SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    BMW takes Guiness record for longest drift in 8 hours
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

BMW takes Guiness record for longest drift in 8 hours Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
While my reaction is "Why?", the five refuelings were very interesting, not to mention dangerous as all get out.

The majority of the distance was done on a flooded track to reduce the tire wear.

The new record is 232.5 miles.
The previous record was 89.55 miles.
----------------------------------------------

quote:
It’s time to take the GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS™ title for the longest vehicle drift in 8 hours. Please join BMW in commending World Record Driver Johan Schwartz, Refuel Driver Matt Mullins, and Refueler Matt Butts, for a triumphant performance.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31376 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
I don't even understand the point any more, to be honest. I mean, guiness world record for something people can relate to, but come on... millions of dollars on a track, specialized car, specialized surface, special tires, team, refueling tactics...

I mean, that's nifty. Cool. Good job.

Why the hell is that even a thing..? Is there a guiness world record for longest off-the-chart sit on the stairs to the basement because he's pissed off at how a snowball fight went? My 6yo could enter that one.

Again. Don't get me wrong. Cool stuff, but does there have to be a world record for things just because people dream them up?

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
A friend works in marketing for mega corps. She got very high praise once, because a project was able to show a direct tenth of a percent increase in sales.

The profit of that tiny increase dwarfed the cost of the campaign.

Until I had that explained to me, I never understood mega Corp advertising.

It’s just a different scale than anyone is used to, who doesn’t have customer bases in the hundreds of millions/billion

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I don't see it as "cool" - to me, the level of stupidity is sinking further.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dividing by zero
since 1966
Picture of rekstrom
posted Hide Post
Coincidentally the all new much anticipated M5 hits showrooms in a few weeks.

Posts: 2952 | Location: between locations at the moment | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
That is one way to ensure your "world record" is not broken for a long time. And sell a few cars as a result. Win on Sunday - sell on Monday.

BMW M5 World Record Longest Drift - we didn't just break the record, we smashed it. Every prospective M5 buyer wants to know this before buying.

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3785 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimb888:
Sorry, I don't see it as "cool" - to me, the level of stupidity is sinking further.

+1, waste of money.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I thought the new M5 was going to be all wheel drive?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21075 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Fascinating.
I had no idea there was even a record for that sort of thing.

Eight hours? Man, I'd have to make a "pit stop" more than once in that sitting.

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Screw that. Wet track doesn't count.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3509 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Driftability is the sole criterion on which I base my automobile purchase decision.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back in Black
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
I thought the new M5 was going to be all wheel drive?

It can be switched from AWD to RWD. I think it is pretty cool. I believe that is the skidpad we used at the M Driving School I attended. I was only able to make it around once in the M3. Haha.

Posts: 1147 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
The whole concept of "drifting" is dumb as a stump.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20302 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It would be interesting to try drifting in a Beemer, get some kind of success at it. A fun thing to do, maybe even a few times.

As far as the video, their next challenge would be to break their own record, on a figure 8 track, refueling included -

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
We “drifted” all the time when I was a teenager driving in the winter in the Midwest. When it snowed you always drifted around the corners and sometimes drifted on into the ditch. I don’t see the point, it would get old for me after the first lap.

Posts: 4075 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The last time I saw drifting in the wild, 2 kids with low slung rice rockets (Hondas and such) were doing it on a backcountry road out in the woods. I'd seen the gravel marks on the way up, but didn't know what they were or what was going on or realize anyone would be stupid enough to do that on a curvy backcountry road with too many blind corners. I was dumb to not consider that possibility or that the fuckers were heading back to me at high speed doing the exact same shit.

Thank the dear lord the douchbag in the lead hit a bump and took off his muffler. They'd stopped in the middle of the one lane road, the gravel marks clear what had occurred, one of them standing there with a bunch of exhaust pipes in hand. They had 2 cars so I figured they could have the lesson without me yelling at them. I 4wded around them, drove off and left them. A rare thing for me as I always try and help folks in the woods who need it. But I was feeling pissed off and judgemental I suppose.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
Subaru should best this record with the BRZ. Show them what a $25,000 car can do.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post