SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cleaning Stainless Cook-top
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning Stainless Cook-top Login/Join 
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted
OK, I need help. And not just the psychiatric kind. Thank you very much.

We have a stainless cook-top that gets the black/brown stain on it. These things are virtually impervious to all but jack hammers and grinders.

Help!!!

What works?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post

Posts: 16342 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bar Keepers works.

Bon Ami has been around for awhile, some people like over BKF

You can also get some hot water in a pot and add PBW (Powder Brewery Wash). It's an alkali and does wonders for stainless. Just remember to ONLY use it on stainless, I washed a baking sheet using it and it took off the tin coating Roll Eyes

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Above ideas good.
You are talking about a cooktop with elements, not a stainless flattop/griddle right?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
The rings around the elements can be removed and soaked in a mixture of Dawn/water... then use a scour pad or green scrubber with more Dawn/water and elbow grease.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24107 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
Above ideas good.
You are talking about a cooktop with elements, not a stainless flattop/griddle right?

This is a gas cook-top. The stains are around the burners on the flat sheet of stainless. Broiled on but good.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
I've tried Brillo pads, and with liberal amounts of elbow grease, they work, sort of. On the brown stains the Brillo pads do OK. But once it's gone black it doesn't ever want to go back.

I want to try a propane torch to burn it off, but Mrs Fenris has forbidden it.

posted Hide Post
Collinite metal wax and put it on 0000 bronze wool and scrub it lightly, try it on a small piece of old T-shirt before resorting to Bronze wool, 95% of the time it will get it off, wipe the metal wax off before it dries. The black spots are actually corrosion in the stainless alloy. Cleaning and polishing stainless steel is part of what I do for a living.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jimmy123x,

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Have you tried soaking in oven cleaner? No experience, just spit balling.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20820 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I'm thinking sandblaster. Razz

Posts: 3381 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post