SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Yes, Boycott Baseball
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yes, Boycott Baseball Login/Join 
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
MLB Falls To Lower Approval Ratings Than Football

Baseball had gained in popularity due to the contrast with the absurd and selfish posturings of overpaid children in the NFL and NBA.

And then they decided to burn their own house down, because Stacey Abrams, Joe Biden, and Twitter SJWs demanded they do so.

New data from Morning Consult Brand Intelligence, which tracks consumer attitudes, indicates that MLB’s net favorability rating among Republicans plummeted from 47 percentage points in mid-March to just 12 points at the end of last week, following the league’s decision to relocate its events. Net favorability is calculated by taking the difference between the share of respondents with a positive opinion of the league and the share with a negative opinion.

MLB had the highest net favorability rating among Republicans of the four major sports leagues prior to the All-Star Game decision, but last week dropped below that of both the NHL and NFL

Jeffrey Anderson at The Federalist has a glass-half-full take on this:All Americans can now see that wokeism poisons everything, and this will not stop until WE stop it.

How The Backlash Against Major League Baseball Could Help Save America

It seems to have taken the politicization of the National Pastime to make Americans fully aware of the politicization of the country—and to be moved to take a firm stand against it.

https://thefederalist.com/2021...d-help-save-america/

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
All "professional" sports can piss off.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10895 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I loved baseball when I played. And it’s fun watching pro games in Japan and Korea. And even the occasional minor league games here.

I’ve never been a fan of pro sports though. MLB, nfl, nba, whatever. Tennis occasionally when I was actively playing. Same for golf. But nothing regular. I hate pro sports. I do not even like college sports. Mostly about celebrity thugs getting extremely overpaid. It’s not about sports but fame, riches and big business.

There is something American about baseball but there is nothing American about mlb. MLB is dirty and disgusting - no pride in America, no respect, no love of sport. Just thugs making money. Professional is a misnomer. Talented perhaps. But certainly not professional.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I have been a huge baseball fan my entire life. I lost my dad when I was ten but in that short span of time I had with him I remember him teaching me how to throw a ball, how to catch a fly, and how to swing a bat. I remember going to Fenway and basking in the glory of America’s Pastime with him.

Until last summer happened and the Sox went and painted “I Support Terrorists” (BLM) on the side of Fenway. My raggedy ass Boston ball cap went in the corner of the closet and it was replaced with a new one that just had an American flag on it.

I saw this today and it reminded me that baseball used to be full of American patriots. Now it’s just full of guys who keep their mouth shut so the paycheck’s keep coming.

These are the ball players I choose to remember. The ones today couldn't shine their shoes. Someday I hope I'll be able to wear my Sox ball cap again with pride, but I ain't holding my breath.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Unless you are a "Nielson family" or some other rating system, whether you watch or not doesn't matter.

SO TELL THEM! Tell them you've stopped watching and why.

First they fuck with the game, now this bullshit.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
SO TELL THEM! Tell them you've stopped watching and why.

I have. My sis lives on the Cape. Hyannis. Been there since 1994. She knows how much the Sox touched our family.

She and her husband will be retiring soon and moving down to Florida within the year.

Abandon blue cities. Abandon blue states. Make Red states redder.

My mom passed two years ago. I went up for the funeral. The last time I will step foot in that communist state.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Good read Chellim, thanks for posting that.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Growing up around and north of Atlanta, I watched a lot of lost Braves games only to be teased here and there until the 90’s Braves broke out. I was hooked like a edit ‘crack’ hooker to the cheapest motel flop and the next chunk. Then one of the best pitchers, Tom Glavine was thrown into the strike as a leader and all I can say is I was PISSED they denied up that win. And they did. Bobby Cox and the guys that made kit happen.
Those pitchers ruled that roost. Greg Maddox,Tom Glavine, and more. I’m done with them.ju need togetnypt

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
there's always triple A.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of g26s239
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
I love Baseball. There is something American about it. Sports in general. I do hate that everything these days is about making a political statement by those who think they have some say so in such affairs.

But again, you cannot have your cake and eat it too all the time.

We "all" know that we "all" engage and support companies who do much worse than major league baseball. Lets not kid ourselves. Virtually every place you go, everything you do, everything you buy is tainted by this.
I mean really. Don't eat or drink anything, Don't drive anything. Don't get on the internet. Don't use any pharmaceuticals. Where does it end?

