SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have we entered the Twilight Zone? Proposal to ban bullet-resistant glass in Philly
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have we entered the Twilight Zone? Proposal to ban bullet-resistant glass in Philly Login/Join 
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted
I think someone is putting ground up stupid pills in the water supply of major cities.

quote:
www.leoaffairs.com: Philadelphia councilwoman pushing bill to remove protective glass barriers from convenience stores, for dignity of her constituents

Bulletproof glass and other barriers have long kept store workers safe from bodily harm and even death at the hands of armed criminals. This is especially true in crime-infested cities like Philadelphia.

Councilwoman Cindy Bass

However, a head-scratching bill put forth by councilwoman Cindy Bass would remove these protections from store workers. She claims that the plexiglass barriers are a form of “indignity” being pushed on her constituents. The proposed legislation is called the ‘Stop and Go’ bill and states that “no establishment shall erect or maintain a physical barrier.”

Logically, store owners and workers see it very differently. “If the glass comes down, the crime rate will rise and there will be lots of dead bodies,” said Rich Kim, who owns Broad Deli in an interview with Fox 29.

Kim put up protective glass in his store after a shooting, and says it saved his mother-in-law from a knife attack.

It seems clear that the councilwoman is willing to sacrifice the safety of store owners and workers within the city for the perceived dignity of the citizens. A dangerous tradeoff.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31440 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I have a doorknob with a higher IQ than that imbecile.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30663 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Philadelphia in particular seems to have lost it's collective mind. Here's Colin Flaherty's take on their new district attorney. Unbelievable.

Link to original video: https://youtu.be/0m1SsnCR0jk

I'm old enough to remember when our cities were centers of civilization, not third-world shit holes. Frown

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15482 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The level of stupidity on display here is staggering. Mere words cannot describe it.

Posts: 417 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: June 15, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
I'm not gonna say it's racism, but.....RACISM.

GMAFB... Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
Freaking idiot!

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
So I should be offended when I interact with a policeman wearing body armor, carrying a gun, although I committed no crime?

Posts: 9507 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it's wrong for the law-abiding citizens to protect themselves from the hordes of thugs and criminals.

Because, after all, the highest priority is maintaining the 'dignity' of the criminals.

These people are clinically insane.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21845 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiosity. Does one have to walk through metal detectors to attend a Philadelphia City Council meeting?

Of course that's a rhetorical question:

quote:
PHILADELPHIA-- The Department of Public Property and Philadelphia Police Department will support new
council rules tightening security provisions for council chambers. The new rules will be in place for the
opening session of City Council on January 22, 2004. All visitors to council meetings will be required to pass
through metal detectors on the 4th floor and at the entrances to the gallery on the 5th floor.

“We are complying with a request from the Council President, in the wake of the tragic incident that lead to the
death of a New York City councilman, to install metal detection equipment as additional security for council.
The new security rules are established by council; we are providing equipment and staff support for the metal
detector operation in an effort to make the chambers more secure,” said managing Director Phil Goldsmith.
X-ray and metal detection equipment will be in place for all regularly scheduled meetings of council as well as
special committee meetings. The four metal detection stations at Council entrances will be manned by two
security guards per station plus a supervisor. The Department of Public Property will manage the personnel
assigned to the detectors.

Enforcement of any infractions uncovered by the security scanning operation will be supported by the
Philadelphia Police Department.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15716 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
She should move to Somolia,

Posts: 9747 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
councilwoman Cindy Bass

So is she a Crip or a Blood? Confused

Posts: 22906 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 64dodge:
The level of stupidity on display here is staggering. Mere words cannot describe it.

I don’t believe this is based upon stupidity. IMO it’s based upon an agenda. And guys like SF members are not part of the agenda.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Much like California removing the “assault” component from someone knowing giving someone AIDS. They don’t want to stigmatize gay people.

Posts: 958 | Registered: October 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are alarms, surveillance cameras and door locks gonna be banned next? It’s always made me feel bad about myself when I see a locked door, it’s like people don’t trust me. Why am I treated like a criminal?

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3532 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:...after all, the highest priority is maintaining the 'dignity' of the criminals.

These people are clinically insane.

I guess that describes the Councilwoman's constituents. Roll Eyes

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Someone should ask her if we should get rid of locks. How about doors and windows too?

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
She cray.

Cray cray, even.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I am beyond sick and tired of the racist bullshit from the black communites and those who are not black but feed and support this nonsense.

As a non-black person, I do not tolerate racist behavior or actions when and wherever possible, and am willing to go to blows with those who do, as I also am willing to do for any number of despicable actions by others such as rape, abuse of a child, torturous harm to animals and the like.

But, those in the black communities need to step up and own their part in not speaking out with loud voices and take those in the leadership and positions of influence to task over this.

It has gone on far too long.

As long as there are more than two people on this planet, there will be prejudice, bias, and all manner of selfish behaviors.

Color and race (among other things) is just a n excuse for all sides to be selfish in some form or fashion.

And that selfishness has nothing at all to to with anything in regarding any physical trait.

So, one is either working to fight this crap or they are promoting it by inaction.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
Those screaming Racism are now the biggest race,hate and lawless fools in recent memory. I am neither racist or one who approves of such....but damn it, they be makin' it hard on the people of color.

These folks need some perspective Frown

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DrDan
posted Hide Post
The banks will love it. /sarcasm

Pass the bill and watch the businesses move to just outside city limits.

This space intentionally left blank.

Posts: 4876 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post