SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Salt Lake PD puts on duty ED Charge Nurse in handcuffs
Page 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 23
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Salt Lake PD puts on duty ED Charge Nurse in handcuffs Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
and that she was not read her miranda rights at any time

Sorry, but that has nothing to do with this situation whatsoever.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
Let's look at this:

The cop involved wasn't one of the pursuit officers. Those officers worked for a different agency. He was there because the other agency asked him to get them blood. Thus the cop had no personal knowledge about the guy strapped to the gurney, so he couldn't swear out a warrant. This cop knows NOTHING about the guy on the gurney other than what another officer from another agency has told him. Warrants must be based on knowledge. He has none. He can't even be sure that the guy on the gurney is the guy who was in the truck because he wasn't there. He's just taking someone else's word for it. This is not how criminal law works in this country. The warrant requirement is serious business and we condone its erosion at out peril.

Not related to the facts in this case, but to clarify: A law enforcement officer can obtain a warrant based on information from another officer(s). They don't have to be physically present or personally observe the information that led to probable cause, if another officer gives them information, they can use it to get a warrant, "Taking someone else's word for it". Happens all the time.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ffemt44:
I will reiterate that the officer was an ass of epic proportions. That being said, I drive trucks on occasion for my employer and my company has a written agreement with state PD in all 50 states that any driver involved in an accident is to be issued a blood draw as soon as practicable to comply with DOT regulations.
The blood draw is the companies responsibility, law enforcement may be tasked with the job of obtaining the sample with permission from the company. This mans company may have had some such agreement that has not been brought to light as of yet. That being said the arrest was completely unjustified and the officers treatment of the nurse was borderline criminal.

Having watched the video and hearing what was said in it, what point are you trying to make? If the cop had any authority to get a blood draw in the scenario you try to paint, why didn't he mention it? How does your company give permission to the police to take your blood? Does your company own your body so they can give permission to police to draw your bodily fluids while you are unconscious?

Posts: 3375 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Not related to the facts in this case, but to clarify: A law enforcement officer can obtain a warrant based on information from another officer(s). They don't have to be physically present or personally observe the information that led to probable cause, if another officer gives them information, they can use it to get a warrant, "Taking someone else's word for it". Happens all the time.

Thanks Chongo. You are correct. The officer applying for the warrant must swear to knowledge of the facts, but that officer can rely on the word of other officers to establish that knowledge. The officer applying for the warrant must have a reasonable belief in the truth of the facts and the reliability of the third party giving him or her the facts. Another officer, even from a different agency, would presumably be "reliable" information.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
quote:
I will reiterate that the officer was an ass of epic proportions. That being said, I drive trucks on occasion for my employer and my company has a written agreement with state PD in all 50 states that any driver involved in an accident is to be issued a blood draw as soon as practicable to comply with DOT regulations.
The blood draw is the companies responsibility, law enforcement may be tasked with the job of obtaining the sample with permission from the company. This mans company may have had some such agreement that has not been brought to light as of yet. That being said the arrest was completely unjustified and the officers treatment of the nurse was borderline criminal.

Having watched the video and hearing what was said in it, what point are you trying to make? If the cop had any authority to get a blood draw in the scenario you try to paint, why didn't he mention it? How does your company give permission to the police to take your blood? Does your company own your body so they can give permission to police to draw your bodily fluids while you are unconscious?

Yeah, just because a company asks the police to perform an alcohol or drug test on their employee doesn't mean an officer can bully or force that employee to do so.

But regardless, that just doesnt seem to be relevant here. I mean really, the DOT regs just don't seem to have any bearing in this situation whatsoever.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
the DOT regs just don't seem to have any bearing in this situation whatsoever.

They don't. If it were the state police I may see it differently, as they are the ones who enforce the DOT regulations within the state.

I don't know how it would work in this scenario, but alcohol testing is required within 2 hours, and drug testing within 30 something hours of the event. Seems as if this guy was unconscious during that period so I don't know how he could consent on his own and be compliant with the regulations. I can only assume the hospital would have run these tests already on their own and provided the results either by consent or subpoena/warrant as requested.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

They don't. If it were the state police I may see it differently, as they are the ones who enforce the DOT regulations within the state.