I know it makes you feel better to jump on sports and chime in how you quite watching, yada, yada, yada But unless you live in a cave and never go outside you are constantly supporting companies that are opposed to your belief system and spout off about it endlessly these days.

So do not watch any sports. We got it. Emkay.

And I am not even going to go into all things virus, vaxx and saps Wink

That reads very much like the arguments used by pro illegal immigration advocates to deride the border wall. To wit If a border wall doesn't stop 100% of illegal alien land crossings it is useless.
Pro sports have taken a side in the culture wars and I don't support that side so I am done with pro sports. That's great that you so willingly carry water for MLB. Have fun with that.

Posts: 1284 | Registered: September 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
NSFW

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
How times have changed.

From 1976

https://www.breitbart.com/spor...ll-45th-anniversary/

Sunday marks the 45th anniversary of the “greatest play in baseball” by former Chicago Cubs center fielder and Marine veteran Rick Monday.

During the fourth inning of an April 25, 1976 game in which the Los Angles Dodgers hosted the Chicago Cubs, Monday famously ran across the field to surprise two fans by grabbing the American flag they were attempting to burn.

Moments before Monday grabbed the flag, two fans trespassed on the field and doused the flag with lighter fluid, and attempted to used matches to set the flag on fire. Monday has famously said he saw an opportunity to grab the flag after seeing the first match they used failed to work.

The legendary Dodgers announcer Vin Scully famously said, “It looks like he’s gonna burn a flag!”

Proceeding to say, “Rick Monday runs and takes it away from him. … I think somebody was going to set fire to the American flag. Can you imagine that.”

The protesters were arrested shortly after Monday secured the flag from them.

When Monday came up to bat in the top of the fifth inning, he received a standing ovation. The scoreboard flashed the message, “Rick Monday…you made a great play.”

Monday said, “from time to time people ask, ‘well are you upset because you spent 19 season in the major leagues and you’re known for primarily stopping two people from burning the flag,'” he continued to say, “if that’s all I’m known for that’s not a bad thing at all.”

The former baseball player in the past has also said, “It’s a good thing I did get it because I did not want any of my former drill instructors from the Marine Corps to come and say, ‘Hey Marine! Why did you stand there and watch when they ignited the American flag?’”

Posts: 19502 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sdy:
How times have changed.

Indeed Frown

Today, Monday would probably be suspended by the league and fined. He'd be lucky if he wasn't arrested and charged with assault. He'd likely be sued in civil court by the "protesters" for traumatizing them.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
AAA game on Sunday (media pic).

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jtedescucci
posted Hide Post
Ted Williams - another in a long line of True Patriots. I remember that Sears used him to promote some of their wares (shotguns, IIRC)... And I remember the little bio inset that Sears used, extolling the wonderful eyesight that Williams had. I seem to remember that they talked about how Williams could watch a pitch & tell which way the ball was rotating by watching the stitches. Hell, I usually can't even SEE the darned ball - much less tell which way it is rotating. But again, this country is BLESSED to have had citizens like Williams.

"...we have put together I think the most extensive & inclusive voter fraud organization in the history of American politics." - Joe Biden

Posts: 3043 | Location: AC/Clarksville | Registered: February 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jtedescucci:I seem to remember that they talked about how Williams could watch a pitch & tell which way the ball was rotating by watching the stitches.

The best hitters in the game, regardless of era, are able to see the ball's rotation as it leaves the pitcher's hand.
quote:
But again, this country is BLESSED to have had citizens like Williams.

Williams was an incredible hitter, an outstanding fisherman, an excellent wingman and a hell of a guy to have a drink with but, was also a horrible father, a shitty husband and was just a general all-around SOB.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
No way in hell I'd go to a game. Too many knuckleheads there.

A fan was knocked out cold by another fan after being sucker punched.

https://www.cbs8.com/article/n...8a-9ca4-3b5b4d4e17f7

https://nypost.com/2021/05/14/...punch-in-wild-video/

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10860 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Radioman - couldn't agree more.

Ballparks and stadiums are full of 40 year old adolescents, felons and trustees of modern chemistry. (Roadhouse reference) Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post