going to add more people and more officers. It’s not going to happen. Society literally can’t afford this.”

The robots are able to observe people walking on the sidewalks, record license plate numbers, detect the heat in objects, and see which cellphone serial numbers are within a designated patrolling area.

Knightscope said the data is secured and is only seen by the security agency controlling the robot. They’re able to stop it and tell it what to look for, but it doesn’t have a joystick that would allow it to follow or target a specific person.

Of course, privacy concerns abound.

“In the wrong hands, people could like… reboot it or something,” said Far Rockaway resident Jose Rodriguez.

Li grew up in Queens and said the 9/11 attacks began his thinking about how to improve security across the country.

“I’m really still upset about it, so I’m dedicating our lives to improving the safety of our country,” he said.

The company said it costs between $6 and $12 an hour for a new robot to hit the streets. They’re currently deployed in 16 states to come alongside local security teams to help reduce crime.

Posts: 23381 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
That’s not a robot. That’s a GODDAMN DALEK and shit’s about to get EXTERMINATED!!!!

Or maybe not but.....Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7674 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
Looks like a huge vibrator.

Posts: 5197 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
^ ^ ^ ^ Haaaaa! Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
"Rosie Tipping" - coming soon.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
They've used something similar in San Francisco. The SPCA there tried one to provide some security on their campus. They removed it after a threat of fines from the city and social media criticizing them for harassing the homeless.

https://www.theguardian.com/us...cisco-homeless-robot

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11762 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm....
While wearing a mask, approach scary robot and throw a tarp over it.
With friends, pick up and throw scary robot into the bed of a truck.
Drive to nearest body of water and toss scary robot into it.
Problem solved.
And since you cant own a gun in NYC, how resistant to an aluminum ball bat is the scary robot?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
Taser resistant??

Can a large magnet wipe it's programming??

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2004 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43865 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
You laugh, but when one that can parkour replaces the Dalek we're in deep trouble.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
waiting for:

1) the first one to show up on blocks with no wheels

2) A stolen and repainted one to show up with 20's and spinners

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
kinda looks like a shmoo. Probably taastes like chicken

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Wait til some tag artist get hold of one of those! Big Grin

Of course it could work out like it did in D.C.

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SeaCliff
posted Hide Post
They won't last long if they put one in where I grew up. Upper Manhattan projects. The Hood.

Posts: 1894 | Location: San Diego | Registered: October 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
Now-

The next iteration?

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15554 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post