SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ATF: 423 million guns in America, 1.2 per person, 8.1 billion rounds of ammo a year
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ATF: 423 million guns in America, 1.2 per person, 8.1 billion rounds of ammo a year Login/Join 
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Numbers are too low. Let’s work on that guys.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If there are 8.1 billion rounds Mfg. how many are hand loaded? Big Grin

Posts: 14 | Registered: December 01, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Cheerful news for a change.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
According to the FBI UCR for 2108 there were less than 300 deaths attributed to all rifles. (297).

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-t...ide-data-table-8.xls

quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
18 million “Modern Sporting Rifles” in circulation, and <400 deaths related to rifles of all kinds each year? Safer than cars and swimming pools, maybe ladders.... Wink

Posts: 95 | Location: Spokane Washington | Registered: June 14, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
I recall reading some time back that there were more than 600 million guns in the hands of the public, not counting LEO and military. And that estimate was considered to be low.

Don't recall where I read it, but will see if my aging memory can figure it out.

Edited to add:

https://bearingarms.com/jenn-j...firearms-in-america/

And they seem to say that their numbers are really too low.

Will keep looking

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25642 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PowerSurge:
Numbers are too low. Let’s work on that guys.
Well, I'm doing my part. I have about 80 various firearms.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
Two more on the way for me! Cool

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not old enough to remember but when buying a long gun 40+ years ago did it have to be registered?

If not then that number is probably way low.

Posts: 3910 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
I'm not old enough to remember but when buying a long gun 40+ years ago did it have to be registered?

Registration? There's no registration of anything, federally, unless it's NFA stuff.

Q

Posts: 26349 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:

Registration? There's no registration of anything, federally, unless it's NFA stuff.

No OFFICIAL registration anyway. Every gun sale through an FFL has tracking information attached to it. And now with the electronic form 4473 system in place, I have ZERO trust that that information isn’t automatically being entered into a database somewhere. ZERO.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Man, I really need to invest in Reynolds Wrap.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine says that if you can not put numbers to it then it's voodoo. I know that 422.9 million is a number, but how accurate that number is, highly suspect. Now the 8.1 billion rounds of ammo manufactured, that can be very close to correct. Of course, it does not take into account hand loading.
I take great joy in a report like this causing liberal heads to explode, but other than that, I'm not sure of the real value.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

Yeah, because we know we can trust the government, right? They'd never do something like keep records they said they were going to destroy. That would be lying, and lying is wrong, and America is always right.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

I’ll give you an example and let you decide. I sold a pistol I had purchased through an FFL previously at a gun show in VA in about 1995. Guy had a VA drivers license, so cash changed hands. Nor was there an exchange of information of any kind. Fast forward to 2000. Out of the blue, I get a phone call from the New York State police. It seems either the guy that bought my gun, or someone he passed it to was found in illegal possession of same.

How do you suppose they came by the information? Yes, the ATF can track gun sales years after the fact through FFL paperwork. Do you trust the government? I work for them and can say no, I do not. If a gun can be traced in such a manner, it most certainly can be registered somewhere against your knowledge. And that was in 1995. Before the Swiss cheese security of the internet.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
I’ll give you an example and let you decide. I sold a pistol I had purchased through an FFL previously

If you purchased it from an FFL, the FFL must maintain 4473s for 20 years I believe. So...Gun manufacturer sent gun to Distributor who sent gun to Dealer who sold the gun to you and that info is kept in the store. And the trace ends with you because you sold it w/out any other info.

Working in the Evidence Room, I run firearm traces several times a week.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8765 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:
quote:
I’ll give you an example and let you decide. I sold a pistol I had purchased through an FFL previously

If you purchased it from an FFL, the FFL must maintain 4473s for 20 years I believe. So...Gun manufacturer sent gun to Distributor who sent gun to Dealer who sold the gun to you and that info is kept in the store. And the trace ends with you because you sold it w/out any other info.

The trace ends with the boating accident.

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Orndorff:
quote:

That’s all well and good, but given the shenanigans engaged by the previous administration and the ATF under their direction, does it garner warm feelings of trust that adherence to procedure is inviolate in you? It does not in me.

Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Nope. I don’t trust the government. At that same time, my distrust of the government doesn’t cause me to see a conspiracy behind everything.

Tracing guns to the owner has been going on since there have been record keeping. Your 4473 wasn’t in some government database. Some cop went to the gun shop you bought it from and requested to see the 4473.

I work for the government too. I see a bunch of stuff that is ripe for abuse. This isn’t one of them.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Old Air Cavalryman
Picture of ARMT Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Firearms-ammunition manufacturing accounted for nearly 12,000 employees

Surprised at this number. I'd have thought it much higher.
Lots of machines. . . .

flashguy

And Temps, probably.

"Also I heard the voice of the Lord saying who shall I send, and who will go for us? Then said I, here am I, send me."

Posts: 7464 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The ATF knows how many guns have been manufactured and imported for the last several decades. They may not know from before the reporting requirements were put in place, but they may have some ideas, and I don't think it would be a large percentage of the total anyway.

I think the big questions would be disposals. Guns can last a long time, but a certain number get destroyed or lost every year (lost in this case meaning lost to anyone, not lost/stolen by one person and ending up in someone else's hands.) That number they may not have a good source for.

quote:
Originally posted by sig sailor:
A friend of mine says that if you can not put numbers to it then it's voodoo. I know that 422.9 million is a number, but how accurate that number is, highly suspect. Now the 8.1 billion rounds of ammo manufactured, that can be very close to correct. Of course, it does not take into account hand loading.
I take great joy in a report like this causing liberal heads to explode, but other than that, I'm not sure of the real value.
Rod

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post