SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My car: Scion iA 2016 problem (any suggestions?)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My car: Scion iA 2016 problem (any suggestions?) Login/Join 
Moving cash
for money
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
It needs a jump. I've been in similar situations where you think there's no way it could be the battery and it is.

Also, push start vehicles should all have an emergency back up key and regular ignition in case the system fails. I would check for that. The key is usually hidden in the fob and the cylinder is in the console or on the dash somewhere.

Not all have the backup ignition switch. My wife's Escape has the manual door lock, if the key fob fails. For the ignition, however, you have to place the key in a certain spot on the console to start it if the fob dies. There is no secondary ignition switch.

Toyota's instructions are to place the key fob on the start button and use the fob to push the start button. Even a "dead" fob battery should be able to "start" a Toyota this way.
Hot weather kills batteries, cold weather tends to reveal the issues. My experience with Toyota factory batteries is they are 36 month and that any thing beyond that is a gift. Reminds me to start testing the wife's 2016 Hybrid. I replaced the 2012 Camry battery in 2014 so looks like I may need to budget for two batteries next year. (Along with a set of tires...)

"When in danger or in doubt, run in circles scream and shout" R.I.P. R.A.H.
Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga Ooga Chakka Hooga Hooga
NRA Basic Rifle Instructor
Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED Adult/Child/Infant Instructor
Red Cross Wilderness First Aid Instructor

Posts: 9912 | Location: Jawjah | Registered: December 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Had a Nissan Murano that would sometimes not recognize the key. I'd have the key in my hand step on the brake push the button and the dash would say "No Key ". But if I put the key in the pod on the dash it would start and then work fine for sometime . Then out of the blue it would act up again. At one time I had to take the car into Nissan and they reprogramed all the keys. Won't have another Nissan.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post