SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Trailer Hitches
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trailer Hitches Login/Join 
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted
A while back, I just can't find it now, there was a discussion abut where to buy a hitch online. I'm looking to buy now and can't remember what company was recomended. Was it etrailer? The website doesn't look familiar to me. Thanks!

Hell, is other people! J-P S

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am a repeat customer at etrailer.com
Very satisfied.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I've bought 3 hitches from U-Haul over the years and I've been very happy with them. When I bought my Sorento I thought that I would do it myself, then I looked at how the electrical harness was hooked up and thought, nope, no way. U-Haul had it all done in half an hour.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
If you don't mind doing some work by yourself, etrailer is a good source. I purchased from them many times in the past.

If you need someone to do the installation, then U-Haul is a good place to go.

Posts: 1879 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
etrailer it is then. Any preference between the Draw-Tite brand and the Curt brand? Curt seems a little cheaper, but I don't know the name, Draw-Tite I've at least heard of. Thanks again.

ETA...I'll be doing the install myself.

Posts: 1140 | Location: St Simons Island, Georgia USA! | Registered: October 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Draw-Tite and Curt are both good brands. I've installed both. With luck (and it's likely), it's just a bolt-on installation, no new holes. The electrical will be the challenge.

In my experience, etrailer has good guides for the electrical. In a few cases, it plugged into connectors already present in the wiring harness - easy-peasy.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
Great, thanks for the feedback everyone!

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Another fan of etrailer here. Bought hitches for 2 vehicles and installed them myself. Their installation videos are top notch.

You didn't mention what vehicle but I would recommend getting the largest hitch you can which can handle the most tongue weight and towing weight.

I went with class III for our Kia Sportage.

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
Ecohitch from https://torkliftcentral.com/rving-and-towing/ecohitch

Torklift.

They also have great install videos.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4988 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fvyellowbird
posted Hide Post
Looks like Ecohitch doesn't make a hitch for my vehicle, a '05 Wrangler.

posted Hide Post
For both of my etrailer hitches I just picked the brand that looked the best and also read through the downloadable instructions to see which looked the most well-thought-through.
I can't even remember which brand it ended up being. They all look pretty similar and have similar prices.

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
I took off the hitch that came OEM on my Silverado. I put on a Curt hitch that weighed more because the steel was thicker and better made. I did it myself but I sure wish someone was home that could have helped out for even 5 minutes, it would have save me a couple of hours.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4011 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by steve495:
Ecohitch from https://torkliftcentral.com/rving-and-towing/ecohitch

Torklift.

They also have great install videos.

I actually looked at an ecohitch for my Mazda3, as it didn't lay lower than the rear bumper. But finally decided I didn't need one, for a variety of reasons. Wouldn't hesitate to buy one though.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3294 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post