SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ATF: 423 million guns in America, 1.2 per person, 8.1 billion rounds of ammo a year
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ATF: 423 million guns in America, 1.2 per person, 8.1 billion rounds of ammo a year Login/Join 
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:

I sure fucked that bell curve up. Cool

Perfection.

ROTFLMAO!!! Big Grin

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Guessed at numbers don't mean shit. I wonder how they came to such stupid conclusions. Maybe a start would be to print the numbers of each manufacturer since the beginning. Then tell us how they figured attrition as in guns lost in rivers and lakes, burned buildings, and silly things like the number destroyed by the police's and what not. I'd like to know the distribution of that 428 million by manufacturer. Just for fun. If nothing else it would give us a handle on how the guessed at figures were made.

I don't have my required 1.2 because I only keep whole guns, not decimal ones. But I think I can cover for my non gun owning wife. Big Grin My kids are doing OK because I've given each at least that 1.2 each, and probably enough to cover for their underage offspring.

Worse than all that, I never caught the AR craze. But down in the dungeon, I saw a brand new lower (counts as a gun to the idiots that run our gubberment.) Or maybe I should keep it as my .2. Who knows.

At one time, before I retired maybe 10 years ago, I had 300! Yep. And I realized it was way too many. So I set about a project to divest myself of a bunch of them. Too 2 full years to cut it in half. And since then they've been going away pretty fast. Problem being I've kind of kept the best ones and bought a few more. OK, more than just a few.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too think the numbers are not right. Winchester alone produced 7.5 million Model 94s.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16089 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The ATF gets all the firearms production numbers. They probably get disposal numbers from PDs and other organizations that destroy guns in bulk. They may be estimating, but they probably have enough input data to get in the ballpark.

quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
I seriously question the "423 Million guns" number. There are guns in collections in the United States since literally the dawn of the age of the Gun. Many guns made "in ye olden days" are still functional firearms. There were no numbers other than wild assed guesses as to production and current functionality.

That said, I'm good for my share in bumping that average.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
It doesn't purport to be a full count. The number is drawn from the Annual Firearms Manufacturing and Export Report assembled by BATFE from Type 07 and Type 10 federal licensees. The numbers come from reports filed between 1986 and 2018.

I can't find NSSF's actual methodology for their conclusions, and I don't have access to the raw data, but from all appearances, this is a report drawn from 32 years of federal dealer data, not a census of all firearms in the US.

https://www.nssf.org/nssf-rele...-production-figures/

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
18 million “Modern Sporting Rifles” in circulation, and <400 deaths related to rifles of all kinds each year? Safer than cars and swimming pools, maybe ladders.... Wink

Problem si that cars, pools and ladders are not targeted by liberals and those who carry their water, i.e. the so-called news media.

Posts: 232 | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Whatever it is, it’s a big number. Way bigger than the 300 million they’ve been using for years. Let’s say the left’s wet dream came true and they got a buyback at a criminally-low $300 each, they’d need at least $127,000,000,000 to get started. That’s a rather large number.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
All the time
Picture of Gear.Up
posted Hide Post
Americans Bought Enough Guns on Black Friday to Arm the Marine Corps

According to the FBI, over 200,000 background check requests associated with the purchase of a firearm were submitted to the agency on Black Friday, marking the second highest gun sales day ever. The previous record was set on the day after Thanksgiving in 2016. In both 2017 and 2016, enough guns were potentially purchased on Black Friday to arm every active duty United States Marine.

Posts: 2320 | Location: East TN | Registered: July 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
So, this proves yet again that liberal/progressives are completely bat shit crazy. How do I know this? Easy, its liberal/progressives who are actively trying to piss off a large majority of the people who own and know how to use those 423 million guns and 8 billion rounds of ammo. Only sticking their heads into a wood chipper would be more stupid.

And I'm with the others here who think those numbers are a bit light. Regardless, it makes me smile knowing what those numbers will do to the minds of liberals. Smile

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've got mental
blue balls now
Picture of tlbailey1
posted Hide Post
Their minds would be blown if they knew about all of the 80% AR's being made... Wink

I think I averaged more than 1.2 per month in 2019. Big Grin

Posts: 6847 | Location: Idaho | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:

Ummm hmmmmm hmmmmm. :bangschest:

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12633 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Re: the OP. It's a good start.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
LOL, they only know about ONE of mine, HAHAHAHAHAHA!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Winning!!! Big Grin

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Based on my own studies, 1.2 guns per person means… a lot of people don’t know any guns. Big Grin

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
18 million “Modern Sporting Rifles” in circulation, and <400 deaths related to rifles of all kinds each year? Safer than cars and swimming pools, maybe ladders.... Wink

And Doctors!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8354 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gotta start somewhere, but we've really got to get those numbers pumped up.

Posts: 2485 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
For once I am above average. Razz

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8527 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I only have 17 assorted evil semiauto rifles...gotta up my game.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
And Doctors!

Don’t push your luck, buddy. Big Grin

Posts: 18066 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post