SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    RIP - Lee Jurras
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP - Lee Jurras Login/Join 
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted
I've seen a reference to his passing today, but haven't been able to confirm online beyond noticing that a Wikipedia page on him was updated.

Mr. Jurras was the originator of the famed Super-Vel ammunition among other noteworthy accomplishments.

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I still have a partial box of .45 ACP 185 grain Super-Vel JHPs.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107588 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I still have a partial box of .45 ACP 185 grain Super-Vel JHPs.

My father, an LA County Sheriff's Deputy in the early 1970s, still has some .38 Special Super-Vels, too. He talked glowingly of their performance.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another admirer of the man and his work here. A box of 380ACP is somewhere in my collection, mostly full after nearly 50 years because the gun makers couldn't keep up with the ammo makers (wouldn't feed in my Browning 380).

His Wikipedia page was just updated moments ago to say he died today. Another great one gone.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
I've got a bunch, some made before he sold the company, some after. Before = good/fast, after = not so much. Sorry to hear of his passing.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still have a box of Super-Vel in 380cal and 357 Mag. Those 357mag rounds are real hummers!!

Posts: 6618 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Frown

He'd had cancer for a while but was a forgone conclusion for a while now and just a matter of time.

I bought this TCR rifle from him many years ago now and always wanted to have him write a a provenance letter for it, but I never felt right in asking (even well before he was sick) Quite a life and one of the last of a bygone era in shooting.

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have some 357 Magnum Super-Vel, they shoot good too.

Posts: 11744 | Location: Western Oklahoma | Registered: June 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stiab:
I've got a bunch, some made before he sold the company, some after. Before = good/fast, after = not so much. Sorry to hear of his passing.

I wonder if after he sold the company, the new owners had some pressure measurements made on the old loads and were shocked at what they found. You don't get that level of performance for no reason.

Posts: 1571 | Location: SW PA | Registered: November 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
He was the Weatherby of handgun cartridges. Shooting the lighter high velocity bullets in a Python was know to crack the barrel and Smith & Wessons as well. I cracked the barrel in my Python and a S&W M10.

Gary Reeder is suppose to build a limited run of Howdah pistols in his honor.

RIP Lee and thanks for the memories.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cycler:
quote:
Originally posted by stiab:

I wonder if after he sold the company, the new owners had some pressure measurements made on the old loads and were shocked at what they found. You don't get that level of performance for no reason.

I'm not sure, but some claim he partially achieved the velocities by using undersized bullets, don't know if that is true or not. I do know by actual testing that his 110 grain .38 Special far out performed the so called "hot Treasury load" in the same bullet weight.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1859 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
RIP Lee. One of the gun rags just ran a story about the resurgence of Super Vel ammo. I think they said some of the new stuff was pretty hot.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rest in Peace. I didn't know him, but I have shot some of his ammo.

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
His work is mentioned in the May Dillon Blue Press article "A Brief History of Pressure" which starts on page 78.

http://www.dillonprecision.com...7_Blue_Press_web.pdf

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an
opportunity to STFU
posted Hide Post
Here is a picture of Lee shooting his Ruger pistol. One of the last times he went shooting. He was tough to the end. Jerry Moran, the best gun smith and tuner I have ever seen was a good friend of his. He will be updating Wikipedia, and American handgunner is going to do a story. A great man, great American. RIP.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: greco,

Never be more than one step away from your sword-Old Greek Wisdom

Posts: 2294 | Location: SE Mich-- USA | Registered: September 10, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Gary Reeder built a 475 Linebaugh for him in his last days.

Even as weak as he was, he took it to the range and shot it.

There should be an article about him in the next issue of the American Handgunner by John Taffin.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post