SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hunters, What Are You Using To Grind Your Meat?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hunters, What Are You Using To Grind Your Meat? Login/Join 
10 November, 1775
Picture of MarinetoRN
posted
Specifically, fat or fat substitute. Used to, any butcher in town would sell you all the fat you wanted to use in grinding sausage/burger. But for some reason this year they are all saying they can’t do that anymore. Most game meat is pretty lean and needs some kind of fat to keep the meat moist and edible. I’m kind of at a loss as to what will work. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
On another note, I’ve been using my kitchenaid with a grinding attachment for about the last 20 years. It’s finally getting worn out. So I bought the LEM Big Bite 32 this year. That thing is a hoss!!!

SiGArm'd

P220ST X2, 1911 Revolution, P245, P229 RTTEQ/ST .40 X2, P226ST, Mosquito
Other weaponry not SIG

Glocks are ugly.
I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders.

Posts: 2471 | Location: Eastern NC | Registered: August 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Pork fat. Local butchers here will sell it to you cheap. If you can't get regular fat, just use boneless pork country ribs.

Posts: 20088 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
Depends on what I'm grinding it for. If sausage, I use pork fat or in some cases mix in pork butt. For burger, I use beef fat that I get from a local butcher.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6484 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I got a bull elk this year. In prior years I added pork. This year, based on a recommendation from a rancher friend, I asked my local grocery store butcher counter for beef suet and they sold it to me. Worked out pretty well. I have a small kitchen scale and used a 90% elk : 10% suet mixture.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Garret Blaine
posted Hide Post
If you can’t get fat bacon works well.

-----------------------------------

Posts: 335 | Location: Buffalo, WY | Registered: June 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
I got a bull elk this year. In prior years I added pork. This year, based on a recommendation from a rancher friend, I asked my local grocery store butcher counter for beef suet and they sold it to me. Worked out pretty well. I have a small kitchen scale and used a 90% elk : 10% suet mixture.

This is what I do for my deer burger. Absolute best burger you can get (at least my daughter and I think so Wink) As to why they won't sell it, I have no good reason for it. Maybe try some of the smaller country type stores with a butcher? I bet they'd be happy to just about give it away.

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
Do you have a farmer's market in your area? They may charge a little bit, but you can generally get fat there.

Speak softly and carry a big stick loaded Sig

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post