SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are you a pistol guy or a rifle guy?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are you a pistol guy or a rifle guy? Login/Join 
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted
Or both? I am a pistol guy. I have rifles including AR’s, 9mm Carbines, etc... even have a few shotguns. I can shoot them very well I just don’t really enjoy it. They rarely make it to the range. I love shooting pistols. Rifles not so much. When I do take them range I will lose interest quick. Before you know it the AR is back in the bag and I’m shooting a pistol at the hundred yard target/plate.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Yes.

I love shooting .22 rifles. I like centerfires too, but my cheap nature and the price of ammo limits that and tends to cut into the fun.

Used to do a lot of pistol/revolver shooting. Not terribly competitive and positively detest standing around waiting for my "turn" so most of my shooting is gravel pit plinking with some concentration on self defense skills using B27 targets at 10-15 yards. I reload and have a crapload of .38/.357, 9mm and .45ACP ammo on hand.

But I haven't shot ANYTHING in a long while. I need to remedy that.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I was working I shot 98% handguns, rifles just took up too much of my time, plus I thought rifles were boring. When I retired I started building my own rifles.

Building rifles and developing my own loads (I’m a long time reloader) became an addiction, especially once I got on a range that went out to 500 yards.

Currently I would classify myself as 65% rifles and 35% handguns.

Posts: 798 | Location: Katy, TX | Registered: January 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
It is time that I admit it. I am bi-

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bobandmikako
posted Hide Post
Pistol for sure. I have several rifles but for every 10 range trips, 9 of them will be pistols only. When I was younger, it was the opposite. I almost only shot rifles.

十人十色

Posts: 2103 | Location: Semmes, Alabama | Registered: June 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
When I go I take at least two rifles and two pistols.
Do this in pairs like ,629's 2 M1's or two A/R's
Those are my favorites but other calibers get thrown also.

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

I did at one time own four, but don't have any right now. I find it more of a challenge to hit the "dot torture" targets with my pistols at five yards than a target with a rifle at longer distances. Other factors: I no longer have a safe that can accommodate long guns, and I primarily shoot at an indoor range, whose 25 yards max distance isn't much of a challenge for a rifle. The long-running "Today I cleaned my rifle" thread has made me think I should buy at least an entry-level AR-style rifle, but I'm not in a hurry. Perhaps in the long term. The threat, or potential threat, discussed in that thread is extremely low here. I'm much more concerned about street crime, specifically robberies.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
Despite efforts to diversify interests pistols continue to be my main range time focus

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9854 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pistols, then rifles, now shotguns.

Awake not woke

Posts: 567 | Location: Citrus Springs, Fl. | Registered: January 02, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Handguns for me.

I never owned a rifle until recently. Well, it's not really a rifle yet, it's a do-it-yourself collection of AR-15 parts, most of which were given to me by generous SIGforum members.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lucky to be Irish
posted Hide Post
Definitely a pistol guy. My interest in shooting is generally concealed carry/self defense. I got the bug when Ohio passed the concealed carry law in 2004, and I'm lucky enough to have a great school, TDI, within a reasonably short drive. Great classes and great instructors in a safe environment.

So I'm relatively new to shooting, with the exception of the eight weeks in basic training a few years ago (1971 Big Grin ) and with my MOS, no pistol training at all. I own an AR just for fun, don't shoot it very often, just bought it because it reminded me of training with the M16A1.

Posts: 1770 | Location: Mason, OH | Registered: October 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
I love both. But with limited time, I keep choosing to go to an indoor range with targets that are retrieved electronically rather than to the outdoor range where I must walk the 50 or 100 yards to get my target, and, if there are other shooters, as there usually are, wait until we are ready to all go downrange together.

Also, the indoor range allows me to shoot from the draw, which would be an advantage of the outdoor range. Going once or twice a week, 150-200 rounds each visit, I have really improved my ability to draw, get on target fast, and fire three half-second split rounds-- on target at 10 yards. ("On target" meaning within a baseball sized bullseye.) The targets are also programmable to change distance and turn sideways ("no shoot") in unpredictable patterns from 3 to 20 yards.

I probably need more practice time with rifles, but it's hard to resist the lure of the indoor range.

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11108 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I love both, have both, but I tend to shoot my rifles more.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Since moving back downstate to a downriver suburb of Detroit three years ago, pistols get the nod anymore. I do not enjoy shooting long guns indoors at 25 or 50 yards much.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pistol. I've only shot a rifle a couple of times, a .22 when I was a kid. At some point I'll probably get one, maybe even a shotgun (gasp!), but I'll probably still be primarily a pistol guy.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’m a bit of everything, pistols, rifles, shotguns, then about 5 muzzle-loaders. Within each category I have a varied assortment, after all, one needs the correct tool for the job.

Posts: 6159 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Handgun. I like both pistols and revolvers. I have some long guns but seldom shoot them.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Love the one your with. 'do-do do do'

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Surfer
posted Hide Post
It’s about 50-50 for me, I really enjoy both. I have been hunting more with my 10mm Glock. I killed two deer with it this season and one with AR-10.

Posts: 1639 | Location: South East Mo. | Registered: March 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
To me, it really depends where I live. For about 6 years I lived in an area (Norfolk VA) that had few rifle ranges around, but lots of pistol ranges. So while I had rifles, I was a pistol guy.

Now I live where I can drive to an outdoor range and be shooting within 15 minutes, pistol or rifle.

So I'd say I'm more of a rifle guy now, although I do a good bit of pistol shooting still. Probably 65 / 35, rifle to pistol.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post