SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    CNN mired in a credibility crisis as ratings continue to collapse, experts say
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CNN mired in a credibility crisis as ratings continue to collapse, experts say Login/Join 
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted
Cratering News Network. Big Grin

CNN is suffering a credibility crisis as viewership for the once-proud network continues to crater with a no apparent plan in place to fix things anytime soon, according to media watchdogs and insiders.

CNN’s audience shriveled in the second quarter of 2019, averaging only 541,000 total viewers while being more than doubled by Fox News Channel’s 1.3 million average in the process. But CNN struggled even more during the primetime hours of 8-11 p.m. ET, finishing as the fifteenth most-watched network on basic cable behind networks such as TLC, Investigation Discovery and the Hallmark Channel. CNN averaged a dismal 761,000 primetime viewers while FNC averaged 2.4 million.

The Hill media guru Joe Concha told Fox News that CNN's freefall may not be slowing.

“The numbers warrant concern, yes. Q2 was a particularly news-rich quarter highlighted by the release of the Mueller report and all the aftermath and controversy following it, plus the launch of several high-profile Democratic candidacies including Joe Biden and Pete Buttigieg to propel 2020 coverage into high gear,” Concha said. “It may only get worse in Q3 given the numbers we’re already seeing.”

CNN did not immediately respond when asked for comment.

CNN started off the third quarter with “the network’s lowest average since 2015” when it comes to primetime viewers among the key demographic of adults age 25-54, according to TVNewser. But the network has extended various contributors through the election, indicating that its apparent anti-Trump programming strategy will remain in place for at least the duration of the president’s first term.

“You know the answer,” a longtime CNN employee said when asked if staffers are panicked about the ratings decay before declining further comment.

Another current CNN employee told Fox News that there is widespread concern about the network’s ratings problem, but high-profile hosts such as Anderson Cooper remain unfazed.

“The people that are concerned – it’s certainly not the anchors who have lucrative contracts – it’s the people among the lower levels, such as producers and show bookers,” the employee said.

A third current staffer told Fox News that CNN “is clearly doing something wrong if the ratings are like this,” before asking, “So why don’t we try something different?”

Cable news viewership has declined in general as more and more consumers cut the cord in favor of OTT streaming services, but CNN’s losses are overwhelming. The network lost 18 percent of its audience compared to the second quarter of last year. CNN also dropped a whopping 38 percent of primetime viewers among the key demo.

“Losing nearly 40 percent of an already-third place audience must be a primary topic in internal meetings, with immediate remedies not readily apparent,” Concha said.

CNN’s most popular show averaged only 910,000 viewers. Fourteen Fox News programs and 10 MSNBC programs attracted larger audiences.

Reporter-turned-banker Porter Bibb is surprised parent company AT&T hasn't made any changes. "My guess is that senior management is more concerned about the launch of HBO Max than CNN, at least for the moment," he said.

Sagging ratings weren’t the only negative headlines generated by CNN during the second quarter, as the network reduced headcount days after publically declaring there wouldn’t be mass layoffs.

A CNN spokesperson told Fox News on May 7 that reports of looming layoffs were a “crazy rumor,” but staffers were shocked when members of the network’s Atlanta-based staff that covered health care were shown the door only two weeks later.

CNN also saw over 100 employees accept a voluntary buyout option, losing bureau chiefs and award winners in the process while the network moved into elaborate new New York City digs.

CNN began broadcasting in May from the network’s ritzy new facility in the Hudson Yards area on the West Side of Manhattan. The brand-new, state-of-the-art headquarters is part of a luxurious complex that also features condominiums which start at $4.3 million, high-end restaurants and stores such as Cartier, Rolex, Louis Vuitton and Neiman Marcus.

The second quarter also saw the release of the White House correspondent Jim Acosta’s anti-Trump book. Before its June release, one current CNN employee told Fox News that CNN’s Acosta might not be the right person to cover Trump’s White House these days.

“Jim Acosta is, a lot of times, asking the right questions but it doesn’t always need to be about him and his grandstanding,” the CNN staffer said. “People get tired of it. Acosta is supposed to be a correspondent reporting the facts but you can’t tell the difference between him and a paid pundit.”

MSNBC’s recent Democratic presidential primary debate attracted a large audience, and CNN is set to host its own version later this month. The event would typically be a reason for optimism, but CNN announced on Monday that opinion host Don Lemon would a moderator, raising eyebrows in the process as respected journalists such as Erin Burnett and Poppy Harlow remain on the sideline.

Debate moderators are historically straight-news journalists, as opposed to partisan pundits, but CNN’s decision mirrors NBC’s strategy to allow Rachel Maddow to moderate last month’s Democratic Debate. CNN has continued to label Lemon an “anchor” despite him spouting anti-Trump opinions on a regular basis.

Conservative strategist Chris Barron told Fox News that CNN’s decision is “a disservice to voters all across the political spectrum” because Lemon – whose beleaguered primetime show has contributed to the network's ratings crisis -- is so open about his own views.

DePauw University professor and media critic Jeffrey McCall recently told Fox News that Lemon is no longer a news anchor in the traditional sense because of his partisan rhetoric.

“He is a host of an opinion-driven show in which his opinions are front and center. Thus, he is a host rather than a news anchor,” McCall said. “His show does discuss news topics, but it is not designed as an objective news show.”

In recent memory, Lemon has compared Trump to Adolf Hitler, then claimed he “didn’t mean” to compare the president and Hitler. He has also called Trump a “racist,” a “fraud,” “con man,” questioned whether or not the State of the Union should air on a delay to avoid “propaganda," declared that he wouldn’t shake the president’s hand and questioned Trump’s mental fitness.