I don't know how it would work in this scenario, but alcohol testing is required within 2 hours, and drug testing within 30 something hours of the event. Seems as if this guy was unconscious during that period so I don't know how he could consent on his own and be compliant with the regulations. I can only assume the hospital would have run these tests already on their own and provided the results either by consent or subpoena/warrant as requested.

It was the Utah highway patrol who was chasing the suspect in this case. This was the state agency doing the accident investigation. The crash was 60+ miles away from the hospital in SLC. So they asked an agency(SLCPD) to do the hospital work? I'm not sure why the Highway patrol would ask SLCPD to do the investigation as there are plenty of troopers in SL county who are well trained in the commercial truck examinations. The troopers could have easily done this job by using troopers from SL county or they could have sent one from Davis or Utah county. I still haven't found out why they bothered to call SLPD for assistance? I'm hoping to run into some troopers to ask them tomorrow.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:

It was the Utah highway patrol who was chasing the suspect in this case. This was the state agency doing the accident investigation. The crash was 60+ miles away from the hospital in SLC. So they asked an agency(SLCPD) to do the hospital work? I'm not sure why the Highway patrol would ask SLCPD to do the investigation as there are plenty of troopers in SL county who are well trained in the commercial truck examinations. The troopers could have easily done this job by using troopers from SL county or they could have sent one from Davis or Utah county. I still haven't found out why they bothered to call SLPD for assistance? I'm hoping to run into some troopers to ask them tomorrow.

They might not ask SLPD to do it next time.

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
quote:
alcohol testing is required within 2 hours, and drug testing within 30 something hours of the event.

Anyone that watches that video and thinks "we need to get that truck drivers blood to determine if he was impaired" is a fucking idiot. I don't care what sort of check box on the DOT accident form says. They are as much, or more, of an idiot than the officer. X the fucking box and say "due to witnessed accident circumstances, CDL drivers blood not required".

And on the hospital, why is the nurse the one dealing with all this? The administrator (or whoever it was) should have got the F off the cell phone, been in the ER with the form and the one saying "it is not the nurse telling you no, it is the agreed hospital/LE policies" (that would be me the administrator saying no) and then called 911 and informed them there are some people in the ER disrupting emergency operations and they need to be told to leave or someone sent to have them removed.

Payne and Tracy (the supv correct?) should both be on suspension. And all these agencies need to get together and get a clue on what can be done when (I know asking a lot).

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I think the best part of this debacle is the fact it happened a month ago.

The police involved must have thought it blew over.

Then out of the blue BBBBOOOOOOOMMMM!

On Thursday, so there was a weekday for the explosion to reach full effect, and a three-day weekend for them to contemplate just how badly they blew it and how terrible the consequences might be (e.g., criminal investigation).

Seeing bad karma befall people who deserve it makes me smile.

Maybe someone in his inner circle will put an fork into Kim Jong Dong.

I'd smile all week.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31430 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
As she embraces her new founded social media fame more and more, my sympathies for this nurse become less and less....

I thought that the screams were a bit much, especially knowing this was being videoed and so many witnesses around.

Utah nurse arrested by a cop for doing her job speaks out

- Wubbels said she released video as a 'trigger' to spur authorities to act
- She said cops need to police themselves if they're going to regain public trust
- And she claims a lawsuit could be on the cards after the 'traumatic experience

That, she said, is why she only released the footage this week.
'It took me a while to understand that I was in a traumatic experience a <find the right lawyer >and I needed a moment to give my emotions a chance to rest ,' <see how much I could get > she said.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
quote:
alcohol testing is required within 2 hours, and drug testing within 30 something hours of the event.

Anyone that watches that video and thinks "we need to get that truck drivers blood to determine if he was impaired" is a fucking idiot. I don't care what sort of check box on the DOT accident form says. They are as much, or more, of an idiot than the officer. X the fucking box and say "due to witnessed accident circumstances, CDL drivers blood not required".

And on the hospital, why is the nurse the one dealing with all this? The administrator (or whoever it was) should have got the F off the cell phone, been in the ER with the form and the one saying "it is not the nurse telling you no, it is the agreed hospital/LE policies" (that would be me the administrator saying no) and then called 911 and informed them there are some people in the ER disrupting emergency operations and they need to be told to leave or someone sent to have them removed.

