SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Success!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Success! Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Ha! I'm sending this from a computer running Linux Mint, on my very first try, and no cursing.... well not very much.

I got a thumb drive, downloaded the free ISO, wrote it onto the thumb drive, and got it booted up.

It doesn't boot on startup unaided but maybe I can figure that out next. Onward and upward!

Happy, happy!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post
Linux Mint....sounds refreshing and delicious! Tells you what I know about it. Wink

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I installed Linux Mint MATE on 3 computers. Stable and has all the software/features I need.
I downloaded Scribus for desktop publishing.

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PCWyoming:
I installed Linux Mint MATE on 3 computers. Stable and has all the software/features I need.
I downloaded Scribus for desktop publishing.

PC

I have a lot of exploring to do, but so far, that is what it seems like. It is running off the USB stick now, but if it is this straightforward, maybe it will be the OS of choice, or one of the many variants.

It picked up and installed my all in one printer all by itself. Can't wait to see what that ended up as.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Linux Mint has become one of the premiere Debian based platforms available. Not as extensive as Ubuntu, but definitely easier. Why not discard your former Windows life completely and install LM permanently on your system, with all reckless abandon?

Debian operating systems supports Libre Office for your office needs, Thunderbird for your mail needs, and Gimp for your graphics needs. With encrypted file systems, lots of game offerings, and Firefox for your browsing needs, what's not to love?

From the more advanced Debian based Parrot OS, down to the simpler bash shells, Linux Mint is well positioned.

Plus Gnome2 and mate and other windows managers are available to tailor the systems to your needs.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jallen ,
welcome to the wonderful world of Linux - no viruses - no loading of programs that tell Microsoft what you do and who u are - no lookyloo at your browsing - no interminable " do not touch anything " while Microsoft " updates " .
Youtube has thousands of videos that can assist u with any problems and people are glad to help . Since Linux went graphical
about the only command line you will ever need to use is " sudo apt-get install " to download and install some programs ..
The oldest of my mates that I have converted to Linux is 91 and he reckons it is great - spends half his days on Skype talking to relatives and friends all over the world .
best .

Posts: 132 | Registered: June 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12108 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
In this world often fraught with grief and woe, it is nice to have a triumph now and then.

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Congrats! I'm an Apple guy. I mostly operate from a unix (OK, FreeBSD) shell running BASH. Yeah, in ham terminology, I'm an appliance operator.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diversified Hobbyist
Picture of Steve 22X
posted Hide Post
Used UNIX systems in the late '80s primarily using the command line in a terminal window and loved the functionality, the GUI was used for commercial programs.
Had to move to Windows systems in the early '90s due to work.
At home, I started using Linux in the mid '90s with RedHat and shortly afterward moved to SUSE.
Since around late 2006 have been using Mint Linux.

Mint Linux has come a long way and with the Cinnamon desktop the GUI is very similar to the end user as Windows 7 would be (for example).
Updates are easier and FAR FAR faster than with windows.
Additionally, there is rarely any need to reboot, reboot, reboot, reboot ad nauseum as when installing Windows updates.
Only when updating the kernel (not mandatory) or possibly the video driver (not mandatory) would a reboot be 'required'.
Performance requirements for components such as the CPU and RAM are much lower than for Windows.

A few advantages are the ability to dual boot alongside Windows, overall system stability, low resource use, quick system response, little chance of viruses (although not impossible) easy backups and many free or GPL programs available.
The ability to read/write to Windows formatted partitions has saved me many hours during the times when Windows has screwed up.
The only gripe I have is Mint appears to have moved system files from their normal locations, although I suspect this was done for security reasons as well as to avoid a newbie user from screwing something up (system stability).

Even Apple's BSD based OS could be considered a 'cousin' of Linux, although Apple's GUI is proprietary.

Frankly, now that I have retired my primary reason for booting into Win-7 is for playing commercial games.

-----------------------------------
Regards, Steve
The anticipation is often greater than the actual reward

Posts: 2463 | Location: Wylie, Texas | Registered: November 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post