SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    CNN mired in a credibility crisis as ratings continue to collapse, experts say
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CNN mired in a credibility crisis as ratings continue to collapse, experts say Login/Join 
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
It's common knowledge that CNN, The Onion, The Colbert Report, MSNBC, The Daily Show and Saturday Night Live and are all minimally entertaining parody news shows. Surely noone out there is dumb enough to actually believe its real news.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
Is there any chance that this is costing ted turner money?

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
CNNDNC's ratings have been dropping for a while, but they chose to double down on being fascist propaganda, like MSDNC, and they don't seem to care.

Posts: 8603 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark_a:
Is there any chance that this is costing ted turner money?

CNN’s parent company is Time Warner. I am not sure what impact CNN has on TW earnings.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
They don't seem to think there's anything to fix. They continue to double down on the same old suspects.
Promote Anderson Cooper and Trump bad and stupid, about absolutely anything.
Rinse and repeat, all day long.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7232 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
A news agency should report verified facts and let the viewers decide what the story means to them. In my mind all news agencies strayed from their primary goal when they started putting 'spin' on stories to influence public opinion.

They dove off the cliff when they took a political stance and used that as the lens used to project the stories.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
When your stock in trade is credibility and you destroy it, what other consequence could there be?

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mired in the
Fog of Lucidity
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4850 | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zapfire:
don't understand why people watch their lies.

It took me a very long time to understand why people who hate a BS media network continue to watch (and indirectly support) it. It finally dawned on me, though, that the vast majority of Americans watch so-called “news” programs not to be informed, but to be entertained. Sometimes they’re entertained by attacks on people they don’t like, but very often they’re entertained just as much by being outraged and being given the opportunity to rail at the personalities who present that entertainment: It’s really no different than going to an old-timey type melodrama at the Butte Theater in Cripple Creek and hissing the villain.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Acosta is supposed to be a correspondent reporting the facts but you can’t tell the difference between him and a paid pundit.”

....actually, you can't tell the difference between him and a pants full in a diarrhea ward

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
as a thought exercise, knowing what you know about all the performers at CNN

which one would you trust if they decided to tell the truth, and then how long would it be before they started to lie again?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I was watching some content on PlutoTV (or possibly Tubi) and damned if a dumbass CNN spot come up during commercial breaks. It showed an apple and decried those who screamed it was a banana saying "facts first" implying that they have the right goods. Fucking delusional bullshit. Frown

I won't foul the forum with it but for those curious here's a duckduckgo search result:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=cnn+...na+commercial&ia=web

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
quote:
CNN also saw over 100 employees accept a voluntary buyout option, losing bureau chiefs and award winners in the process while the network moved into elaborate new New York City digs.

But Democrats are always so fiscally responsible...

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
as a thought exercise, knowing what you know about all the performers at CNN

which one would you trust if they decided to tell the truth, ...

None. They've demonstrated they're not to be trusted.

See: That's the thing about a good reputation: Hard to attain, easy to lose, nearly impossible to to ever truly regain.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
They can't become defunct soon enough for me, however I guarantee they will DEMAND government funding for the sake of "equal time" for opposing views.

Federal funded public broadcasting is 100% commie Trump bashing and I am sick of paying for it.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post