SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Salt Lake PD puts on duty ED Charge Nurse in handcuffs
Page 1 2 3 4 ... 23
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Salt Lake PD puts on duty ED Charge Nurse in handcuffs Login/Join 
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted
'Stop! I’ve done nothing wrong': Nurse shares police video of 'crazy' arrest by S.L. officer

Video from newscast
A SLC cop, (identified as a Detective), arrests an on duty Nurse who wouldn't provide an unconscious patients blood sample to him. The patient was the *victim* in the crash and not under suspicion of any crime.

The Nurse printed out and is showing him the policy that SLC PD agreed to and is on speakerphone with an administrator. Apparently this guy felt that following policy of getting an electronic warrant, consent from the patient or having the patient under arrest was not convenient at the moment.

Unfreakingbelievable.
She hasn't filed any claim yet but I hope she REAMS this badge heavy asshole.

'Nuther longer vid here

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Yep, it's an issue. The recent Arizona law has caused quite a bit of confusion as well. While we used to make blood draws for PD or DPS, we can no longer do that.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11749 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quirky Lurker
posted Hide Post
Assuming state law does not require her to comply with the officer's request, and it does not appear so from the article, he is toast civilly as are the officers that stood by and failed to intervene. If state law does require her to comply, then there is nothing to see here other than a badge heavy asshole using extremely poor judgment.

Posts: 868 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Wow! F#@&ing asshole.

Q

Posts: 26200 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The officer may want to avoid any potential illness or injuries that would land him as a patient in the ER. Nurses have ways of settling scores. Eek

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Those type of things drive Chiefs and Sheriffs absolutely insane.

She tried showing him under what circumstances they could provide blood, none of the criteria was met. At that point, he should have applied for a warrant or left.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ulsterman,

Posts: 7010 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
It just occurred to me, where is the ED/ER doc in all of this? He/she is the one giving/writing orders. Nurses can't do anything without doctor's orders, whether verbal or written. If that asshole was going to arrest someone, it should have been the doctor, right?

This reminded me of a case when I used to work ER several years ago. A patient involved in a crash was suspected of DUI. Cop wanted us to do blood draw for BAC level. I told the nurse nope. No court order, no go. Sorry, but I was not going to assault the patient.

Q

Posts: 26200 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Douchebag cop! Wow.

Good for that nurse for standing up for what she knew was right.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30294 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
It just occurred to me, where is the ED/ER doc in all of this? He/she is the one giving/writing orders. Nurses can't do anything without doctor's orders, whether verbal or written. If that asshole was going to arrest someone, it should have been the doctor, right?

This reminded me of a case when I used to work ER several years ago. A patient involved in a crash was suspected of DUI. Cop wanted us to do blood draw for BAC level. I told the nurse nope. No court order, no go. Sorry, but I was not going to assault the patient.

Good point. If the doc had been involved, I doubt the officer would have escalated to that point.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ulsterman,

Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
When you treat the good guys like they are the bad guys, it's time to leave the job.

He needs a lesson in humility like losing his job, VERY publicly and forfeiting his retirement as restitution to his VICTIM.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34079 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
That guy deserves a punch square to the nuts. Since that is likely not a remedy allowed from IA. Fire his ass and reprimand the other cop lecturing her while she was under arrest.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20754 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Douchebag Jeff Payne claims he was advised by Lieutenant James Tracy, the watch commander on duty that night, to arrest Wubbels for interfering with a police investigation if she refused to give him the sample.

All because he thought implied consent gave him the authority to collect a blood sample without a warrant from someone unable to provide consent who was not under arrest.

Sorry Douchebag, that applies only when the patient cannot give consent and the care is needed to save the patient's life. Evidentiary blood sample don't fall under implied consent.

And what is beyond the pale is despite there being video of Douchebag's douchebaggery, he is still working as a cop and in a second job, an ambulance driver.

She needs to sue every one of the police officers involved individually for millions of dollars.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31373 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Don't be so quick to judge, we haven't seen what SHE did leading up to that video! /sarcasm

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34079 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonder if there is a history with the police and this hospital?

This seems to have accelerated out of control very quickly.

The officer "explaining" it to the nurse when she was in the police car was giving out some very bad information that could get a lot of people in trouble.

Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I saw this on our local news, unbelievable! She
was an Olympic athlete, also, this will get a lot of press. They phrased the cop's situation like this "He's still on duty but can't ask for blood samples". Sounded that stupid.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3387 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
So idiot cop believes that evidence illegally obtained would help his case how?

She's lucky he didn't pull the resisting arrest or feared for his safety card and end up beating the shit out of her or shooting her.

Posts: 13044 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Flyboyrv6
posted Hide Post
The root cause is poor training on the part of the officers... the nurse knew the law and supreme court decision and why didn't the officers?

Posts: 828 | Registered: January 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
The problem is thuggish, bullying, "respect my authoritie" behavior by the this police officer. Jerk should be forced to publicly apologize to that nurse, and that's just a start.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30294 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
WTF - so if you don't break the law for us, we are going to arrest you. What a fucked up situation.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, any settlement will be paid by the taxpayers and not this douche.

This needs to change.

Posts: 2927 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post