SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Salt Lake PD puts on duty ED Charge Nurse in handcuffs
Page 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Salt Lake PD puts on duty ED Charge Nurse in handcuffs Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Why is that relevant? When he put the cuffs on this nurse, did he cop a feel? One thing has nothing to do with the other.

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
Payne (the main idiot) has a documented sexual harassment disciplinary reprimand in his file from 4 years ago. That is relevant.

--------------------------------

So what? A disciplinary reprimand? In the very liberal SLC police culture that could mean he told a sexual joke and someone took offense to it. It means nothing.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I don't understand the need to try to dredge up dirt on these guys. Everything- everything- one needs to know about this incident is contained in the accident report and in the video recording in the ER.

Posts: 107558 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:

So what? A disciplinary reprimand? It means nothing.

I noticed this buried within an article speaking about Payne's past history:

"...Payne also has had several commendation and awards during his career. A records request resulted in 28 letters of commendation and appreciation for him from Salt Lake police and other agencies"

When speaking of pensions, forced retirements, and such, commendations should be considered, too. Two reprimands and 28 commendations over 20 years seems a good ratio.

see

https://www.deseretnews.com/ar...iplined-in-past.html

I agree with what Para is saying. I'm not defending what he did that day. I mention this because people have been saying "take his pension away."

No doubt he messed up big time on the day of the video, but twenty years of working is like 5200 work days, give or take. To take away something earned over that time, in that type of job, isn't something I feel comfortable with.

My $0.02.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
To take away something earned over that time, in that type of job, isn't something I feel comfortable with.

My $0.02.

From what I saw in the video, just toss him in jail for assault and kidnapping. The pension should be the least of his worries.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10921 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
The two of them need a good kick in the rump, regardless.

However, it was stated several pages back (top of page 14) that according to the rumor mill in SLCPD these two clowns ran the decision all the way up the chain before acting. If so, they were still idiots, but theirs shouldn't be the only heads rolling...

Posts: 6917 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
To take away something earned over that time, in that type of job, isn't something I feel comfortable with.

My $0.02.

From what I saw in the video, just toss him in jail for assault and kidnapping. The pension should be the least of his worries.

Assault is unlikely as it requires intent to cause physical injury. Kidnapping requires an illegal detention for a "substantial" amount of time and twenty minutes will not cut it. It had better not as the Same D.A. refused to file kidnapping charges in a case i handled on a man who kidnapped his estranged wife from her work and detained her for eight hours while tied to a chair.

Since the D.A. asked the feds to take over the case I'm betting charges will not be filed on the local level.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Honest question: If I, a private citizen, were to tie her up and put her in a car against her will for 20 minutes because she wouldn't perform an illegal act for me, what would I likely be charged with?

That's the minimum the cop should get. He is on tape admitting that he KNEW he was out-of-bounds. If you believe in those in power being held to a higher standard, he should get charged with some sort of abuse of authority as well. That's my 2¢.

As to his pension, I'm reminded of the bridgebuilder and the sheep. The officer acknowledges that this is a pattern of behavior (condoned by SLCPD until it went viral).

Posts: 516 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Since the D.A. asked the feds to take over the case I'm betting charges will not be filed on the local level.

I'm not an attorney, so I could be wrong, but I find it hard to believe Federal charges will be filed. This seems to me to be something that will be handled with a civil settlement from the Hospital and the City.

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Herknav:
Honest question: If I, a private citizen, were to tie her up and put her in a car against her will for 20 minutes because she wouldn't perform an illegal act for me, what would I likely be charged with?

That's the minimum the cop should get. He is on tape admitting that he KNEW he was out-of-bounds. If you believe in those in power being held to a higher standard, he should get charged with some sort of abuse of authority as well. That's my 2¢.

As to his pension, I'm reminded of the bridgebuilder and the sheep. The officer acknowledges that this is a pattern of behavior (condoned by SLCPD until it went viral).

