SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Where did 22 cats go in two weeks in a town of 500 residents?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where did 22 cats go in two weeks in a town of 500 residents? Login/Join 
Picture of cparktd
posted
Small rural town, don't even have a red light...
Here is an e-mail received from the city today.

----
Over the course of the last two weeks, there has been 22 cats reported missing in Bell Buckle. We do not know if this is the result of a person(s) or an animal. We would like everyone to be attentive to this situation and please let Chief Tommy Wiley or Mayor Ronnie Lokey know should you see anything that relates to this situation. We all love our pets and want to protect them the best we can. Best to all work together to hopefully end this sad two week trend.
----

As someone with a rescue cat that spends roughly 50% of its time outside I am concerned!

More than one reported missing per day... and probably more that have not been reported. We virtually never see a stray dog or cat.

What you thunk... Man or beast most likely responsible.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
Chinese restaurant?

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3956 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hoping it's a 4 legged animal and not a 2 legged one.

Coyotes, wild dogs is a possibility in your area.

If it's a 2 legged one, there's a lot more problems than killin cats.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8322 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
If he was a little closer I might have thought SR borrowed them to fix his squirrels problem... Big Grin

No Chinese restaurants within 10 miles.

We do have some distant coyotes you can sometimes hear but they don't seem to come into town.

Posts: 4118 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
“We do have some distant coyotes you can sometimes hear but they don't seem to come into town”

If you can hear them, they are coming into town....and that’s where your cats are going.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orthogonal
posted Hide Post
It could be a lover of song birds ....

Frown

Posts: 519 | Registered: May 03, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Poison.

Posts: 7524 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
We had several feral cats living in the fields behind our house before the winter of 2017-18. Coyotes drove our dog crazy, she was behind a tall chain link fence but we still did not let her out when they started yipping or when she heard something in the night.

They moved on a few month later and must have taken the cats along with them one way or the other. Wink

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8067 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bytes:
Poison.

I'd guess this.

My cats don't leave my house unless I'm carrying them, or they are leashed.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
We have lots of song birds in our community, and never see cats roaming. We do, however, hear coyotes at night. Hmmmm....

Posts: 18018 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
.....chupakabra???

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9849 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of giz55792
posted Hide Post
Birds of prey will make quick work of a cat if it's outside

Posts: 711 | Location: Virginia, MN | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by signewt:
.....chupakabra???

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
If nobody is hearing shots randomly here and there, my guess is coyotes. They are smart efficient cat hunters (along with everything else they can tackle. Once they figure out there is an easy to find and catch food source, they will quickly exploit it.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15502 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Were they allowed to roam free? If so how can they be protected “the best they can”. When you let your pet roam off your property it’s pretty hard to protect them.

As far as hearing shots I have a .22 cal pellet rifle that makes very little noise that is quite accurate at 50 yards so even if shots aren’t heard two legged predator can’t be ruled out.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Are there coyotes around? We had one sometimes 2 coyotes around for almost two years one time in my neighborhood. A lot of cats disappeared around that time. I worked 2nd and 3rd shift at that time and personally saw a coyote with a cat in its mouth two different times, coming home in the dark. Cats are no match for a coyote in the night. It did not stop till people started keeping their cats inside at night time. Coyotes are some of the best hunters out there... especially at night.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't poison would leave dead bodies and kill indiscriminately? If the critters are vanishing w/out a trace I'd say yotes got em.

Posts: 4683 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
Wouldn't poison would leave dead bodies and kill indiscriminately? If the critters are vanishing w/out a trace I'd say yotes got em.
Agreed.

Yotes would be my guess. My dogs go crazy sometimes at night and we kill them whenever we spot them.

They are stealthy bastards but we knocked em down a few notches the past year and most of them have moved along.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
quote:
Over the course of the last two weeks, there has been 22 cats reported missing in Bell Buckle. We do not know if this is the result of a person(s) or an animal. We would like everyone to be attentive to this situation and please let Chief Tommy Wiley or Mayor Ronnie Lokey know should you see anything that relates to this situation. We all love our pets and want to protect them the best we can. Best to all work together to hopefully end this sad two week trend.

Any new menu items at the Cafe?

In all seriousness that’s strange. I’m thinking coyote as well

Think I might come up to the cafe this weekend. It’s one of my favorite places.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
The Coyotes we hear sound a mile or more away, could be them I guess but why now? 22 in two weeks and none before in 4 years?

We have Fox right behind our house and a big Owl that comes around sometimes around dusk.

I found a dead fox in the back yard about a month ago, it looked very poorly, malnourished, with a rough dull coat... but no cat carcass have been found.

Our cat uses the litter box 100% but I hate not letting her out every day she loves it so much. She's a good hunter herself and is spayed and up on shots. She brings in birds, mice, lizards, snakes and even a mole but rarely wanders off the place. After me fighting and loosing the fight with moles for 3 years one year with her and now we have none.