Payne and Tracy (the supv correct?) should both be on suspension. And all these agencies need to get together and get a clue on what can be done when (I know asking a lot).

^^^
The DOT test is just a formality in this case.
This was just a cop with extremely poor judgement and hopefully this will bring it out before he hurts somebody.

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
As she embraces her new founded social media fame more and more, my sympathies for this nurse become less and less....

Not for me. She waited a month, and saw that the local authorities were doing nothing. So she dropped a bomb on them. I would have done the same. I would have given them the chance to get it right on their own. Instead, they took the opportunity to try to sweep this mess under the rug and hope it went away.

She put a stop to that, and I say good for her. I don't want an officer with that kind of a short fuse carrying a gun and interacting with me. When his department didn't do anything about it, she lit them up.

Fuck them. She should be compensated for this bullshit.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:

'It took me a while to understand that I was in a traumatic experience a <find the right lawyer >and I needed a moment to give my emotions a chance to rest ,' <see how much I could get > she said.

So what IF she's looking for a big payout? Who friggin' cares?

She was victimized by a jack boot thug cop. She deserves every penny she can get.

And I completely believe it may have taken awhile to realize the full extent of the ordeal she underwent. Many people blindly trust the police to do the right thing. After the trauma she was subjected to, it's easy for me to see she would need time to process it (I've experienced similar abuse at the hands of abusive authority figures).

I hope she takes them to the cleaners.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:

I thought that the screams were a bit much, especially knowing this was being videoed and so many witnesses around.

Utah nurse arrested by a cop for doing her job speaks out

- Wubbels said she released video as a 'trigger' to spur authorities to act
- She said cops need to police themselves if they're going to regain public trust
- And she claims a lawsuit could be on the cards after the 'traumatic experience

I assure you, if I am ever illegally arrested, or my rights are otherwise violated, by my agency or any other, I expect to get a payout that will lead to an early retirement.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
She gave them PLENTY of time to handle their violent "detective" and his criminal supervisor.

She is absolutely entitled to her gloating and future jackpot payout.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34108 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
... I drive trucks on occasion for my employer and my company has a written agreement with state PD in all 50 states that any driver involved in an accident is to be issued a blood draw as soon as practicable to comply with DOT regulations.
The blood draw is the companies responsibility, law enforcement may be tasked with the job of obtaining the sample with permission from the company. This mans company may have had some such agreement that has not been brought to light as of yet...

That agreement with the State Police agencies means absolutely nothing. Its not a police depts. responsibility to obtain the blood, transport it, store it, etc. Why would any police dept. want to get involved. Like others have said its a DOT regulation not a criminal proceeding. Even with this agreement how do you take into consideration the areas that the state police agencies do not cover? In Allegheny County PA there are over 100+ individual police depts.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
I assure you, if I am ever illegally arrested, or my rights are otherwise violated, by my agency or any other, I expect to get a payout that will lead to an early retirement.

Yep the cop was wrong.
Yep the nurse should get paid.

My problem is with the carefully crafted lawyer phrases. Just bugs me I guess.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12320 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
all of this could have been avoided and handled professionally by doing one of two things:

1. get a warrant

2. get a subpoena at a later time for the hospital records...

now this guy makes the rest of cops look like assholes and it makes their jobs harder

douche

No, all the cops in the video and everybody on the SLCPD who let(s) him act like this unchecked made THEMSELVES look like assholes.

One of my local cops (whom I have yet to meet IRL) has already weighed in on this thread. He's welcome at my campfire any time.

Posts: 516 | Registered: October 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I most often give cops the benefit of the doubt. In this case, after all this time has passed and nothing done about the douche bag that arrested the nurse, it is clear that the police dept/admin in SLC have been trying to slow roll the whole shit circus.

The nurse gave them plenty of time to take appropriate action. THEY DIDN'T.

If nothing else, her legal actions might, I say might, actually get something fixed in the SLPD.

Probably no where near all that needs to be done, but that is how incompetent, or corrupt, organizations work.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post