SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mass shootings, media conglomerates, and SIGforum
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mass shootings, media conglomerates, and SIGforum Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
The fact that they're so obvious about pushing it supports the argument.

I don't get the local paper, and don't receive a Sunday paper at all. The paper I do get is printed and distributed locally by the local newspaper company.

The last two times these incidents really blew up in the media, something interesting happened. I was delivered the local newspaper, including the Sunday newspaper today, rather than getting the paper I subscribe to or nothing at all. Guess what the editorial board decided would be the headline, in billboard-sized letters?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Since OAN was recommended, that's the only news we watch now. My blood pressure went down.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Turn it off. Turn all of it off.

Yep.

I rarely watch cable news, even OANN. I might get a glance at news sites, but because of this, I do not keep track of these "mass shootings". There were even some that I had not heard about. And I could care less about the details, perhaps the only exception was the San Bernardino one that was actually a terrorist attack. And that one was a benchmark of media false information and lies.

The media is in such a frenzy that any kind of crime with guns is now considered a "mass shooting".

The "news" media cannot be trusted. My signature is spot on.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mod29:
Spot on, Para. Couldn't agree with you more.

I came to post this.

Every time one of these things happens, I stop visiting other gun forums because like Para, I just don’t want to know, I don’t want to play the game they want me to play or digging through everything to learn as much about it as I can. I want to live my life and not be socially engineered. I wasn’t there, it didn’t happen to me or my family, and a hundred years ago, I would’ve never known it even happened. Why should I anguish and stress about the horrible stuff some people did? Because the media conglomeration wants me to? No thanks. I’m through being socially engineered.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also despise the stories with an agenda directed at those who are not knowledgable about firearms. WGN posted a story with the headline:" 500 rounds of ammunition delivered to wrong address in Las Vegas, lost for hours." There was also a picture or rounds of ammunition. We all know how reliable delivery services are. They even got the guy saying he was worried that it might get into the "wrong hands", be used for sinister purposes and that the would never order online again.

It was misdelivered to his neighbor,but the implication remains clear. It was funny that FEDex had no idea where the package was. Here is the quote from the story:

" Cippolino called FedEx several times. Finally, he said, a dispatcher told him they had no way of contacting the driver who was shown to have the delivered the ammo.

“I found that very questionable because in our age of technology, how could you not get a hold of someone? Especially a delivery driver,” he said."

The agenda of the writer seems quite clear.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
I prefer to get my news here as it is. It tends to be distilled down to essentials already. I can't remember the last time I actually watched news from a major media outlet.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will get by
Picture of Rustyblade
posted Hide Post
para -- I have for the past 8 or so years been actively distancing myself from The Media for the reasons you put forth. I grew up & matured during a time period of much change. One biggie for me is -- Information is power... Know your enemy. But when information is delivered by the enemy, how do you understand and work with it --- so I tuned it out.
Seem s I am in good company.
And thank you for keeping this site relevant in a time of wholesale deceit and honest against so many lies.

Do not necessarily attribute someone's nasty or inappropriate actions as intended when it may be explained by ignorance or stupidity.

Posts: 1291 | Location: Delray Beach | Registered: February 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You'll Shoot Your Eye Out!
Picture of MaThGr82
posted Hide Post
Over the last few years I've slowly watched less and less news and now only really watch local stuff. Sometimes I feel ignorant when others bring up things that are happening I feel I should know about, but at the same time, I am a lot happier.

Ignorance is bliss perhaps? I just live my life and it's a lot easier. I can't control anything I see on the national news so why bother.

Posts: 6302 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
Very insightful. Actually woke up my brain. Thanks Para.

Posts: 2861 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:

A disgusting example of twist, spin, and agenda driving I just saw this morning, Texas loosens firearm laws hours after the state's latest mass shooting left five dead.
\

I saw that too and really pissed me off.

Also saw on Fox how they keep interviewing R congress critters and baiting them to support a gun control war - equally disgusting.

What the left and the media cartel are trying to break the will of the right and this IMO would if they succeed.

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Draal
posted Hide Post
Well said, Para.

Posts: 164 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: July 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Draal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
Originally posted by mod29:
Spot on, Para. Couldn't agree with you more.

I came to post this.

Every time one of these things happens, I stop visiting other gun forums because like Para, I just don’t want to know, I don’t want to play the game they want me to play or digging through everything to learn as much about it as I can. I want to live my life and not be socially engineered. I wasn’t there, it didn’t happen to me or my family, and a hundred years ago, I would’ve never known it even happened. Why should I anguish and stress about the horrible stuff some people did? Because the media conglomeration wants me to? No thanks. I’m through being socially engineered.

Bullseye. Helped my youngest kid learn to ride a skateboard this weekend. Started working on my tube amp. Helped my oldest cope with the stress of starting High School. Turn it all off man; and live.

Posts: 164 | Location: Oak Park, IL | Registered: July 21, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire for effect
posted Hide Post
Well thought out and written, Para. Thanks!
Thanks for everything that you provide here on this forum!

"Ride to the sound of the big guns."

Posts: 7210 | Location: South Georgia | Registered: May 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MtnPlinker
posted Hide Post
Well said, Para.

You might consider starting a news channel/site that is as well versed as you on facts and how bias distorts facts.

The 50+ percent need a voice to offset the sensationalism.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Front Range CO | Registered: April 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
It’s not just when they are talking about guns.
Even the weather has become sensationalism, to help sell advertising, and politics to sell “climate change”.
Just look at how they are covering the hurricane.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
This is where I've been for quite a while. Years really. Short of what hits me in the face on the SF Public Forum.

Sometimes I feel guilty. Like I have my head in the sand. But the world keeps spinning. Except for very local news, I hide from it. Enough. Frankly, the local scene has been heartbreaking enough these past few years.

I only have one life. I'm not spending it monitoring and measuring the miseries of the world.

I absolutly agree, that the wave, no, never evening current of news is agenda-based, and over-produced to the point of nausea, or worse, human breakdown.

I am free.

Posts: 11352 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rover88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

I love my country. With all my heart, I love my country and I am so very proud to be an American. My desire to avoid the hyper-spun "news" of these tragic events does not arise from callousness, although some will see it as such, no doubt. It comes down to my utter disgust with being played with like a toy by the unethical shills of gigantic media conglomerates.

I read this paragraph three times because it so mirrored my own thoughts.

Thanks, Para. Well written piece.

Posts: 640 | Location: Johnstown, PA | Registered: February 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
Well-stated, Para.

I, too, have gotten to the point where I don't even want to hear about it any more. As with you: Not out of callousness--much less a desire to be uninformed or to avoid news I find uncomfortable or discouraging, but because I, too, have come to the conclusion somebody's trying to play me, and I won't have it.

Yeah... Para is right about this. I don't want to hear about it.
I'm out of town this weekend for my granddaughter's baptism. I haven't heard a bit of news.
It's been nice.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23942 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have to know about such events because part of my business is training others how to deal with these things. We have researched many such events and I can assure you that most media accounts are seriously flawed. I am also convinced that many of these atrocities are spurred on by the media in the first place.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
The best and most accurate response I can imagine to these sorry episodes of terror.

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post