SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm glad when I shoot bottom feeders they are old style Sigs made of metal
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm glad when I shoot bottom feeders they are old style Sigs made of metal Login/Join 
posted
I was running a young man (10 years old) through an IDPA stage last weekend,and the gun he was using a 9mm M&P had a kaboom.

Luckily he was shooting weak hand and the gun blew out the bottom and right side

Darn plastic guns work fine until they don't

I have seen the results of plastic gun / ammo failures multiple times, and it's not pretty

Most Sig stories end with wow scared the heck out of me,blew the mag out of the gun, new mag and its good to go

My 229 / 220 / 226 / 228 has

To Hell and Back Reliability and I believe in it

RC

Posts: 1941 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Scary shit, especially for a ten year old. Hope he wasn't too traumatized.

Anyone I know?

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38647 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Yet another reason why we need the return of the 9mm 220?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:

Anyone I know?

Maybe
we were shooting in New Buffalo
The boy and his Dad shoot there frequently
I cant give out his name, he was pretty cool with everything

Do you ever shoot IDPA any more?

RC

Posts: 1941 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RC:
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:

Anyone I know?

Maybe
we were shooting in New Buffalo
The boy and his Dad shoot there frequently
I cant give out his name, he was pretty cool with everything

Do you ever shoot IDPA any more?

Well, I'm sure I know the Dad. Good that it ended as well as can be expected.

It's been a while I'm afraid. Work schedule gets in the way as New Buffalo is the only place I'd want to go....maybe Bend and Berrian also, but further to drive. When my schedule changes I'll try to make it more regularly.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38647 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Armed and Gregarious
Picture of DMF
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RC:
I was running a young man (10 years old) through an IDPA stage last weekend,and the gun he was using a 9mm M&P had a kaboom.

Luckily he was shooting weak hand and the gun blew out the bottom and right side

See the big holes in the sides of the frame of this Classic P-series SIG?

Anything that would blow through the side of polymer framed grip, would also blow through those holes, and the plastic, wood, or rubber grip panels over those holes.

Roll Eyes

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman

Posts: 12591 | Location: Nomad | Registered: January 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^ yeah. I like DA/SA P-series guns the most. But to say that somehow they are safer when a gun blows up is really humorous. Worst I ever saw was a 1911. Most of the Glocks I have witnessed did a fraction of the damage.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Just curious, factory or reloads?

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
So a plastic gun had a kaboom - in the hand of a child no less - and nobody was hurt . . .

. . . but metal guns are so much better because they're metal.

Uuuuhhh...okay?

I don't do competitions, and I've not been to a lot of classes, so in 30 some odd years of shooting I've seen this condition in person only twice.

Both times were out of spec hand loads.

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
A gun can have a catastrophic failure no matter what it is made of.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
This is precisely why I don't reload. If I'm going to have an ammo related kaboom and lose a finger or two I want someone else to be to blame Big Grin

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:
This is precisely why I don't reload. If I'm going to have an ammo related kaboom and lose a finger or two I want someone else to be to blame Big Grin

Amen.

Much rather be pissed at CCI than myself.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post

Posts: 8146 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I have a P226 that was made in a special run of unobtainium. It is completely impervious to all destructive forces. I sometimes use it to hammer nails, breakup concrete, and as a boat anchor.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
If I still had it, and the ability to take decent pictures, I'd show you a Ruger Super Blackhawk that done blowed up real good. It split the cylinder in half, bent up and broke off at one end the frame top strap, and cracked the frame in half at the barrel threads. And yes, it was a faulty reload, a commonality to these blowups.

Posts: 27928 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you reload, be safe. It's pretty easy to follow directions. I've had more malfunctions with commercial ammo than reloads, and I'm in the process of negotiating with a commercial producer over malfunctions right now.

I have had several KA-BOOM situations. I had a P-38 sight assembly (parts of it, anyway) removed from my forehead and walnut grip pieces removed from both hands and face. I had a Ruger Security Six with 5 slugs stacked up in the barrel.

The point is, use safety equipment. Doesn't matter what you are shooting, there's always a chance of malfunction.

Posts: 17139 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The boy was shooting reloads

Which I initially suspect as the problem

And yes I know all brands and styles of guns have had some dramatic things happen.

I just feel more comfortable with my older Sigs

RC

Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
Yet another reason why we need the return of the 9mm 220?

I thought the pressure was actually greater on the 9mm than the .45. Maybe I've been mistaken???

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10905 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I reload 9mm with a bulky powder that is impossible to double charge. What scares me is firing oob due to a high primer ignition with the breech not locked is bad no matter the material of the pistol.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post