SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's the best free malware software for a PC?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the best free malware software for a PC? Login/Join 
posted
I have this malware that popped up on my microsoft edge that won't go away and won't let me do anything else. It's crazypotanik.info] What is the best software to get rid of it?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Maybe you could delete the offending URL so we aren't exposed to it, please?

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
Download and install the TOR browser is a good start, use only that to go online.

Posts: 1729 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Avast is free and works well against viruses.

Malwarebytes is also free and works well against malware.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
Malwarebytes Anti-malware seems to work pretty good.

https://www.malwarebytes.com/mwb-download/

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akcopnfbks:
Download and install the TOR browser is a good start, use only that to go online.

Tell me more...

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
could it be that you have a rouge extention added to your browser.

In edge, top right corner see below.
See if there is an extension installed in your browser causing issues. Still, Run malwarebytes too.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Go to malwarebytes website.

Download malwarebytes antimalware free.

Download jrt
Download adwcleaner

All three are on mbam's website

Run jrt. It kills everything running pretty much
Run adwcleaner
Select and remove everything
It will ask you to restart
After restart run an mbam malware scan and clean what it finds

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Note that the free version of malwarebytes (last time I checked) only allows you to do manual scans. It's good, but you have to get the paid version to have real-time protection and scheduled scans, as I recall.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MWills
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
Note that the free version of malwarebytes (last time I checked) only allows you to do manual scans. It's good, but you have to get the paid version to have real-time protection and scheduled scans, as I recall.

This is still true. But to me the paid version is worth the cost. I also use SuperAntiSpyware which I have used for years. Malwarebytes is a yearly subscription and I may not continue it after it expires. I'll decide when the time comes. SuperAntiSpyware was a one time purchase and all updates to the software as well as definitions are free. The SuperAntiSpyware runs daily and keeps the "cookie" files deleted. I also run Avast free antivirus

I was ​always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps ​getting harder to find one.

Posts: 392 | Location: Mark Twain land, MO | Registered: August 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In Odin we trust
Picture of akcopnfbks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
quote:
Originally posted by akcopnfbks:

Tell me more...

Reply sent to your public email.

Posts: 1729 | Location: The Northernmost Broadcast Point of Radio Free America | Registered: February 24, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
The better question is "what is the most effective AV software and what does it cost?".

Posts: 22904 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Yellow Jacket:
Malwarebytes Anti-malware seems to work pretty good.

This. Got something very similar that totally blocked me from the internet. Had some work done on computer about a year ago and the technician downloaded this and put it on my computer so I gave it a try. Cleaned it up immediately so I got the paid version and it is working great.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
As an aside to your dilemma, I used MS Edge on my new Lenovo Thinkpad laptop for about two weeks until it crippled Windows 10. At this point I can't remember the specific situation, but it had to do with a well know flaw in the Edge browser, and since its integrated into the operating system, there was no repair position. I eventually had to do an operating system reinstall to resolve the issue.

Moral of the story for me was, I will 'never' use MS' Edge browser ever again. I now run Chrome and have encountered 'zero' problems with it since install.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
The better question is "what is the most effective AV software and what does it cost?".

Okay, I'll byte.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10922 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
About two years ago one of the daughters called me from college and said she got something on her computer. I talked her through the Malwarebytes find and install process and she was good to go after that.

It is a fast, free fix for some of the worst things you can get.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1773 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
Go to malwarebytes website.

Download malwarebytes antimalware free.

Download jrt
Download adwcleaner

All three are on mbam's website

Run jrt. It kills everything running pretty much
Run adwcleaner
Select and remove everything
It will ask you to restart
After restart run an mbam malware scan and clean what it finds

I'm a rank amateur. What is mbam and jrt? I'm trying to get a windows 7 laptop cleaned up and running better. Thanks.

Posts: 11840 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
How about for the Mac platform? I picked up a bug and it is driving me nuts.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had the free Avast for a while and it was good. I got the recommendation from a computer guy I work with as he used them. Well, the wife decided to pay for the higher/better service for her new laptop and what a mistake. Apparently,Avast has had some issues within the company itself in that it has moles in it working for other companies, in that they work for a form or branch of Avast but are not part of the company or steal from them,NO joke. We had all sorts of problems with my wife's brand new computer and they finally held it for ransom, so to speak. When she downloaded the program, somehow they were able to get into her computer and start changing files and you could see the arrow icon moving about on the screen. Once it stopped moving, her computer froze up and was not operational. We called the company from the phone number listed on their website package we got from Staples and they said we never upgraded our service and they had no record of it. I told them we called the same number and they didn't care. They said they could fix it for another $150.00 on top of the $120.00 we spent for the better service. I was ready to kill them. We had to take her computer back to the store and I told the salesman at Staples what happened and he wound up giving us a new computer. I did some research after to find out about the issues Avast had. I will never advise anyone to get any service from them as we had a ton of problems. No April fool's joke. I had a thousand dollar computer that was nothing more than a paperweight.

We have Malware Bytes now and have never had a problem.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post