SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    ATF: 423 million guns in America, 1.2 per person, 8.1 billion rounds of ammo a year
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

ATF: 423 million guns in America, 1.2 per person, 8.1 billion rounds of ammo a year Login/Join 
posted
https://www.washingtonexaminer...ounds-of-ammo-a-year

America’s love affair with guns is only getting stronger.

New federal data shows that there are 422.9 million firearms in circulation, or about 1.2 for every single person in the country.

What’s more, despite years of criticism of modern “assault style” rifles like the AR-15 and AK-47, there are a record 17.7 million in private hands, proving that it is the most popular gun around.

And last year alone, the arms industry produced 8.1 billion rounds of ammo.

The figures are from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and were crunched by the National Shooting Sports Foundation, the gun industry trade group.

“These figures show the industry that America has a strong desire to continue to purchase firearms for lawful purposes,” said Joe Bartozzi, President of the National Shooting Sports Foundation, in releasing the group’s new report.

“The modern sporting rifle continues to be the most popular centerfire rifle sold in America today and is clearly a commonly-owned firearm with more than 17 million in legal private ownership today. The continued popularity of handguns demonstrates a strong interest by Americans to protect themselves and their homes, and to participate in the recreational shooting sports,” he added.

Gun shops contacted by Secrets said that they are seeing more and more purchases of semi-automatic weapons like handguns and AR-15s due to the criticism of them by 2020 Democratic presidential candidates.

“Sales have definitely been brisk, especially of small concealable handguns. We also saw a spike in sales of tactical rifles like AR-15s and AK-47s, for which I think we can confidently thank Beto O’Rourke,” said Justin Anderson, the marketing director for Hyatt Guns in Charlotte, N.C., one of the country’s biggest.

During his short presidential campaign, O'Rourke called for a ban on the rifles.

Other details from the NSSF report, shared with Secrets:

54% of all rifles produced in 2017 were modern sporting rifles.
In 2017, 7,901,218 total firearms were produced and imported. Of those, 4,411,923 were pistols and revolvers, 2,821,945 were rifles and 667,350 were shotguns.
An interim 2018 estimate showed a total 7,660,772 total firearms were produced and imported. Of those 4,277,971 were pistols and revolvers, 2,846,757 were rifles and 535,994 were shotguns.
Firearms-ammunition manufacturing accounted for nearly 12,000 employees producing over $4.1 billion in goods shipped in 2017.
An estimated 8.1 billion rounds, of all calibers and gauges, were produced in 2018 for the U.S. market.

Posts: 12578 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Sigforum accounted for 27% of that. We gotta do better.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Keep the faith, brothers!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Now, if only each of those gun owners would vote like a gun owner, I wouldn’t have to worry about any more infringements of my rights for as long as I lived.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I apologize for raising the average. Eek

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Now, if only each of those gun owners would vote like a gun owner, I wouldn’t have to worry about any more infringements of my rights for as long as I lived.

Let's keep hoping!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
18 million “Modern Sporting Rifles” in circulation, and <400 deaths related to rifles of all kinds each year? Safer than cars and swimming pools, maybe ladders.... Wink

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
^^^ Good point, Doc. That should be screamed from the rooftops.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
18 million “Modern Sporting Rifles” in circulation, and <400 deaths related to rifles of all kinds each year? Safer than cars and swimming pools, maybe ladders.... Wink

I'd include 110v outlets as well.

P229

Posts: 3808 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
^^^^Don't you be messin with my 110V outlets, now. Them's fighting words.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Over 61,000 persons died from drug overdose in 2017, but it's those damn evil guns they want to confiscate.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:

Hahahahaha

That’s the first thing I thought of.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:

I'd include 110v outlets as well.

What does any sane person need that many volts? We need some common sense voltage regulation now!

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Firearms-ammunition manufacturing accounted for nearly 12,000 employees

Surprised at this number. I'd have thought it much higher.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Firearms-ammunition manufacturing accounted for nearly 12,000 employees

Surprised at this number. I'd have thought it much higher.
Lots of machines. . . .

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
or about 1.2 for every single person in the country.

I sure fucked that bell curve up. Cool

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
This thread is full of great news. We gotta get all the gun owners on the same page though.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Leemur:
Sigforum accounted for 27% of that. We gotta do better.

Did my part. I get to bring a new pistol home tomorrow.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
I seriously question the "423 Million guns" number. There are guns in collections in the United States since literally the dawn of the age of the Gun. Many guns made "in ye olden days" are still functional firearms. There were no numbers other than wild assed guesses as to production and current functionality.

That said, I'm good for my share in bumping that average.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post