76-5-304 Unlawful detention and unlawful detention of a minor. (1) An actor commits unlawful detention if the actor intentionally or knowingly, without authority of law, and against the will of the victim, detains or restrains the victim under circumstances not constituting a violation of: (a) kidnapping, Section 76-5-301; (b) child kidnapping, Section 76-5-301.1; or (c) aggravated kidnapping, Section 76-5-302. (2) An actor commits unlawful detention of a minor if the actor intentionally or knowingly, without authority of law, and against the will of the victim, coerces or exerts influence over the victim with the intent to cause the victim to remain with the actor for an unreasonable period of time under the circumstances, and: (a) the act is under circumstances not constituting a violation of: (i) kidnapping, Section 76-5-301; (ii) child kidnapping, Section 76-5-301.1; or (iii) aggravated kidnapping, Section 76-5-302; and (b) the actor is at least four or more years older than the victim. (3) As used in this section, acting "against the will of the victim" includes acting without the consent of the legal guardian or custodian of a victim who is: (a) a mentally incompetent person; or (b) a minor who is 14 or 15 years of age. (4) Unlawful detention is a class B misdemeanor.

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I'm not an attorney, so I could be wrong, but I find it hard to believe Federal charges will be filed. This seems to me to be something that will be handled with a civil settlement from the Hospital and the City.

I agree.

Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:

Assault is unlikely as it requires intent to cause physical injury. Kidnapping requires an illegal detention for a "substantial" amount of time and twenty minutes will not cut it. .

The laws there must be different. Once she said "No!" as she clearly did, his continuing to manhandle her would be harassment / assault. Unless it's a real arrest, which brings us back to the original debate.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10921 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:

Assault is unlikely as it requires intent to cause physical injury. Kidnapping requires an illegal detention for a "substantial" amount of time and twenty minutes will not cut it. .

The laws there must be different. Once she said "No!" as she clearly did, his continuing to manhandle her would be harassment / assault. Unless it's a real arrest, which brings us back to the original debate.

I will leave it up to the lawyers to argue about what the word injury means. They can argue that shit for weeks on end.

I wouldn't be surprised if the SLCO D.A. files something as he has tried to do against officers on several occasions. Our D.A. is an Asian indian democrat who hates cops. He was elected by nothing more than white guilt when somebody in the former D.A.'s office disparaged his Indian name. He is the same Attorney who failed to file charges in the susan Powell homicide because he didn't believe he could file charges without a corpse. That all changed when the suspect in the case, Susan's Husband, moved out of state and eventually beat their kids to death with a hammer. Our D.A. was called out by the local D.A. where the child homicides occurred who mentioned he would have filed charges in the Susan Powell matter years ago.

Ths D.A. spent his whole life prosecuting Misdemeanor crimes for SLC. First thing he did when he was elected was open up every officer involved shooting that had occurred under his predecessor. He filed charges against one officer and was laughed at by the judge in the preliminary hearing as the judge dismissed the case.

This D.A. with his infinite wisdom decided that he would eliminate all of the special units in his office. No more special victims unit(sexual assault), gang, Domestic violence prosecution teams. He believed that any attorney can prosecute any crime. He took lawyers who did nothing but contract fraud and had them prosecuting murders and sexaul assault. We lost a lot of sex crimes cases because of his stupidity. It took years of LEO complaints and an upcoming election to get him to reverse his course and bring back the special units.

Make no bones about it our D.A. might as well be Marilyn Mosby. As I said before SLC is a shit show and guessing what our weasel D.A. will do is just a wild ass guess. The only thing I know for sure is what ever Sim Gill does or doesn't do it will likely be the wrong decision.

Picture of Keystoner
posted Hide Post
The focus seems to be on Paine. I'm more disgusted with Lt. Tracy. Talk about power tending to corrupt.

Year V

Posts: 2631 | Registered: November 05, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
Don't forget those above him and listen carefully to what the chief does not say in his first interview with the mayor. Will be interesting where it all stops!

Posts: 2401 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trebor44
posted Hide Post
Here's an update on the truck driver:
http://idahonews.com/news/loca...in-crash-passes-away

--------------------------------

On the inside looking out, but not to the west, it's the PRK and its minions!

Posts: 624 | Location: Idaho, west of Beaver Dicks Ferry | Registered: August 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Rest in Peace Mr. Gray.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
sad news on Mr. Gray

RIP

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53176 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Author,
cowboy,
friend to all
posted Hide Post
RIP Mr Gray and my condolences to his family and friends.

Posts: 2401 | Location: Riverton Wyoming | Registered: June 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fuimus
posted Hide Post
The asshole has been fired.

Utah officer fired after nurse's arrest caught on video
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/...r-AAtgVA3?li=BBnb7Kz

Posts: 5369 | Location: Ypsilanti Township | Registered: January 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post