SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have we entered the Twilight Zone? Proposal to ban bullet-resistant glass in Philly
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have we entered the Twilight Zone? Proposal to ban bullet-resistant glass in Philly Login/Join 
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I bet she believes Guam will tip over.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
quote:
Originally posted by 64dodge:
The level of stupidity on display here is staggering. Mere words cannot describe it.

I don’t believe this is based upon stupidity. IMO it’s based upon an agenda. And guys like SF members are not part of the agenda.

Yep.

It is most certainly agenda driven. Does that somehow minimize the fact that the agenda itself is based on a stupid premise or that the person advancing the agenda, by proxy, demonstrates an elevated level of stupidity for advancing said agenda? I think not. Regardless, I predict this proposal will die a swift, well deserved death. Business owners won't stand for it.

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
So, allowing people to protect or save their lives is racist. Fascinating. Obviously, she is the EOE hire.

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
quote:
Originally posted by 64dodge:
The level of stupidity on display here is staggering. Mere words cannot describe it.

I don’t believe this is based upon stupidity. IMO it’s based upon an agenda. And guys like SF members are not part of the agenda.

NEVER underestimate the capacity for stupidity in elected officials. I can't count the times I had "You gotta be shitting me" moments with elected officials. If you drill down you will find a surprisingly small number of voters in her election, who don't have a clue as to the issues or anything else in the real world.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ChuckWall
posted Hide Post
So, Soros is involved in electing BLM's District Attys. Why does that old monster want a race war in the US? He won't be alive to profit off it or pull the strings. So why does he want revolution ond insurrection so badly?

MAGA

Posts: 5689 | Registered: February 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
What a moron.
Perhaps she is also involved with the Flat Earth Society.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Nothing from Philly surprises me any longer. This is what you get when you elect only Democrats for nearly 70 years now, year in, year out.

-They elected a hard-left Dem Bill DeBlasio wannabe for Mayor.

-They JUST elected a new DA who has promised, PROMISED to side with the criminals and go after cops!

-They put a 1.5 cent tax on just about every soft dink imaginable and are now wondering why sales in the city are crashing and stores are struggling while sales just over the city limits are booming.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
quote:
councilwoman Cindy Bass

So is she a Crip or a Blood? Confused

She represents both the People and the Folks in her district. Wink

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
OK, now the inmates really are running the asylum. This bill passed out of committe today and will be put to a full council vote on Thursday, 12/14.

Stay tuned for our next exciting episode.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1448 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
If this passes and a clerk is killed at a store that used to have security glass, how much will the lawsuit that follows cost the city?

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
If passed this will be an easy fix for the shop owners.
No access inside the store only walk up and drive up windows where the customer stays outside.

We have one little shop here that works in this fashion.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SpinZone:
If this passes and a clerk is killed at a store that used to have security glass, how much will the lawsuit that follows cost the city?

I see these questions about governmental policies and statutes all the time, but I don’t recall ever seeing any actual lawsuits. I was under the general impression that such matters were not subject to tort claims, and suits against governments were limited to wrongful acts by employees. Am I wrong? Can I sue my town for the bumps in the road that they don’t fix in a timely manner? How about the police department for not keeping motorized vehicles off the hiking trail that goes by my house? City hall is in a 19th century building with a huge flight of stairs (no elevator) up to the floor where the city clerk is; can I sue them if I have a heart attack (or just get tired) walking up?

Inquiring minds would like to know.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
If they want to crack down on convenience stores selling shots and beers that people are then taking out onto the sidewalk, I completely understand that.

Such a store is a nuisance and eye sore. Such a store would not be welcome in my suburb, so I get that.

How bullet proof glass helps this issue is beyond me though. Crack down on those loitering and urinating in public. Change the liquor laws allowing those stores to sell single drinks.

They are making a new silly law because they aren't using the ones they already have. I will never understand why legislatures do this kind of thing.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
They are making a new silly law because they aren't using the ones they already have. I will never understand why legislatures do this kind of thing.

Because once we figure out that we don't need any new laws then we will also figure out we no longer need those who make them.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15694 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.c...move-safety-windows/

City Council Approves Bill That Could Force Businesses To Remove Bulletproof Glass

A bill targeting “beer delis” passed City Council this week.

Asian business owners call it a “kill bill,” referring to a provision that could remove plexiglass barriers.

Kenny’s Seafood and Steak on Wayne Avenue in North Philadelphia has tall plexiglass barriers lined on the inside with beer cans and cigarette boxes and with little if any food for sale.

“This does not fit the requirements of being a restaurant,” says Councilwoman Cindy Bass, who sponsored the bill which passed City Council 14 to 3.

It requires beer delis like Kenny’s to put in seating and bathroom or else stop selling alcohol. It also gives L&I the power to create rules for use of plexiglass barriers in such establishments.

“This bill pokes at us…targets us,” says Jeff Liu, who owns Kenny’s which he says earns most of its revenue from beer sales and little if any from food. But he says without plexiglass he’ll shut down to avoid danger to himself and his family.

“I’ll have no choice,” he says, “if I have to shut down, we’ll shut down.”

Kenny’s has some seating, but it’s not easily accessible to customers. Councilwoman Bass says he’d have to reconfigure the establishment to meet state and now, L&I guidelines.

Members of the Asian American Licensed Beverages Association (AALBA) packed into City Hall to oppose the bill. Numerous business owners told stories of robberies, beatings and even deaths caused by having no plexiglass. They also told stories of how plexiglass saved lives. Many members of AALBA called the bill racist and designed to get Asian business owners out of black neighborhoods, a notion which Bass rejects.

Mayor Kenny is expected to sign the bill which would go into effect in 2018, but give L&I three years to create plexiglass rules.

Posts: 19504 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ChuckWall:
So, Soros is involved in electing BLM's District Attys. Why does that old monster want a race war in the US? He won't be alive to profit off it or pull the strings. So why does he want revolution ond insurrection so badly?

Soros is like that old fuck in the FX series, The Strain. Thought he would live forever. He didn’t.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
He won't be alive to profit off it or pull the strings. So why does he want revolution ond insurrection so badly?

He has children.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15694 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sure, get the Asian convenience stores out of the black neighborhoods. They're racist.

Who else would open a business that being targeted for shop lifting, armed robbery and murder.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
The only other alternatives are to have armed guards or to have armed trained employees open carrying if the business is to stay open. Since it's a knuckleheaded blue city, being armed may not be legal. At that point I'd just close down and find something else somewhere else. The consequence of that will be more 'food deserts' and other service scarcities which will lower the value of the area and encourage more knuckleheaded people. The blame for this blight will be placed on some other innocent party or race. Call it a racial privilege not to have to live there or some such low fruit charge.

The better plan would be to change the culture from destructive thuggery to enlightened engaged edification. Start with rejecting the opiate of corrosive rap music messages. Continue with men claiming responsibility for their children. Women abstaining from child bearing until marriage. Both married loving parents raising their young in true morality and principles. Apply great public suffering to those who will not comply with the law. It would take many generations but the remedy is sure and advances exponentially.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post