SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Weird call. Scam?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weird call. Scam? Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Yesterday, our phone rang. I saw it was a 011xxxxxxxxxxxx number, and was not going to answer it, but my wife did answer it.

A voice said, “Martine?” to which she said yes. It was about carpeting, or roof tiles etc and she hung up without engaging in conversation.

I suspect it was a scam, of course.

What should I do to neutralize whatever hijinks are planned for her, assuming it is a scam.

The country code comes out to Nepal.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Never say yes when a strange number calls. There have been recent reports of people editing the call to make it sound as if you have agreed to some purchase or service. Not 100% sure how the scam works but just to be safe I never say yes if I actually answer the call.

Q.

Is this Mr. Skins?

A.

Who is this?

Q.

This is XYZ with ABC Co. Is this Mr. Skins?

A.

I am sorry bad cell service, can you just send me an email?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
I answer with "What?" Most of the time I just let it right to voice mail. However my wife cannot just let a phone ring.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6060 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Never answer unknown numbers.

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Interesting email tonight from "Chase" telling me that a $4K payment had been made to Traci somebody. I could click this link to go to the receipt. Try a little harder guys. URL had a .pl extension. Don't think Chase is shipping out emails from Poland.

They're not so smart.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20303 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rduckwor:
Interesting email tonight from "Chase" telling me that a $4K payment had been made to Traci somebody. I could click this link to go to the receipt. Try a little harder guys. URL had a .pl extension. Don't think Chase is shipping out emails from Poland.

They're not so smart.

RMD

They're smarter than a lot of folks out there, those who fall for their scams. Wink

Q

Posts: 26205 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all those. What ought I do, now that the event has occurred?

It’s too late to not answer this call, or not respond “yes.”

I’ve had her notify her credit cards.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Precision Enthusiast
posted Hide Post
Not much you can do now except check your statements for unauthorized charges.

http://fortune.com/2017/03/28/yes-scam-phone-call/

Posts: 121 | Registered: August 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I do answer numbers not known unless from another country. I never say YES and if they ask me who this is, I respond with Who is this? Tell me who you are, where you're calling from and I will let you know if I want to continue talking to you and maybe you'll get my name, if you're not satisfied with that, you can suck it. How can I help you?

Posts: 1393 | Location: County 18, OH | Registered: April 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A very long time ago I was at my folks house and they weren't home. The phone rang and I answered. A guy started right into his sales pitch, and so I let him ramble for a bit. Then I interrupted and said, hey, look, I don't live here ok. I was robbing the place, the phone rang and I thought I'd answer it.

CZ P10C and HK VP9 SK - Go Bucks!

Posts: 54 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: April 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I knew about this one, and view incoming calls as a potential source of amusement but not displaying foreign numbers. I won’t give any verifying info to an incoming caller which drives medical callers nuts.

My wife thought it might be from her relatives, and picked it up. She won’t be doing that again.

JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
I've gotten a few scam calls from familiar area codes and numbers, making you more likely to pick up. For example, if your number is 866-455-3234, they call from +1(866)455-3234. Almost didnt catch the +1 which I assume means its coming from out of the country.

Posts: 3569 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by keeotee:
A very long time ago I was at my folks house and they weren't home. The phone rang and I answered. A guy started right into his sales pitch, and so I let him ramble for a bit. Then I interrupted and said, hey, look, I don't live here ok. I was robbing the place, the phone rang and I thought I'd answer it.

lol

When I was a young cop and thought I was funny, I would answer the phone when it would ring when we were searching houses/buildings, "_____ Police, how can I help you". It was always the alarm company, but I thought I was funny.

Now a days, when my phone rings and I don't know who it is, I answer in Spanish. That usually works.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We keep getting calls from Hewlett Packard and there's never anyone on the other end. When I call back, HP answers but claim it's not them making the calls. They say it some sort of hacking and the hackers are checking to see if the line is active ?

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
when my phone rings and I don't know who it is, I answer in Spanish.
Back in the 1980s AT&T owned a 25% interest in Olivetti, the company that manufactured much of the telephone equipment used in Italy. I was a software engineer at AT&T / Bell Labs, working in a department that was converting some of our AT&T equipment to meet Italian requirements.

My team included a group of visiting engineers from Italy who were in the U.S. to work with us on the transfer of technology. The day they arrived, my new office mate introduced himself: "My name Amadeo Tia. I study English tree month," he said proudly.

He and I decided that we would alternate days. One day would be English day in our two-man office, the next day would be Italian day.

I did not learn as much Italian as I wanted to, but due to his coaching, I am told that I have a very authentic sounding inflection when i do speak the little Italian that I know.

It works well with scammers and telemarketers. Especially when I ask them, in Italian-accented English, what they are wearing.

I think Amy is getting wise to me.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30546 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NK402:
We keep getting calls from Hewlett Packard and there's never anyone on the other end. When I call back, HP answers but claim it's not them making the calls. They say it some sort of hacking and the hackers are checking to see if the line is active ?

Yes, I could call you right now and make it look like I was calling from HP. Or your local police department, the White House, or any other number. It's easy and widely available technology that scammers use. It's called 'spoofing'.

Here's an easy to use spoofing solution that anyone can use:
https://www.spoofcard.com/

I always like to emphasize this...It's the number one best protection against scams:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
My standard answer, if I answer, is "who's calling".
I also have a complete credit freeze on all 3 bureaus that costs under $15 and lasts forever or until I unfreeze it. No monitoring required.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

Exactly what I do. If no message is left the number gets blocked.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Do not answer unfamiliar numbers.

If you do, you end up on scammers' lists of "live numbers." Then the frequency of the calls increases.

I was getting 2 to 6 scam calls a day on my mobile. I installed Trucaller and the frequency is dropping, but I still get one between 1000-1200 and another between 1400-1600 every damned day.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31382 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another current and common spoof - you get a call from a number that has the same area code and prefix of the number you are using (the last four digits are different).

The idea is that you're more likely to answer a call from a local number.

I got one of those "US Government" calls a couple of weeks ago. The user spoke with a heavy accent - I had to ask him to repeat the name of the department - he still used "US Government Department of xx (still couldn't understand him). As the call was coming in to me on a weekend, I HIGHLY suspected the call to be bogus - and stated it as such.

Posts: 2768 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post