SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Where did 22 cats go in two weeks in a town of 500 residents?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Where did 22 cats go in two weeks in a town of 500 residents? Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Lots of coyotes and predators in that area, many at my co-workers land in Christiana. I have them in my yard in Murfreesboro also, and a large bobcat.

Or maybe some whack job is rounding them up

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
why now? 22 in two weeks and none before in 4 years?

A couple of rogue coyotes passing through?

The local killer whales eat salmon, transient whales eat seals.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13400 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
If he was a little closer I might have thought SR borrowed them to fix his squirrels problem... Big Grin

Ummm... I just need them a few more days.

Posts: 4887 | Location: Raleigh, North Carolina | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
something going around , maybe?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54638 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
My grandmother was from Bell Buckle, Tennessee. Just sayin....

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of John Steed
posted Hide Post
Has anyone thought about putting up a few strategically located (and well camouflaged) trail cameras?

... stirred anti-clockwise.

Posts: 2084 | Location: Michigan | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John Steed:
Has anyone thought about putting up a few strategically located (and well camouflaged) trail cameras?

Done, downtown. This photo below is the only thing caught so far... you might have to lighten up your screen to even see anything. It could very well be a coyote... or a dog... there is a big town dog that hangs out down there near the gas station. More and better cameras are being worked on I understand.

I have had cats my whole life... 13 at one time when I was about 5 yr old. Just one at a time for the last several decades though. One thing I know is cats make a huge ruckus when fighting or attacked. How in the world would 32 cats be taken by coyotes within a 1 mile radius of downtown, in a town of 500, and no one has as heard a single thing... Also no bodies, bones or even fur found... No dogs are missing.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
something going around , maybe?

I thought maybe rabies or something highly contagious, I found a dead fox in my back yard about 6 weeks ago. But there are no cat bodies found, not even one...

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't local or county animal control people know if rabies was going around?

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8344 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I live on the east side of the river here in Jacksonville which is to say the built up suburbia area and we have coyotes in our neighborhoods. Every so often the news reports it when they are caught on a security camera and a few years back when I was still working nights i saw 3 of them up the street from me around 3 am when i was having a cigar out in a the garage.

My point is that if you have coyotes in your part of the country, you have them downtown. They are adaptable and will live anywhere there is a food source.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3851 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe I live just north of you up 231 across the county line and I can hear the coyotes at night. They haven't bothered the cats around here though.

Posts: 872 | Location: TN | Registered: December 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Any news on this?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
While that is a poor pic, it looks like a yote to me.

It wouldn't take more than 1-4 of those to decimate the cat / small dog population.

They tore through a bunch of waterfowl around here until we put them down / ran them off.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Don't most jurisdictions treat cats roaming free the same as any other feral animal? It would seem that if you love your cat, you would keep it indoors. A cat's lifespan is greatly increased when not left to roam, as is the bird population. When I lived in a townhouse, I was amazed by how many people felt it was their cat's "right" to be left free to come over and crap by my barbecue grill.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arlen
posted Hide Post
How many cats will you see in two weeks? 22?
That is amazing! If you see 22 cats in two weeks, you definitely have a cat problem in a town of 500 people. Need to call the National Guard or something to get rid of them.

Regards,
arlen

======================
Some days, it's just not worth the effort of chewing through the leather straps.
======================

Posts: 408 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don't most jurisdictions treat cats roaming free the same as any other feral animal? It would seem that if you love your cat, you would keep it indoors. A cat's lifespan is greatly increased when not left to roam, as is the bird population. When I lived in a townhouse, I was amazed by how many people felt it was their cat's "right" to be left free to come over and crap by my barbecue grill.

Yup. They are extremely destructive to many native species. It is in their nature to hunt and kill, even if they are not hungry. True ferals do not get a pass in my neighborhood.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15576 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also no bodies, bones or even fur found.

I would bet on coyotes. It's not unusual for smaller animals like cats to totally disappear in the wake of coyotes. To be sure there is plenty of fur, bones, etc. to be found but you're not looking in the right places. Coyotes often bring their kills back to their dens to eat in comfort and more importantly to teach the young ones how to kill. We found a coyote den on our property once that we didn't even know was there. About 150 yards from the house. It was in an abandoned groundhog den. Bits of fur and bone scattered around the entrance. As soon as the bitch discovered that we found the den, activity stopped. She moved the pups overnight.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
No updates and no additional missing cats reported on social media or by the mayor. My E-mail to city hall where the original notice came from for an update went unanswered.

I'll address a couple raised issues or questions.

Still no reports of any missing small dogs.

None of the missing cats were feral, all reported were pets.

I have only seen 2 cats and 3 or 4 dogs running loose in ~4 years here, other than mine, so no, we were never overrun with strays.

Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
ALF perhaps?

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post