SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do you fill the basin to wash your face?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you fill the basin to wash your face? Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted
I see it in movies...the basin is full of water, and the main character washes or shaves using water from the basin. And then usually has to wipe off some ridiculous amount of steam from the mirror.

Do you do this?

I scoop running water from the faucet rather than fill up the basin. Just seems more sanitary.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
No. I don't do that.

I do like you do.

And I shave in the shower.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30408 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Oh hell no!

Get the water temp close to body temp and get some on and dry off.

I shave with an electric razor while checking out SIGforum early in the morning with coffee and a donut close by.

It's not rocket science.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I can't remember ever a time I waited for the basin to fill up. Turn the water on, wait for it to warm up a bit, and splash it on. I'm outta there.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5039 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
No, definitely not.

And I haven't shaved my face smooth with a razor in years. Beard trimmer type things only, thanks. It gets it close enough for my tastes and lifestyle. I may never do it again.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Ew! I wouldn't do that! The basin is for washing your junk!

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Somebody else ask rusbro where he brushes his teeth.

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:

See, now you're jumping to conclusions. Does rusbro even have teeth?? Big Grin

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
I use the basin, if that is your word for the bathroom sink, only about half full though.

Conserves water that way and it is easy enough to swish it around while it drains to keep the sink clean afterward.

Never had the need to wipe the mirror since the process just doesn't make that much steam.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
If I don't shave in the shower, I shave dry. Sure, it hurts a little more but it seems to last a little longer than using a lubricant.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
If I don't shave in the shower, I shave dry. Sure, it hurts a little more but it seems to last a little longer than using a lubricant.

Phrasing. Big Grin

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I cup my hands to catch the water from the faucet to either rinse out my eyes or wet my face for shaving.

After I shave, then I take a shower.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never fill the sink. I use it to brush my teeth with the water running. Those parts of my face not covered by beard are shaved in the shower every morning using a Bic disposable razor.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
People spit in my basin, so no.

Posts: 26902 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
I also call it a sink, not a basin... Big Grin

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
And I shave in the shower.
I don't think that the Norelco warranty covers that.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I use a wash cloth to wash my face with hot water from the tap, wring it out with fresh hot water, wipe soap from face, rinse and wring wash cloth,and hang it on towel rack.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
No, ain't nobody got time for that! Shower, or scoop from the sink.

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Haven’t shaved since 1978, when I was stationed on ship. Learned I could grow a beard in the USN and have had one since.

As far as the OP, I wash my face in the shower, shampoo hair and beard at the same time. Extremely rare to wash my face, but then just som soap and water on face and hands, bit of water to rinse.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craglawnmanor:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by RichardC:

Isnt that why they have dual sinks? One for ur junk one for teeth?

The the OP, no, definately not. The time I need a foggy mirror is when Im playing red rum.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post