SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Oregon,Idaho,Montana,wyoming,Nebraska,Missouri,Tennesee,and So. Carolina
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Oregon,Idaho,Montana,wyoming,Nebraska,Missouri,Tennesee,and So. Carolina Login/Join 
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I'll see what I can do.

I will be wearing my necessary, pre-scription eye sunglasses.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
I'll see what I can do.

I will be wearing my necessary, pre-scription eye sunglasses.
I hope you're kidding. Sunglasses are definitely not sufficiently dark to watch an eclipse.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
More importantly, are you ready for the hoards of crazy people that will descend upon your town if you are in the path of totality.
Many EMS teams are gearing up for the big event and treating it as a potential mass casualty event...

Our company expects beyond a quarter million visitor load increase for the "event" at the Oregon coast. I've heard estimates to one million for our state.

Me, I'll be working. Most neighbors and friends are planning watch parties, taking the day off...I'm just not feeling the buzz.

Posts: 3240 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I was in Billings, Montana for a total eclipse in about 1980. It was very strange. Dark midday with street lights on, dogs barking and birds scratching their beaks.

15 minutes later and it was over.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
And here I was, thinking this was a Road Trip thread!

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Iowa gets cheated once again in 2024/April
https://eclipse.gsfc.nasa.gov/...024Apr08Tgoogle.html

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54637 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smlsig:
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Are you ready for the solar eclipse thats coming to you , in the month of August?....

More importantly, are you ready for the hoards of crazy people that will descend upon your town if you are in the path of totality.
Many EMS teams are gearing up for the big event and treating it as a potential mass casualty event...
Damn that Moon for doing it's thing and getting in the way of the SUN. Wink

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I'll be going to the Smokey Mountains to see it if anyone wants to get together. I've already put in to be off that day.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
Will be driving down to Lander, WY for the No Dumb Questions podcast taping. I'll be staying somewhere in the area and then viewing the eclipse on the 21st and driving back home on the 22nd. I will attempt to photograph the eclipse. I have my solar filter ordered.

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna catch it on TV.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post

I work in St. Clair, Mo and we will be just off the center line.

Planning a little party and have eclipse glasses ordered for everyone. I guess we'll serve Moon Pies and Sun Chips.

This little town will probably be packed. Time to practice saying "get off my lawn."

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4788 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where I have it is predicted to be 97% totality.
Emergency Services and law enforcement have been creating plans for several months in the affected counties.

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yep. Took the day off. Our school has already had out of towers call and ask for permission to watch the eclipse from school grounds. Depending on what we hear leading up to it as far as crowds are concerned, I may keep the kids home from school. They are estimating an extra 100-200k in our area alone that day. Not sure how they came up with those numbers though....

Posts: 2157 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Funny thing is I think all states in the path are claiming the "best viewing point". Kentucky is making a big deal about being the best viewing point for the eclipse. And it must be working because all the surrounding hotels have been sold out for nine months or so, and people are staying as far away as Paducah and Nashville to find lodging.

http://www.kysolareclipse.com/...iewing-locations.htm

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Funny thing is I think all states in the path are claiming the "best viewing point". Kentucky is making a big deal about being the best viewing point for the eclipse. And it must be working because all the surrounding hotels have been sold out for nine months or so, and people are staying as far away as Paducah and Nashville to find lodging.

http://www.kysolareclipse.com/...iewing-locations.htm

And tourism isn't the only thing that is being watched, as sex trafficking might be on the uptick in these locations too.
http://www.wdrb.com/story/3585...months-solar-eclipse

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Wow. Eek

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post