SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Salt Lake PD puts on duty ED Charge Nurse in handcuffs
Page 1 2 3 4 5 ... 23
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Salt Lake PD puts on duty ED Charge Nurse in handcuffs Login/Join 
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
It just occurred to me, where is the ED/ER doc in all of this? He/she is the one giving/writing orders. Nurses can't do anything without doctor's orders, whether verbal or written. If that asshole was going to arrest someone, it should have been the doctor, right?

This reminded me of a case when I used to work ER several years ago. A patient involved in a crash was suspected of DUI. Cop wanted us to do blood draw for BAC level. I told the nurse nope. No court order, no go. Sorry, but I was not going to assault the patient.

Good point. If the doc had been involved, I doubt the officer would have escalated to that point.

Watching the video, the man in the white top in the middle of it says "It's my department, she's done nothing wrong...." Apparently they didn't bother to cuff n' stuff him, too.

Maybe the detective has a childhood trauma involving Olympic skiers?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
She needs to sue every one of the police officers involved individually for millions of dollars.

Is that really possible? Or, in reality, would she be suing the innocent taxpayers for millions of dollars?

Posts: 15887 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flyboyrv6:
The root cause is poor training on the part of the officers... the nurse knew the law and supreme court decision and why didn't the officers?

Just another one that got through the screening process. Not only lack of training but an attitude problem since he is a public servant. The other officers should have spoken up but maybe they are not up to speed as well.

You have to ask yourself, What would this guy do in a more serious case without thinking? He should be fired and no longer qualified to work in law enforcement. The others should be reprimanded.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
According to the Salt Lake Tribune, the patient SLPD wanted to get a blood sample from was a reserve police officer from Idaho. The Tribune said he was the victim in the case they were investigating. I'm guessing had he been conscious, he likely would have given them the sample.

"...Payne’s report identifies him as 43-year-old William Gray, a reserve officer in the Rigby, Idaho, Police Department, who suffered burns during a July 26 crash in Cache County."

http://www.sltrib.com/news/201...-unconscious-victim/

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's the opportunity for LE to come down hard on this guy and prove that there is not a Blue line of silence. There IS no other side to hear. She was right. She has the law on her side and he was nothing but an ass.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
She needs to sue every one of the police officers involved individually for millions of dollars.

Is that really possible? Or, in reality, would she be suing the innocent taxpayers for millions of dollars?

Sue the department and the individuals. If you win and strip the individuals of qualified immunity, you can wreck them. But the only money will come from the department.

And yes, it comes from the taxpayers.

The solution is to cut funding of the police the amount of the settlement. That way the department feels the pain and will hopefully make changes.

I also came up with the perfect word to describe cops like Payne: DOUCHEBADGE. I'm gonna trademark it.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
SLCPD is a shit show. They don't play well with other agencies. Their dispatch system sucks and is run by the mayors office and not the PD or Fire. They admin folks have a long history of sexual harassment and protecting their own ivory tower asses. The SLC Politicians have their fingers so deep in the PD their cops can taste the freshly applied fingernail polish from their gay liberal mayor. These guys get their marching orders from the top. I suspect this detective was out of his element. Likely has been sitting in some easy specialty for the last ten or so years and having little to do with actual law enforcement. writing a warrant for a blood draw is boiler plate. There is literally a template you just have to fill in a couple of spaces and its done. Takes about 15 minutes. I'm still not sure why he needed the blood. He wasn't the suspect but a victim. The hospital takes blood with their own labs. A subpoena for those labs at a latter date would have been just fine. That of course assumes you can't get the victim to sign a medical release where he signs a one page form and the hospital copies all of the medical, treatment, xrays, labs and doctors notes which would have had his blood alcohol content. Thanks SLC and Det Payne. I am going to be apologizing to every nurse I know and work with for the next year because of you!

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Officer Friendly got his feelers hurt...

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Since the accident involved a fatality, the victim (truck driver) would be required to submit to drug testing by DOT regulations. This is not in the purview of the local police unless the driver was suspected of DWI/DUI (where protocol was outlined by the nurse). Perhaps that's where the confusion began.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I would think that if this had happened anywhere else, the cop would have been pulled off of the street and been put on a desk answering the phone. Unbelievable!!

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Do LEOs even have authority EVER to force a medical professional to perform a procedure?

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of callibird
posted Hide Post
Maybe someone should have checked that officer's BAC.

But I, being poor, have only my dreams; I have spread my dreams under your feet; Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

Posts: 935 | Location: Simpsonville, SC | Registered: August 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
And none of his fellow officers knew he had a tendency to be "badge heavy?" Roll Eyes

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I wonder if the City Atty is in damage control mode now.

To gw3971. Thank you for your work. I have a family member who works in the EMT/ER/paramedic/ambulance field, works closely with law enforcement. Things can really get bizarre at times.

And hopefully a year from now I will move out of CA and back to the US Smile (ie, somewhere along the Wasatch Front).

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
Do LEOs even have authority EVER to force a medical professional to perform a procedure?

Warrant or if under arrest for DUI/DWI.

Posts: 7017 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
Since the accident involved a fatality, the victim (truck driver) would be required to submit to drug testing by DOT regulations. This is not in the purview of the local police unless the driver was suspected of DWI/DUI (where protocol was outlined by the nurse). Perhaps that's where the confusion began.

I don't think there was any confusion after listening to what the Lt told the nurse when she was in the police car. I had the impression they (police) knew they were out of bounds and still wanted to proceed.

Posts: 7017 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

They may be able to compel a person to submit, not sure they can order a practitioner to perform the procedure.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:

No. We have agreements with hospitals to do them if we ask and under certain circumstances as were out lined by the nurse. In general we have the fire department guys take blood since we don't want the doctors and nurses have to be part of the chain of custody and have to show up for court on these cases. And because we like them.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MNSIG:
quote:
quote:

They may be able to compel a person to submit, not sure they can order a practitioner to perform the procedure.

That's what I'm getting at. Seems like a practitioner should be able to refuse. Not that I'm generally in favor of that, but it seems a weird feature of law if a LEO can force a practitioner, say at a privately owned hospital, to do a procedure against their will.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post