“To pretend he’s not an opinion host is lunacy,” a CNN employee told Fox News.

Lemon has also suggested Trump doesn’t do enough work, speculated on whether or not the president lies about his weight, tied Trump to the college admissions cheating scheme and took a shot at Trump as he was giving his colleague Chris Cuomo a brief tour of his new studio, suggesting that the president can't afford such a lavish space since he isn't a "real billionaire."

One certainty is that Lemon wasn’t selected to lift the debate’s viewership totals. Lemon’s “CNN Tonight” finished the second quarter of 2019 as the 35th most-watched show on cable news.

https://www.foxnews.com/entert...nn-ratings-don-lemon

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Hey I know! Y'all might want to consider quit telling lies.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
They should change their name to TBN (Trump Bashing Network). Their hatred for Trump is such that they don't care about losing viewers (money). Sad.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Hill media guru Joe Concha told Fox News that CNN's freefall may not be slowing.

I hear Tom Petty in my head, and its a sweet song:

Oh (Free fallin', now I'm free fallin', now I'm)
Free fallin' (Free fallin', now I'm free fallin', now I'm)
Now I'm free (Free fallin', now I'm free fallin', now I'm)
Oh, free fallin' (Free fallin', now I'm free fallin', now I'm)
(Free fallin', now I'm free fallin', now I'm) Free fallin'

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Bashing is okay. But it needs to be done with integrity, sincerity and w/out pushing an agenda. If someone does something wrong though, bash away. But it's ridiculous to try to find fault in everything a person does. That's basically psychopathic obsession.

The problem is that CNN bashes without all the things news should be - factual, comprehensive, sincere, truthful (not half truths or partial truths which lead to misleading inferences), etc.

CNN is dishonest, hysterical, sensationalist, biased/agenda driven to the extreme, misleading, patronizing, condescending, etc. IOW, everything normal/reasonable people should hate in a person. CNN gets no respect because they don't deserve any.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
And yet CNN doubles down on their idiocy on a daily basis, CONVINCED they are right. What idiots...JSMH.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11052 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
A third current staffer told Fox News that CNN “is clearly doing something wrong if the ratings are like this,” before asking, “So why don’t we try something different?

I’d recommend not lying and constantly shilling for the demorats against Trump, but I’m afraid they might listen. I’m content to watch them trailing smoke in a steep dive from high altitude.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
This is what you get when you go full-tilt anti-Trump LIBTARD!

I have zero sympathy.

FUCK EM!

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
And yet CNN doubles down on their idiocy on a daily basis, CONVINCED they are right. What idiots...JSMH.

No chances they're "convinced" they are right. They know they lie, but they don't care. When your network is led by a true Trump hater Zucker who gives his people marching orders everyday to make Trump look bad no matter what, you are fucked. What surprises me is that CNN's parent company just let things slide. When you're in business, you want to make money, not lose it.

Q

Posts: 26203 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:

"... with immediate remedies not readily apparent."

The remedy--there is only one--would be readily apparent if the PTB at CNN didn't have their collective head buried firmly in a place the sun don't shine.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
When you're in business, you want to make money, not lose it.

Not to these ultra leftists, they actually are willing to lose money to advance the agenda. That's what makes them dangerous.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
They should hire that female soccer captain from the US Team to help them with ratings

Posts: 23238 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So at the current rate of decline, CNN, if they make no changes, will put themselves out of business within a year or so. Usually once broke a company can be purchased, but CNN as we know it may be business by sometime in 2021.

I will not lose any sleep over this.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I am more than happy to see them in a death spiral

They have not been a news outlet in almost 2 decades - and its just catching up to them now

I hope the network folds and all these pontificating buffoons find themselves standing in the unemployment line

they're all worthless people and I don't think that even if they started telling the truth tomorrow anyone would believe them - they've been liars for so long

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only dead fish
go with the flow
Picture of pessimist
posted Hide Post
CNN is not going to collapse. CNN is a propaganda machine. I don't mean that in a derogatory way; I mean it literally. As such, making a profit would just be gravy but it isn't required. It will be funded regardless.

When the time comes that CNN loses its effectiveness, it will be bought, merged, reinvented etc under a new name and continue on the exact same mission it's on now.

They're not stupid, they're not doubling down, they're not out of touch, they're doing exactly what they intend.

The fact that most people can't seem to grasp this demonstrates how successful and effective they actually are.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: March 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
RIP

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
Finally, good news!

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:

No chances they're "convinced" they are right. They know they lie, but they don't care. When your network is led by a true Trump hater Zucker who gives his people marching orders everyday to make Trump look bad no matter what, you are fucked. What surprises me is that CNN's parent company just let things slide. When you're in business, you want to make money, not lose it.

That's the thing, that confuses me. The hosts, editors, and ownership knows they are peddeling snake oil. It's proven ineffective at both getting ratings and removing Trump from office. Why do they continue down this path, they can't really be willing to destroy 10's or 100's of millions of market cap, just to unfruitfully remove the president.

What gives? Really willing to hack off their nose to spite their face? Just doesn't make sense to me.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
when you recognize that its being run by the mentally ill and its target audience have IQ's in the middle double digits, its easy to lie to people that are essentially illiterate

thats their target audience

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53085 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Clearly the answer for CNN is to move farther left. The move from center left to left/progressive didn't get the job done.

I think going full commie/anarchist is the answer. Their motto could be; "We are more Communist than Bernie".

Posts: 3853 | Location: Citrus County Florida | Registered: October 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post